Wacom Cintiq Pro 4K 24" and 32" coming in January 2018

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, Jul 11, 2017.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wacom is finally updating their high-end Cintiq products. They announced two new Cintiq Pros, both with 4K displays and coming in 24" and 32".

Not much else is known, here are the few facts Wacom has presented:

Display: 24" and 32", 4K, 1 billion colors, edge-to-edge glass
    Pen: the current Pro Pen 2
    Prices: in the US from $1,999 to $3,299
    Release: January 2018

The announcement: http://wacomcintiqpro.wacom.com/

I guess the reason for the early announcement is that they needed people to know this before Dell starts selling their Canvas and more people start eyeing the Surface Studio...

2. kvoram

Following this announcement, in Europe Wacom is offering a 450€ discount from the full price of the 27" QHD but only in their own store.

To put things in perspective, here is a physical screen size comparison, 28" 3:2 Studio vs. the 16:9 MobileStudio Pro 13/16 and Cintiq 22/24/27/32.
    While the Studio is essentially a higher 27" Cintiq, the 32" Cintiq is essentially a wider Studio:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  3. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

That is a pretty wide price range, they aren't doing the non touch skews again are they?

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm preparing a spot on my desk for that 24" 4K Cintiq Pro for sure!! :cool:
    Talk about the sweet spot!

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

32" is going full retard on size. The current 27" is too big for most ppl's desks. And why bother with 24 and 32" both being 4K? 32" should be at least 5K to justify its existence.

It really should have been just 16", 22" and 28".

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm somewhat skeptical of the practicality of the 32-incher myself. If they cut down on the massively oversized Bezel maybe.....but with those huge empty Bezels Wacom is all high on now...coupled with those oversized hinge contraptions.....the weight and size of this monstrosity might be as scary as the price....(I'm guessing.....$6000)....this thing would probably be more at home as Wacoms answer to the Surface Hub then a Cintiq solution.

Now what they should do....take a few cues from the Surface Studio......Slim the Bezels down significantly.....and get the screen as thin as possible.....even with the EMR Sensor board.....there is no reason why they can't make the screen as slim as the Surface Studios....and then they should offer a similar Zero-G hinge....but wider of course to better balance the device, and a greater level of recline than the Surface Studios.....maybe not fully flat, but as least as low as the 21ux could go. Now along with the Slim Bezels....they could ditch the Express Key Remote, and instead put out their own Surface Dial Rippoff (Bluetooth this time please, it is becoming a USB-C world afterall).....but add alot more functionality.....almost like gaming mice that have like 10 or more express keys on them......think how much more useful the Surface Dial would be if it was a bit larger and had a slew of express keys on its top and/or sides. Maybe have like grooves or contours in the wheel dial to help spin the wheel without hitting any buttons. And like the Surface Dial it could be use standalone or on top of the screen, making it more accessible when need be then even the remote could go.

7. kvoram

Wacom has now also put out a press release. Looks like this is going to be an extended teaser campaign until its release with more details to be put on the teaser page continuously:

www.wacom.com/en-de/about-wacom/news-and-events/2017/1250

Price is known, "only" $3299.

Wacom has proven itself incompetent to make a simple stand for the MSP13/16 for almost a year now. Zero-G hinge? Zero chance!?!

As for slim bezels, well, I am not an artist so I never worked for very long stretches of time on my 22" Cintiq. So while I am also in favor of slim bezels I can understand that some want those bezels. That being said, a 32" display alone is almost the same size as the 27QHD with bezels.
    So unless gorillas and bears start using Cintiqs, I doubt anyone would feel the need for pairing a 32" display into what might be 40" with bezels. But the teaser graphics hint at the same bezels as before.
    I think a great addition would be foldable bezels at the side that you simply rotate behind the screen if not needed. Something designed like the stand for Lenovo's Yoga Tab that additionally locks into place.

Regarding screen size in general, I have been using regular 30-32" displays for close to a decade now and it is an awesome size. You feel overwhelmed only briefly before falling in love. Ah, the joy I would feel if f I could put my 32" down like the Studio...

Marty likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

You need to be able to place the Expresskey Remote on the bezels, so there no way they’re going to part with them.

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

More and more I think about it, 32" is a huge mistake.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It all depends on resolution. The 27 isn't all that big of a screen when you get used to it but due to it's low resolution for that size you couldn't accomodate much in that screen. Or have a particularly crisp image while zoomed out.
    I'd like tu use a 32" at 5k.