Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

Well I hope it's a speedy repair. That is what they offered to do for me after my second unit was being finicky with charging, until I complained publicly on their Facebook page, and was contacted by someone offering more useful help due to my continued issues with the Companion. I still had to pay return shipping, but was overnighted a replacement unit rather than waiting for a repair and shipping time back to me.

Best of luck to you.

2. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks Yuureikun, I hope I don't have to go to the same lengths that you had to. And I have some traditional oil paintings to do in the meantime and I have been procrastinating working with the iPad paint program called Procreate. So I can wait the six or seven extra days it will take for them to ship it to me once the repair is done. I do hope they improve on the durability of the companion in the future...and hopefully pop in another 8 gigs of ram.

I remember when Wacom shipped everything by overnight UPS. All my Intuos's came that way and my first Cintiq UX21. I like the companion a lot, especially to be able to take it in the car with me when my wife wants to go into town...and I can sit and paint on it for hours.

3. Yuureikun

Sounds like you have some stuff to occupy your time then, I had digital commission work I needed to get done when I had my troubles so it really threw a wrench in the works for me. I have Procreate on my iPad as well and have the Intuos Creative stylus, it's a really nice app.

At this point, I need a portable workstation. A few months ago I started an apprenticeship at a nearby tattoo shop, so I spend most of my time at the shop and need to have a machine to work on commissions in my down time. It also helps when drawing up tattoos. It's just such a great unit for my purposes that it kills me to feel so uneasy about its longevity.

4. michaelws

So you work on a living canvas. Neat. Yes I have no immediate demands for working digital. I do most of my sketching and color concepts using Painter X3 but 95% of my paid work is traditional easel work. I would like to do a few limited edition prints directly from Painter but I am not yet ready to do that. I have so little extra time that I don't get to experiment enough digitally. I should be grateful that my commissions are so backed up at this point.

Just gave Wacom my mailing address so should be getting the RMA and then it's aloha to my companion...for a couple of weeks.

5. Nellyaa

Nellyaa Pen Pal - Newbie

I really, really hope that this is the case - that they noticed the problem and fixed it in later batches - I bought mine in january, while most in this forum got one in october/november as far as I know - so I guess I'm kind of a "let's see if they improved this later"-situation. Until now my tablet worked fine- but I too dread the moment it will die on me far too soon to be worth the 2,000 dollar. I hope the best though..

That brings me to the question... How does it feel for you when plugging in the companion? It feels very firm to me.. it almost feels like it snaps in.. Is it the same for you? I wonder.. or hope... it's like that because they fixed mine before selling.. (well I dream of it, at least.)

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  6. michaelws

Mine too snapped in...actually had a slight click feel to it. The problem with mine was that it read that it was "plugged in" and at the same said "not charging." In the beginning this only happened at 99% or close thereabout but lately it was at any level of charge or discharge. Even after turning it off and then restarting it would still not charge. Once in a while it would charge. So it became too unnerving. I sent in back yesterday.

It cost me $76 to mail it fully insured. I was not pleased with having to shell out that with the tablet being less than six months old and extremely well cared for. I wrote them about that as politely as I could. So now I am typing this on my iPad.

I must add that at the end it still "clicked" in but, depending on where the charging cable was the connection was not steady and I could tell that because the brightness would dim. And I did not have mine set to auto. It was dimmer when unplugged.

Nellyaa likes this.
  7. Yuureikun

That was the exact story with mine. First, it didn't like to charge if I plugged it in with the battery over about 95%. After a while it just didn't like to charge randomly, I'd have to squeeze the casing around the power adapter in order to make a connection for it to charge, which would also cause my power indicator light to cut on and off. There was clearly a poor connection on the inside of my machine. It would run off of ac power with no issues, but charging was finicky. I also had to pay about $75 to ship it back, but was happy to at least have made enough noise to get free overnight shipping back to me, and have my unit replaced, not repaired.

My unit does seem to have a sticker on it that I don't recall being on the first one I had, which I assume would indicate it came from a later production. Hopefully they have fixed the issue. Personally, I don't get why more companies haven't moved to magnetic style adapters that won't get damaged if they get accidentally tugged on. These old style plugs are way too fragile for such pricey units.

8. michaelws

How do I post a message to the Wacom Facebook page? I entered a long post there in the box at the top of their page just below their first header graphic. Where it says post. But it does not show up. Am I supposed to click on the "message" button up there? I rarely use Facebook but I would like to be able to register my policy complaint where it shows. I am stuck thumb typing on my iPad and don't look forward to re-typing and again not having it show up.

Thanks for any Facebook lessons you can throw my way regarding this.

9. Yuureikun

You want to post on their wall if you want it to be publicly visible, if you click "message" it'll be a private message.

10. michaelws

So is that the little box with the pencil icon and where it says "write something?" That is where I first entered my text. But nothing showed up below when I finished and clicked the blue button that says "post."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.