Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Here's a thread for discussion of the new Wacom Cintiq Companion hybrid!

2. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

Please share any photos/videos when you receive your Companions. Any thoughts from owners would be appreciated.

I'm looking forward to any comparisons to other tablet PCs and any views of how well it performs with different software.

3. MooseHat

MooseHat Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got mine today and I've been trying to figure out what Android apps support pressure. So far I've had no luck on the free version of SketchBook (SketchBook Express for Tablets). Anyone else figure this out? My first impression of the Wacom apps are that they're a little clunky, have hard-to-use menus, and the line quality isn't great.

4. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

Shogmaster mentioned some apps in his video about the Hybrid. I know Sketchbook Pro supports pressure on Android.

5. plebianJay

plebianJay animation monkey

Some Android pressure sensitive art apps: Sketchbook Pro, Layer Paint, Clover Paint, TVpaint beta.
    A friend at work bought the Hybrid, and Sketchbook Pro works very well. It's much more responsive than the Note 10.1. The pen tracking is very accurate and has a great pressure response.
    It's *big* and doesn't have that 'grab and take anywhere' size of the note or surface pro.

6. raphroberts

raphroberts Pen Pal - Newbie

Apparently artflow studio works well with pressure ArtFlow Studio - Sketch, Paint, Draw app for Android tablets.

7. MooseHat

MooseHat Pen Pal - Newbie

ArtFlow kept crashing my tablet, but so far SketchBook Pro for Tablets is working great! I do miss tilt sensitivity, but it seems to do everything else.

8. raphroberts

Hello!

Wondering if any hybrid owners out there could give me a rundown on how the express keys map to different android applications (such as creative canvas and sketchbook pro)

In particular, wondering whether brush size/opacity etc is changeable via the express keys in any of the apps?

I would also love to see some images demonstrating the android-based pressure sensitivity with lines on both size-based and opacity-based brushes if anyone has time to upload any. Keen to see how smoothly android apps handle changes in pressure or whether the lines are "jumpy". Hope that makes sense! Thanks everyone.

9. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm working on some video, but can answer you questions.

Currently the only express key that is customizable is the center button, but it has limited options. The other keys have generic key mappings for things like back and menu while the ring rocker controls volume and brightness.

It might be possible for developers to change the functionality in app, but there doesn't seem to be an api yet.

Using Sketchbook Pro the drawing transitions are smooth. Smoother than the Galaxy Note digitizers. When you tweak brush settings you can get smooth transitions for both size and opacity.

I think it's possible to do full illustrations on the device, but I don't think I would. So far my favorite use is sketching and then cleaning up the lines. Bring to the desktop for inking and painting.

10. raphroberts

Thank you a video would be greatly appreciated I am sure by many people! I look forward to seeing it. Apparently the painting app called "clover paint" allows you to set up custom key maps for hardware keys (thus allowing you to set the express keys to brush size/opacity) - unfortunately the app seems to be hard to learn and the interface is not very nice at all.