Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nellyaa

Nellyaa Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally got mine! :)

I know I'm kinda late to the party, but I still want to share my impression, in chronological order:

- The companion looks and feels very valuable.

- However, it's also heavy.... No fun carrying it with one hand. Better off putting it in your lap or on a desk. I was expecting this from reviews I've been reading, though.

- Took me forever to find that windows 8 serial... Could have mentioned that in the quick start guide!

- Touching in windows 8 is a joy and seems a good thing to have on the companion, if you're too lazy to get out your pen.

- pen input is very accurate on all parts of the screen, except about, I'd say 3 millimeter on the right and bottom edge. It takes two times to hit the tiny scroll bar of the layer palette for me. Since its not much, it's not a big deal for me, still wanted to mention it. However, I think all the cintiqs have it, have they?

- Power saving mode is great to surf the web and do small tasks on the companion. I didn't try it out yet, but I guess the companion would run about 7 hours in power saving mode.

- the speakers are truly nothing special, but I wouldn't say horrible as others did. They are completely sufficient to watch youtube videos, some film or listen to some music. They won't compete with a stereo... and in a loud environment the speakers most likely won't be powerfull enough to be heard clearly. If I want great music quality or drown out environment noise, I will just get me some headphones to plug in, no big deal.

- In balanced mode the companion has enough power for me to get work done in photoshop. Working on a A3 canvas with basic brushes, I'm feeling no lagg. However, for complicated and big brushes, performance mode is better, I feel some lagg otherwise. In performance mode, the companion has an estimated last of three hours, which is sufficient for me I guess.

- The resolution is a perfect compromise. I feel like I need a smaller resolution to draw accurately, however, if it was smaller, the tools would take up too much space, and if the companion was bigger, it would be too big to be conveniently mobile.
    As it is now, I need to zoom in much more than I need to on my desktop computer, where I run an intuos4 Large together with a 22" display. This feels a little cumbersome to me currently - I will need some time to adjust I guess.

- Photoshop CS6 has horrible touch support. That's not something the companion is responsible for, though.

- I'm still amazed at how well touch and pen input work together. While drawing right handed, I can still touch buttons with my left hand without interference of my palm. Really well done on this part, wacom!

- I was expecting to be faster with a cintiq-device than with a traditional graphic tablet, this is not the case. If anything, I'm currently needing more time than on my desktop to draw, which is of course partly the fault of me not having adjusted to the new device yet, but on the other hand I'm really missing a keyboard for shortcuts. The buttons on the companion are not really much of a time saver, they rather leave the feeling of "at least you tried, wacom", I mapped them to space, alt, shift and options, which works but is still slower than a keyboard.
    I'm not using the buttons on the intuos4 L either though, so.. maybe I'm just not an express key person.
    When there is no space to put the wacom keyboard, I activate the wacom on screen buttons, which is basically mapped to the tools I most frequently use in photoshop. I mostly use them with my left hand to touch them and keep drawing with the pen on the right, because I can't seem to hit the tiny lasso tool icon with my big finger on the first try, heh.

- The wacom bluetooth keyboard has the quality I expected. It's solid, good looking and feels nice to type on.

Conclusion after one week working with the companion:

I'm very happy with the device so far, it indeed feels like the perfect "companion" for me in art college. It's a keeper. :)

P.S:
    To not get off topic, I posted my first companion art on the tablet pc art thread.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/tab...images-might-not-safe-work-62.html#post370195

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Art_N00b and justicejr like this.
  2. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the review Nellyaa. I'm sure you'll get faster with it as you use it more.

Re: speakers, mine still suck. For example, I would never watch a show off Netflix or YouTube with them; I would have to put on the earphones. Maybe Wacom has improved the speakers in some way since I bought mine.

Nellyaa likes this.
  3. Art_N00b

I've been thinking more about keyboard shortcuts. What do people think about having some kind of device to the side? On another site, someone mentioned the Shuttle Pro V2 in a discussion thread about painting in Photoshop.

What are the hardware options in general for such devices? Is anyone using anything like that with the Cintiq Companion or any other drawing tablet for that matter?

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

If you read through this thread there is a bunch of really good suggestions... http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/artists/56515-best-accessory-digital-painters-yep.html

Art_N00b likes this.
  5. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't even used the ad slot yet. I need to get a card.

6. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone think the Companion will be an annual I mean we see the Surface already on its second gen. I fully expect at least a refresh this year.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I wouldn't get my hopes up.
    If they make enough money on this venture, and release a refresh, my guess would be bi-annual

8. Nellyaa

Nellyaa Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree. Most of their products get a new gen every two years. I guess the companion will be no different.

9. Art_N00b

They know that people want Haswell and I'm sure they learned a lot on this first product. While I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2 years out for the 2nd gen, I also would not be surprised if it was 1 year out either (Oct, right?). The truth is--we don't know.

10. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

Exactly, things like the stand which is not that possible are incremental changes that doesn't require them to reinvent the wheel. That's why I am gun shy. Is there a reason why the only place I can find this for msrp is Wacom? Doesnt look like you can find it everywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.