Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Aljook

Aljook Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my CCH today. It was stated as "Refurbished", but everything was spotless and packaged as new. Also not even minor defects from use anywhere. Only one rubber edge on the stand has a slight misfit with the rest of the aluminium.

I thought long and hard about the CC2 and CCH too, esp since the CC2 has windows. But ultimately the battery life difference made me go for the CCH. As much as I have read on this forum about the CC2, 2,5h of working time really isn't worth the label "mobile", when in comparison I should be getting 6 (connected to pc without power cable) to 11 (android mode) hours with the hybrid. Not to mention the price difference of course (even though it's understandable as the CCH is a generation older and i got it on 500€ discount).

The expresskeys on the CCH don't work as the typical Cintiq keys as much as I have heard, with the exception of the rocker ring, which should offer SOME functionality.

I don't know a whole lot yet, as I am at work right now and just went to pick mine up from UPS and had to come back to work sadly :). The bugger won't let me in on the full android before setting it up with my laptop also.

Extremely delighted as of yet, still. I will probably report more when I have been able to spend some more time with it and try to answer any questions you might still have.

Cheers! :)

2. Yoyobuae

Yoyobuae Pen Pal - Newbie

The express keys are mapped to typical hardware keys present on Android phones/tablets. Something like:
    Code:
             Home
             Menu

Vol+
    Bright- Center Bright+
             Vol-

Search
             Back

Out of those I think only Vol+, Vol-, Menu, Search, Back are usable as shortcuts inside an app. The app needs to be able to set keyboard shortcuts to the above hardware keys. Cloverpaint can do it and I think Corel painter as well.

Radium likes this.
  3. icecoldart

icecoldart Pen Pal - Newbie

I just wanted to share an app that I recently tried on my iPad and it is also available on android it's called medibang paint and is being developed by a japanese programmer, it has good functionality and is totally free!

This should be an awesome combination with cch

http://medibangpaint.com/en/android/

4. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

I just wanted to point out that it also runs on Mac and Windows. I can't remember seeing a drawing app run on all 4 before (Mac, iOS, Windows, Android).

5. rirawin

rirawin Scribbler - Standard Member

Have a few questions:

1.When in Android, can you access and save and open files from the usb drive?.

2.When connected to the PC and in cintiq mode, can you then access the usb drive and micro sd card as well?.

3.Despite the OS being old, anyone have any issues with app comptability?. I have a Note 10.1 2014 and I'm on the fence selling it to get a hybrid.

4. 16gb vs 32 gb, since I buying used can I ask how much of a difference in battery life.

thanks

6. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1: If you mean using the built-in USB port to work with files on a USB drive, yes, you can do that. It's no different from a full-fledged PC in that regard, and Wacom even saw fit to preload ASTRO File Manager to make it easier, though I use Solid Explorer instead.

2: Yes to both, though the internal storage and microSD may require you to unlock the Cintiq in Android before making the connection to the PC per Android security measures (it doesn't expose storage through USB connections until unlocked).

The USB port acts like it's part of a USB hub and all; feel free to plug, remove and replug USB drives while in Cintiq monitor mode as necessary. The PC will see it just fine.

3: I have run into a few issues with apps not being supported due to the old Jelly Bean 4.2.1 build that Wacom never updated from, but the critical things like Clover Paint, RoughAnimator, OneNote, Xodo Docs, Chrome and so forth still work just fine.

However, I do not expect this to be the case for much longer. I've already seen what happened with Mac OS X and rapid obsolescence of old OS versions due to API updates and dependencies in newer versions coupled with a disregard for backwards compatibility, and I fear that if nobody manages to update the OS on these things (which isn't made any easier by Wacom outsourcing the Android development and integration and NOT having their fork of the Tegra 4 kernel source), the Cintiq Companion Hybrid will be doomed to obsolescence sooner than such perfectly functional hardware deserves.

4: It's difficult to say, since I only have a 32 GB version, but what I can say is that the battery runtimes are remarkably lengthy, as expected of the huge battery.

However, what's also lengthy is the charge time required to top it off due to predating the big push for fast charging. Expect to take around 3 to 5 hours just to reach 100% charge, though part of that could be the fact that I have it charging while in Cintiq mode, screen and digitizer guzzling power all the whole.

7. rirawin

rirawin Scribbler - Standard Member

Does the Cintiq Hybrid have a different coating to the screen?. Thinking of buying one but I remember reading on the wacom forums before they died that the screen didn't have the grit coating the like the windows version/

8. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I can tell you that mine has some kind of textured anti-glare matte screen protector applied from the factory. I may consider replacing it when it gets worn out, but word is that you have to be careful with removing it or risk cracking the glass underneath, going by some videos of someone replacing his Cintiq Companion 2 stock screen protector.

And before you ask, no, you shouldn't use a CC2 protector on a CC1 or Hybrid because the webcam's been moved between models.

In other CCH news, I just realized that Wacom made a pretty stupid choice in making the Hybrid identify itself as a digital television over HDMI, which causes most graphics adapters to limit their RGB output to the 16-235 range. This is why everything looked washed-out for months while I was scratching my head as to why the Cintiq looked more awful than it should have! I mean, washed-out blacks? Really?

You have to set it to full-range 0-255 output, and then it looks better, MUCH BETTER. This isn't something I have to worry about on proper computer monitors, and seeing as the Cintiq is a very specialized computer monitor, I'd expect it to identify itself as such.

9. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

If anyone is reading this, The CCH express keys work great with Clover Paint. The app will let you assign them to in-app functions, also different stylus states such as touching the screen vs hover. I love it!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  10. Komatsu

Komatsu Pen Pal - Newbie

just wanted to add because I just figured this out yesterday but you can change what the center of the rocker ring does in the wacom desk app. Not the driver app but the one that is accessed through android. I have the 32 gb version and battery life is great. It even holds a charge when completely powered down for months. That is a big difference compared to my ipad pro that will die after a couple of weeks while off. Since it uses tegra gpu you can download some nice looking games too hehe.

artistebot likes this.