Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep, that's where to comment.

2. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Then I will try again later. Maybe there is a delay so that they can edit out what they don't want posted on their wall. I will type this into some text editor first so I can copy/paste into the page rather than having to type it again.

3. michaelws

I just tried it again...and this time I saw underneath it said, "you have posted to Wacom America's timeline. View post here in post to page. I clicked on the link but it did not take me to my post. Frustrating. Anyhow I am going to post my letter to Wacom Facebook here:

First let me preface this with "I love my Cintiq Companion 256." I have a minor complaint to post to this wall but it is not about the products or the personnel of Wacom...it is about a policy I hope they will consider changing. If I don't make it known then Wacom will assume I am okay with it and that is not fair to Wacom or me, and others I know that share my sentiment on this.

I bought my Companion at the tail end of December, despite reading about others who posted their "charging" problems with their Companions on the tablet pc forum. I have owned a number of other products from Wacom, a few Intuos tablets and a Cintiq 21UX. I never had a problem with any of them and they were all wonderful tools. My luck ran out this last week with the Companion as it no longer consistently charged the tablet even though the battery icon showed it as "plugged in, not charging."

At first it would only show this symptom when it was close to fully charged. 99% or close thereabouts. So I didn't think much about that. But a few days ago I noticed that even though it was plugged in while turned off and the light on the side was lit, indicating a connection, it only showed about a 48% charged level and was not charging. It had been plugged in for a few hours. That was usually well enough to fully charge the unit in the past.

I tried turning the tablet off and then on and re-starting it...fiddling with the connector at the tablet input and at the block...but nothing. Only occasionally would it charge. It was bad enough that I was anxious that each time I used it might be the last so I constantly saved everything to an external drive.

I called tech support and they were polite and accommodating and sent me the authorization to return the unit. It was then that I found out that I was liable for the initial shipping/insurance cost and that it was not a refundable cost if Wacom found the problem to be in the machine and no fault of mine in handling or use. I was not pleased with this policy. It cost me $76.00 to ship it back insured.

I handled the Companion with kid gloves. I am 66 years old and have enough experience under my belt to know the value of taking care of the tablet to ensure as long a life for it as possible. It is truly a dream machine for mobile digital painting for me. When it wasn't on my lap or on a table it was inside it's felt sleeve which is always inside a padded backpack purchased solely for the Companion.

My experience with Amazon products and computers I have had insured by Square Trade is that, once approved for return, I was supplied with a pre-paid label and, in the case of Square Trade, a box. So maybe I am spoiled by this but I do feel that if a product is found defective while still fairly new and under initial warranty there should be no expense burden put upon the customer. This cost should be built into the pricing/risk assessment of the product.

So that is my complaint. I am posting it so that it gets recorded by Wacom with the hope that if enough express a similar sentiment then at some point Wacom might consider a policy change. It is enough of a revenue loss just to be without this tablet for the time it takes to receive, fix and or replace the unit and send it back. Thanks for tolerating this long post.

I

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    steven, darkmagistric and stoneseeker like this.
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

well written and polite complaint!

5. Yuureikun

I'm still not seeing that post on Wacom's page. I went there in hopes to find it and add my support to it and it'd not there.

6. Nellyaa

Nellyaa Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah well, I had hoped the snapping was a sign of a "repair". I guess that was just me hoping.

Now I wonder if you can tell from the text on the backside of it which kind of batch it is from.
    I have two stickers on the backside of my companion with some numbers. Did you have those too on your models? (EDIT: Just so clarify, I actually have three stickers, one just is the adress of the german location of wacom)
    One says "Contains IC:<number>" the other one "Contains FCC ID:<number>".

Which kind of wacom page did you post on? There are more than just one. I'd like to give my support aswell.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  7. michaelws

As my Tablet is in shipping right now I cannot recall the stickers on the back.

I posted, or tried to, on the main Wacom Facebook page. Twice. Neither of those posts can be found. Maybe it had something to do with posting from my iPad but I doubt that. I will try again tomorrow using my neighbor's pc.

8. Yuureikun

This is the sticker, located directly under the serial number on the back of my machine, that I do not recall being on my first 2 units that I received right after the Companion was released:

[​IMG]

This might not mean anything, or maybe it was also on my old machines and I just don't recall, but I know I've had multiples of things such as the same guitar that was manufactured in different runs that would have different things printed behind the headstock depending on the production run. So it could possibly be a small indicator that this one is of a newer run, and is why I haven't had any issues yet. Or maybe I am just trying to convince myself that this one won't break on me for no reason.

9. Nellyaa

Nellyaa Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't have this sticker on my companion, so you are probably right.

Well, I hope for you it won't break and I hope mine does before the warranty is up or never...
    (Seeing the humor in all this: It will probably start acting up during summer semester break, where I won't be needing it that much - most of you experienced these problems about 4-6 months after purchase, after all.)

10. Yuureikun

Hopefully you just won't have any issues and a few of us here just had some bad luck. I have a friend who also pre ordered a 512 GB Companion and last I asked him, it was still going strong with no issues. So it seems like there are people out there who have units from the initial run that are still operating properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.