Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 Review

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Happehlemons, Mar 29, 2017.

1. harrodeleted

harrodeleted Pen Pal - Newbie

Really interesting- I'm surprised at how wobbly things seem to be? I should do a video of the dtk-1651 to show how it compares-

2. Jimbotron

Jimbotron Pen Pal - Newbie

That's very interesting, thanks for linking it. The discussion in the comments below the video sheds more light on the different digitizers used in different tablet models.

Here's what doesn't make sense: according to Wacom's own product pages for the Cintiq Pro models, they've got very fine-grained digitizers: the specs say 5080 lpi for both the 13" and the 16" models. This should be identical to the Intuos Pro, which I tested slow lines on, and which performed fantastically. I had a Cintiq Companion 2 for a while, and I'm pretty sure had a fine-grained digitizer too--very little wobbliness.

The wobbliness in your video seems very pronounced. Either you've got a different digitizer in there than Wacom claims you do (a very crappy coarse one (the other guy's video mentions a new Active ES digitizer?), or something's wrong.

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'd opt for that, there's just too much wobbliness going on in the windows part of the video for a cintiq level digitizer.
    I would say crappy drivers from wacom as usual.

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Same test on the cintiq companion with clip studio, no stabilisation.
    I didn't have a ruler at hand so I used a book and since I was filming with my left hand I had to hold the book with my drawing hand (it goes down at the end of the line)

That wobble you get is either the plastic ruler adding some interference or wacom messing things up.
    I also have to add that before updating some very old drivers recently I didn't have palm rejection problems, now I can't keep my bare hand on the screen without the canvas freely going around.

5. Happehlemons

Happehlemons Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for posting that. That's really interesting. I've got an MSP that I'll do a couple tests on and see if it does that too. I always thought the everything had really bad wobble but things look way straighter on yours then mine.

6. Happehlemons

Dang you were right! here are some lines from my cintiq 16
    [​IMG]
    Now using the same speed and exact same settings, here are some lines from my MSP16
    [​IMG]

7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yikes! :eek: Which app/driver/OS version was this in?

For comparison, here is a ruler test a while back, in MS paint (zero stabilization) on my 22HD:
    [​IMG]

That was done using plastic ruler at default Paint settings of 100% zoom, 1152x648 canvas, size 2 black default brush.

The CP16 should definitely be able to do better if Wacom's digitizer (increased LPI) improvements are to be believed.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. Jimbotron

Jimbotron Pen Pal - Newbie

Intuos Pro slow-line ruler test, for good measure:
    digitizer-test_intuos-pro.jpg

9. Happehlemons

They were done in windows 10 in photoshop. Honestly, I think I'm just going to return it and once they get the drivers fixed I'll pick it up again.

10. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the sleep mode issue is on the driver level with some wacom devices. I had severe issues with sleep mode that cropped up a year or so ago using my companion hybrid, which was one of the reasons I replaced it with a Monoprice display.