Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

New preview up, he doesn't have the device but this guy generally goes into more technical gotchas and will point out negatives.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Of course I"m arguing based on my specific use scenario. Aside from photo's on line I can see of other work stations....that's really the only frame of reference I can put it in...unless you know someplace that will just let me use their workstations no problem. Unless you actually work on a workstation, you have no idea how intuitive or productive the set up is gonna be for you.

And yeah....if you can save using any cables and connections, and also use shorter ones, then I would say you have definitely saved clutter. And honestly the need to rotate 24-inch or larger display is superficial and unnecessary given most problems like Clip Studio and Photoshop allow you to rotate the canvas in the application alot easier then rotating the entire display. And as I've already said...moving the display around your desk would still be easier since you only have to worry about its placement in regards the the power source.

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

He says the Xeon cpu is a server/workstation processor.
    I think he's wrong again and this Xeon is "just" the mobile version, same kind you can find on the Lenovo P70. At the very best the Xeon E3 1535M V6, which isn't exactly a mind blowing cpu. (I love how absurdly complicated is the naming for the Xeon family :D )

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have to admit, I myself had no clue they even made "Mobile" Xeon processors. But my only exposure to Xeon's are when in reference to Macs Pros. So used to seeing Core Ms, i5's and i7's everywhere else. For those who don't specifically encounter them often, I would have drawn the same assumption that is a server/workstation cpu. I'm personally still in awe when I discovered that Core i9's were actually a thing a few months ago.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  5. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Same. I don't think they have actually announced the exact model/speed CPU. He's making an assumption based on what they released I guess. A Xeon typically is a workstation CPU but good catch.

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

How bout we just agree to disagree on the definition of "wire clutter"? In my opinion wire clutter is more than just adding up the total length of cabling.

You need look at wire discreetness, routing flexibility, and for Cintiqs, how much they interfere with physical movement. Any time you're attaching more wires to the monitor, you're losing in one of those respects.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  7. Azzart

Aside from the form factor that's just too slick to have room for the usual necessary heatsink+fan of a desktop cpu, they used a mobile graphic card so I'd say it's only normal to expect a mobile cpu going along with that.

8. Marty

But the Intel guys did it with the Hades Canyon NUC. They crammed a 100W i7-8809G in there, that's pretty "desktop" class to me. ;)

9. Azzart

The Intel guys.
    You remember it's wacom we're talking about here, don't you? :D
    Besides even that i7 is a mobile chip and the 100W tdp is for the entire cpu+gpu package.

Edit:
    To clarify: wacom isn't exactly known for its good engineering when it comes to computer...

10. Marty

They are butt end of jokes on this forum with regards to cooling, so yeah. :)

The MSP16 always seemed a little under-powered for its size, but still sold well (it seems). Do you think this will be the same?

(Man, how does Wacom keep getting away with this at those prices!)