Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. godofiron

godofiron Pen Pal - Newbie

Very interesting.

So if the whole system can be made an upgradeable all in one, what sort of form factor for the upgradeable part would be required? would you just slide any old laptop in there, like a gameboy cartridge?

or would it be tablet PCs only? I can't imagine how that would be made possible, as opposed to just buying a laptop/computer to put beside the tablet, as people have always done.

DaniJoy and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. dumbo

dumbo Pen Pal - Newbie

All in one does not interest me, upgradeable or not. Boy that 32" is so tempting!!!!!

DaniJoy likes this.
  3. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

This guy thinks is some kind of pen drive thing.

He also says there is a new Wacom Link coming out? Already?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Completely wrong.
    There's an enormous empty space behind the cintiq that's visible in the video from wacom: that's the space you will slide in a mini pc box that should be at least the size of a PlayStation 4.
    I don't know why he would think of something as useless for a creative as a system on a pendrive.

5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't really get the All-In-One form factor; why would locking your Cintiq to a fixed entity when computing power and requirements are always changing be at all desirable?

Maybe for users who don't have any interest in even thinking about computers, who just want to buy a drawing board and get to work? I suppose I can see a market for that.

However...

That's for today. The future is going to be a different story. The gameboy slot, (as godofiron aptly described it a couple of posts up from here), is interesting.

I think we're definitely going to hit a point where powerful computers of the future simply won't require a whole lot of physical space, where the idea of a tower PC will seem as dated and silly as the room-sized main frames of old. When the bulk of a device will be there not to contain the actual computer, but rather to accommodate the size of the user.

Running cables to and from a computer the size of a thumb drive makes far less sense than simply tucking the computer into the device. That seems like a very natural progression. -But right now, we're in the early Cretaceous period of that evolution. I think one of the design goals ought to be where an artist can slide a big work surface into an art bag and take it to a life drawing class with no more hassle or thought than one would give to a big newsprint pad. An AIO would be pretty much essential for that, and one where the brain is something you can swap out for a better brain makes a lot of sense.

godofiron, DaniJoy and Marty like this.
  6. icecoldart

icecoldart Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I don't get that idea as well, but looking back and judging the wacom stands either the old one or new one for what they are... I'm pretty sure that company's engeneers manage to pull riddicilous ideas through.... xD

Although if it would hold your mobile workstation laptop i could see it work, declutter your desk space a bit I guess.

There's surprisingly little footage from CES 2018 and little info on region pricing.

DaniJoy likes this.
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

While its true there are many AIO's sold (most of the consumer priced ones) that are not meant to be upgraded or tinkered with, we now have many AIO's that are gaming desktops and have fully upgradeable desktop components, (notably you are stuck with the same screen though) but regardless there is certainly an argument to be made for the benefit of less clutter, wires and unsightly towers poking out from under the desk. I personally love the DIY desk-towers, where PC enthusiasts will hide all of the desktop in a flat arrangement inside a custom drawer or compartment of a desk surface to similar effect.
    With the trend towards smaller more compact towers and mini-PC's, and the popularity of i-Macs minimalism, I feel like this is only a natural move for Wacom. My theory and hope is that they are really mostly selling a customize-able mini-PC enclosure that you can swap RAM, SSD, GPU and CPU out of. There may be size requirements that would need to be considered of course such as laptop parts instead of full desktop parts, which may limit the selection, but it should be completely upgradeable to be a success. When you consider how desirable and beautiful the Surface Studio looked and the positive response it got despite its price tag, --I think for me at least--, I sat there wondering how long it would be before we could get something similar to the Studio but with Wacom tech inside...

DaniJoy, dumbo and thatcomicsguy like this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

But speaking of iMac-esque minimalism, I loved the fact that the 13"/16" Cintiq Pros and Dell Canvas all used ultra sleek, thin chassis. But this new AIO slot at least doubles the thickness of the 32" Cintiq!

[​IMG]

All my PC builds are those compact towers hidden away for an ultra-clean desk space—which is exactly why I don't want it strapped to the back of my drawing monitor.

From a cabling perspective, in a traditional setup you are looking at two cables for display power and data vs. one/two power cables for a Cintiq AIO. And in the case of one power cable, you are almost guaranteed to get gimped performance from the AIO, unless you are using an ultra thick 300W+ cable, which is pretty much the size of 2 cables in itself!

So there's no real advantage in terms of desk minimalism. If given the choice, I would much rather have that 4K 32" screen in a Dell Canvas-sized chassis.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I don't see it any ticker than the Cintiq 27...

DaniJoy likes this.
  10. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

yeah i dont get it either. Im a bit of a control freak on my work hardware, i like big towers with lots of air flow and easy to replace parts.

Perhaps its more for the hollywood studio / game creatives that constantly have to move to new production areas.