Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's 4K like the 24" and 16"...

2. crazycat

crazycat Pen Pal - Newbie

Even at 32" with the dreadful 16:9, 4K is still 138 PPI, plenty sharper than 100PPI of the 22HD or your run of the mill 22" Cintiq alternative. 138 PPI is also equal to 16" FullHD, which is the decent resolution for most user. At 4K it's already way above competitor so I don't see Wacom wanting to go above that.

On the other hand, I doubt the practicality of 32". Using a 32" monitor half a meter away is different from use it up to your face. Even at 20" , I already have trouble keeping the whole display in my full range of vision, let alone 32".Another concern is front glass thickness. If it's as thick as 4mm, parallax on a 32" would be much more prevalent even with calibration (a small shift in sitting posture might already require a recalibration). Fully laminated is not practical for serviceability and feel too fragile, so a sweet spot is probably 1-1.5mm.

The 24" seem to be the best of both world though. At that resolution + a greatly sensitive pen, it would be the closest experience to real pen on paper. I look forward to the day we can draw perfectly smooth picture without the need to zoom in:D

3. Shogmaster

The only "benefit" of 32" over 24" I can think of is being able to engage in 11 point multi touch action for some of us when reeeally get excited about doing some work ifyouknowwhatimean...

I'll see myself out.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Koryand'R likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

What kind of art YOU been doing lately?? :eek:

Koryand'R likes this.
  5. Shogmaster

Ummm... Weiner Werkstatte pieces?

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

32inches is a perfect size for a drawing tablet!

I joke. That sounds too far. I like big tablets more than most people but a 27inch is probably the biggest I'd want to go.

I use a humble 24inch at home and that's decent but the ppi is a bit garbage.
    Still feels like it would be hard to justify changing. It's kinda fun owning products for ages.

7. crazycat

crazycat Pen Pal - Newbie

To be honest, 32" could works if it were 3:2, You can still reach every where comfortably with that aspect ratio.

16:9? Those horizontal space on both side are either wasted or be a pain on the shoulder (literally). It's too wide to reach for tools or layers and is difficult to find a good posture to calibrate the whole display properly. And if you only use one part of the screen and keep reference on another, it will be a pain on the neck instead. Better use a smaller cintiq and a second monitor.

I know Wacom think 16:9 is great for producing widescreen content and that is true, but ONLY for widescreen content.
    For anything else like drawing comic book, designing character, drawing monster cards and it is ****.

A 3:2 monitor can create every kind of content without screen wasted:
    -For widescreen content, arrange every tools and panel horizontally to the top or bottom of the display
    -For portrait contents, keep tools and panels vertically on two side and draw in the middle.

16:9 is good for viewing contents but doesn't leave room for tools to create contents, and this thing is intended to be a creatior's tool, it's sad.

Edit: I take it back, 32" is too big even at 3:2, should have gone with 27"

8. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Why stop at 5K? What about the 8K AH-IPS panel from LG that Dell uses in their $5000 UP3218K? There's still time, start lobbying Wacom... :D
    Though I don't want to know what Wacom would charge for that....:eek:

I think there is really only one reason for Wacom sticking with 16:9: costs.
    In that size, with 16:9 they have options on the shelf so to speak (cheap-ish) whereas with 3:2 you have to have it manufactured just for you (expensive). While the Studio is of course also intended to make money for MS, I would argue it's primary role is a marketing tool for Windows.
    So for MS it makes more sense to throw money at R&D and go with more costly options like 3:2 to have something to show off.
    For Wacom on the other hand, it is all about the bottom-line and that means reducing costs. It is their bread and butter and they are not going to give you anymore than they absolutely have to (case in point: the missing stand on the MSP). Since the Studio is still the only non-16:9 competition, Wacom seemingly isn't feeling the pressure yet.

Azzart likes this.
  9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

There's no such thing as too big or too high a resolution when it comes to drawing tablets. :D

No really, after a while even the 27 felt small and crowded when I used it in Landscape mode. In portrait mode it was excellent though: aside from the scarce resolution it was like drawing on an A2 sheet of paper. Like this:
    Immagine 6.jpg

kvoram likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I completely agree....I'm a big guy with long arms....and my 21ux Cintiq is literally perfect for me. Now I've used the Surface Studio in stores plenty and while its 28-inch screen is fantastic.....I was stretching and found it difficult to use the top of the device for toolbars and other access that's usually always located at the top of the UI....and that's with the Surface Studio already having relatively slim bezels all around. With now an even larger 32-inch beast.....with the enlarged bezel all around to boot....the actual screen portion will begin much higher much up then the Studio's does..........you'll have to climb over your screen to reach the File and Edit drop down menus.