Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Celstra

Celstra Pen Pal - Newbie

I just ordered a 16 gig CCH and just found out that the battery's are different between the 16gig and the 32gig (48 Whr or 72.8Whr battery). I contacted Wacom to cancel my order but was told I can't cancel the only thing I can do is reject package and in about 30day I would receive a refund and be able to place an order for the 32 gig. My question, does anyone have a 16 gig that can comment on battery life. Curious if it's worth the return and wait to have a bigger battery. Thanks for your time!

Art_N00b likes this.
  2. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I think it really depends on how much battery you need. I would think you might expect 6-7 hours of battery life out of the 16gb vs. the 10-11 I've been getting out of the 32gb.

Honestly, it's 16gb extra storage and an extra 4 hours battery life for $100. No brainer to go with the 32gb imho.

3. Celstra

Celstra Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for quick reply cmenice,

When the CCH is being used in Cintiq mode with your computer I heard that it runs off the battery. My question is can you charge the CCH while using it in this mode? Or is the cable that charges being used as the display cord thus making charging impossible during use?

4. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

It's actually not recommended that you use it on battery while plugged into a desktop/laptop, but it does in fact run off battery (it doesn't seem to last as long as when in Mobile Mode). Apparently when plugged in, Android is still running in the background. So, the preference is that it uses wall power (and charges) when used as a Cintiq and when not plugged in you use it on battery.

5. porkbus

porkbus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello.

I bought the CCH about 2 months ago and absolutely love it. it is a big large but in cintiq mode i often wish it was larger. no real complaints tho. i've been using sketchbook pro in android mode and i have some questions about shortcuts, tools, etc. hopefully someone has the answer.

while drawing in sketchbook pro, i often get accidental canvas zooms from my palm on the surface. this gets quite frustrating. i've set to pen mode so that i don't get random markings which helps a lot. but the accidental zooms are annoying. also, i have no idea what triggers it, but i also often get the brush color changing somehow. cannot figure out why or what does it. i'll be using black and then somehow it will switch to white (not the eraser). this happens often as well.

some minor things that i am able to work around but i wish i knew a way to avoid them. i'm usually pretty savvy at finding and tweaking settings to my liking, but sketchbook pro seems to be somewhat limited in it's settings options. anyone have any advice or thoughts?

i do want to add that while sketchbook pro is great and has nice sensitivity, it is no replacement for photoshop. ps is much more sensitive when it comes to pressure and of course the tilt ability is key as well. similar to another user, for me sketchbook is great to rough out ideas, and lay down some quick and dirty sketches anywhere on the go. then if i want a refined image, bring it into ps for more detailed work.

6. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

I accidentally posted in the other wacom cintiq thread but I meant to post here. If someone could delete that that would be great.

This device can be used as an external monitor correct? So when you plug it into your windows laptop or windows tablet, does onenote inking work on the wacom cintiq companion?

Can you use the device flat on a desk?

Isn't it going to rock on a desk since the bottom isn't flat?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  7. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you use touch gestures when plugged in as a monitor? like pinch to zoom, pan etc?

8. Aljook

Aljook Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all. Complete starter here. I know that the Compaion 2 have been out now for a while. So I wanted to ask for a bit of advice. I just ordered the CCH for 700€ from wacom e-store, and what I am thinking is, is it worth it price (700€ refurbished, and a year old by now then)? Before making this order I was going to opt for the Companion 2 i5 version, which is 1000€ more. Mind you, although I like to draw, and my SO does graphic design, I myself am still only learning to draw, and not really earning anything on that subject.

Long story short - I have read about the numerous advantages and features the CC2 has so I guess I'm looking for a bit of reassuring on making the rational (cheaper) choice :p

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is actually quite difficult to determine, as we don't know if the fan/battery life issues are resolvable via firmware/driver updates; perhaps only the Broadwell version will feature any fixes/improvements.

But the price you paid for the CCH is pretty good under warranty. If you're just learning digital painting, the Hybrid is very flexible tool as you can try desktop apps like Photoshop/Painter/ClipStudio) as a Cintiq and mobile apps like (Clover/InfinitePainter/Artflow) as an Android tablet. Worst case, you can sell it for at least 500€ if you want to upgrade.

I recommend you give both platforms a whirl as you learn the ropes, as I find if you get used to one interface initially, you end up not trying others. Cheers! :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  10. Radium

Radium Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, and sorry that i dont have a cintiq companion yet so i cannot answer your question. I am thinking about purchasing the CC2 but sometimes the CCH gets my attention too. What keeps me away is that they never had any updates and it will actually be discontinued. Because of this, it wont take too long untill the latest applications wont be compatibile anymore. The cintiq mode is great, but in android mode i heard there are some other limitations too. For example is it true that the programmable shortcut keys on CCH dont work in sketchbook pro for android?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015