Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I haven't noticed the blurry anti glare you are talking about...guess I just don't have the experience on the better quality machines you have used. I had the Cintiq 21UX and actually like the companion better. But having been an illustrator of traditional pen and ink and pencil for the first 25 years or so of my career I love being able to work the tablet on my lap wherever I go.

Sorry you are underwhelmed.. Maybe you can return the companion.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

In general, Cintiq's (whether 24HD, 22, 13HD etc) have pretty lackluster screens, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Companion Screen is dim and grainy as well. Not so noticeable unless your used to a super bright IPS from a business class convertible/slate though. Hopefully in the next version Wacom realizes this concern as a valid one considering this is the first cintiq made to go outside and out and about instead of just staying in a controlled lighting studio.

3. reactionart

reactionart Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using a wacom cintiq companion and I'm experiencing a really odd issue where "snap to vertex" lags. I narrowed it down to the graphics driver because once I uninstall the driver, the problem goes away. Tried updating it to latest drivers too and it does the same thing. I also have a another ultrabook that has an older generation chip Intel HD 3000 and Maya viewport runs just fine. If anyone has any information on this that would be great. Thanks

4. newmanm

newmanm Pen Pal - Newbie

Guys, it might be too early, but do you think a companion 2 is around the corner with a 4th generation chip?

Also, how does the companion work when using it with a keyboard and working on it to type with? is the screen angled too much to see well?Thanks.

5. michaelws

Can't say about a Companion 2 but typing on my Companion is fine though the keyboard is quite compact. The three angles for the screen work okay...I usually type with the screen in it's most upright position.

6. michaelws

That sad moment has arrived...my companion is having charging port problems and has to be sent back. I could rant and bemoan my woes but everyone here has heard them all many times so I won't waste your time. Guess I will have to paint on my iPad. Procreate is a pretty nifty little program there, but doesn't work as well for me as Painter.

So far Wacom has been sympathetic and repsonsive to this but they cannot expedite the process. And my only real beef is that I have to pay shipping to them. They will cover the return...but that is still not okay for me with a machine that is less than 6 months old and handled with kid gloves. I think that they should cover the cost once it is discovered that my claim is valid and the problem is not of my doing but something inside the machine.

This is my last message on it as the battery is now at 35% and tho plugged in is not charging. Alas. Was hoping this wasn't going to happen.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  7. whatyoumaydo

whatyoumaydo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,

Have any of you used a hardware colorimeter to calibrate your screen on a Cintiq Companion? Or any other tablet for that matter? I am chasing around an issue where my paintings in Photoshop CS6 look pretty dark when saved as JPG and displayed on other displays (ipad, 2009 macbook pro, samsung galaxy tablet and my dell l502x).

I'm using a Companion with PsCS6 and everything is basically on the default settings. I've contacted Wacom support and they said that they recommend "using the tablet in the factory default settings as this is the best display options for the tablet." I'm not sure what to do now. I don't really want to go down the color calibration rabbit hole, but I'm also very tired of having my paintings come out way too dark. Any suggestions?

Chris Bradley
    Christopher Bradley - Illustration Portfolio

8. michaelws

Wish I could offer some help. I used to calibrate my monitors/computers and laptops (but not tablets) when I was printing my own gicles on my Epson 9800. But I sold it a few years ago and was no expert at it at the time and dare not trust my memory to give any advice. I hope someone pipes in here to help you.

But your artwork on your website is excellent. I enjoyed looking at it..

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  9. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

This, unfortunately happened to me as well which I posted about a little further back in this thread. I am currently on my third Cintiq Companion unit. The first one had a screen that crapped out the day I got it, the second had the same issue as you are having, as well as the power indicator light cutting out due to a poor connection, and my third one that I am on seems okay for now. I've had this new one for a few months now and the biggest issue so far is just a few specs of dust that may have found their way under the screen (unless they are just under the screen protector I applied, but that's doubtful since there are no air bubbles under the screen protector).

Good luck with your replacement. I absolutely adore the Companion, when it is working. But so far between going through 3 units myself, and seeing quite a few others have issues, I really worry about how delicate the machine can be. Hopefully it's just the first shipment or so that had issues, and things are going more smoothly with these newly shipped units. But at this rate, I'm starting to worry the machine won't last long enough for me to get my $2,000 worth out of it and I am keeping my eyes open for other alternatives.

10. michaelws

Thanks for the reply...the trouble here is that they are not giving me a replacement but intend to fix the problem...the charging port. I too love this tablet. My fingers are crossed. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.