Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 Review

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Happehlemons, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Happehlemons

Happehlemons Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't see a thread about this item, and it seemed like no one has given their impressions on this device so I wanted to put together something quick to kickstart a discussion or something.

I was able to get my hands on one so I did a review. If you have any questions about it just let me know and I'll do my best to respond. Love to hear from other people who also own the device.

stoneseeker, ATIVQ, WillAdams and 3 others like this.
  2. harrodeleted

harrodeleted Pen Pal - Newbie

Just watched the video, thank you!

Would it be possible to do some drawing tests while filming the screen? As in, actual filming it, not screen capturing? I'd love to see slow and fast strokes, as well as quick hatching-

But really useful overview, thanks again!

3. Happehlemons

Sure, if I get a second I'll post a video here tonight of a few tests in photoshop. Just need to get bootcamp on my MacBook pro first so I can really start testing the device.

harrodeleted likes this.
  4. Happehlemons

Not able to do it yet, but I made a video showing how to get the device into 4K @ 60hz with the Wacom Link. There's a lot of people saying you can't (Including Wacom).

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Komatsu

Komatsu Pen Pal - Newbie

Seeing it run at 4k 60 hz makes me want the device even more. Have a few things to sell then maybe with a little luck with the stock I can grab one.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Thanks for the review and sharing! I was checking out this forum and getting kinda scared off from purchasing (Ive been waiting for it to become available in Canada) : https://www.reddit.com/r/wacom/comments/6222fp/anyone_get_their_cintiq_pro_16_first_impressions/

Do you have any of those other issues? Do you ever have to turn off and then turn on your screen after coming out of sleep to get it to kick into 4K again?

Other complaints were the horizontal lines when pushing down with the pen towards the bottom of the screen.... have you encountered that?

Wacom still says "out of stock" on their website. Seems like the cintiq Pro 16 has been a real botch for them so far with not enough stock and major issues on release.

*EDIT* for clarity of questions.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  7. Happehlemons

I have had a bunch of issues with sleep mode. The Cintiq works reliably on boot, apart from that sometimes I have had issues. I'm not sure what you mean with the horizontal lines thing.

Here it is. I didn't really have a ton of time but I did do some quick test:

harrodeleted and thatcomicsguy like this.
  8. Jimbotron

Jimbotron Pen Pal - Newbie

^ You shouldn't be getting those wobblies. They're a known Wacom bug, and there are various fixes for it around. I've never had the problem so I can't recommend anything specific, unfortunately, but Google around for solutions.

9. Happehlemons

I'm not sure what you mean

Slow lines will produce at least a small amount wobble when drawing diagonally on any drawing device. Here's a video that explains why:

The jitter on MacOS isn't normal, and I agree with that (If that's what you're talking about), but there's no way to fix it unless you use a 3rd party smoothing tool.

harrodeleted likes this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

My Cintiq Companion didn't have any.
    The cintiq 27 on the contrary...