Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Options Worthwhile? (Touch and Pro Engine)

Discussion in 'Artists' started by IAmTheChin, Oct 4, 2018.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The old 21UX model is available on eBay these days for a nominal price. It's an absolutely excellent workhorse, minus all the niceties the last decade's worth of refinement have to offer. I got tons of great work done on my old Cintiq, and in some ways, I even prefer it to my super-star Dell Canvas. With the right driver, the pen action "Just Works", which is no small thing even today. Parallax is one of those things new users worry about with undue consideration, (imho), until they realize it's a non-issue when you have a reliable hover cursor.

I experimented on an old TabletPC from the Penabled days, (back when the idea of pen tablets were first introduced in the early 2000's, and I fell in love with it instantly.

I've done a little bit of Illustrator work, and found it frustrating as hell, but none of that had to do with the tablet, but rather just Adobe's GUI logic being difficult to penetrate for newbies.

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree with Azzart here, buy on Amazon if you are guaranteed a return if not happy. Be really critical in your testing - if your lines aren't coming out as you want then send it back or if it takes you longer to produce the same lines when tweaking your vectors then you're going to halve your productivity.

Drawing in illustrator will be very different from doing those same lines in Photoshop - adjusting your vector lines will be the really big thing to test. If you find yourself questioning why hitting CPs and handles takes 3-4 attempts on a $2000+ screen and stylus compared to first time every time with a $20 mouse then you're just buying a fancy screen which doesn't have the same quality viewing as a $1500 5K pro colour monitor.

Then when you get to the end of your trial period: think about an A3 drawing with 400+ lines and thousands of control points - when you think of adjusting your lines and CPs - will the thought of using a stylus to hit them accurately make your heart sink or when you pick up a mouse do you just get on with adjusting the drawing?

3. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

I think touch is good for navigation but I would not have spent the extra cash just for that. Remember its a big tablet and if using as your primary you are in Windows all the time, and if you pull the thing close you may not want to reach for the pen to click a folder or menu. That said, if you want to know more about the remote, look at the video I did for using it with photoshop. Its a great device but zooming and especially rotating can be touchy (although I swear they tuned it for the 24" because it feels better) All in all Its the entire experience. I agree with the other posters, the best thing to do is try it out but you are jumping in pretty deep. I think you jumping from a mouse to any tablet is probably an improvement but like others mentioned, there is a learning curve. The angle of the tablet, the cursor offset.

For example, on my channel I do reviews. One person reached out to me complaining of parallax on the Cintiq 24. He took videos for me and sure enough, there was some parallax. When I got mine though, there was barely any cursor offset and I've been using tablets so long now that I couldn't notice because the pen was right on top of the cursor. You just never know unless your personal taste.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Good grief! The price difference between the regular Cintiq Pro 24 and the one with Touch is between $700 and $1000 depending where you look.

(Canadian Funds.)

That's bananas!

I'm half way through lettering a page on my Dell, and it's making me crazy. I blame Wacom for providing an inadequate driver which causes fishhooking when you draw at just a little faster than regular speed.

That kind of Yakuza style business practice makes me want to replace my Dell with a sheet of paper just so Wacom doesn't get rewarded for their sneaky ********.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One problem you might encounter with a 21ux.....it doesn’t seem to work too well with modern graphic cards. I updated to a GTX 1080 last year....and ever since my Blacks are all messed up with random green dots. I’ve had this same problem before with other older graphics cards.....but usually enough tinkering and driver re-installs can eventually fix it. I had a 3GB 1060 that worked perfectly...but not so with my 1080.....I’ve never been able to resolve the problem. It’s only with blacks and....technically a minor annoyance, but enough so I’ll grab one of my tablet PCs instead.

6. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

Since this post is still going, I finished the review on my channel. I go into touch in pretty great detail if interested. Just google my username. They dont like it when I post links here.

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I think that time it was seen like a sort of spam/advertisement from a new user.
    You've been part of the community for quite some time now, I can hardly see you posting a review in a discussion a bad thing. Or I should be banned for all the video I posted over time! :D