Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried multiple (MXH, MXT, MXG) Photodon screen protectors and all of them caused touch issues on my Companion Hybrid. Try using your finger to draw in something like Fresh Paint and see if it does anything funky. Sometimes my finger wouldn't get recognized and sometimes I would get double touches. I couldn't draw a solid line in any applications with just my finger. It caused issues with navigation. I had to take it off.

2. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

Question: Has anyone compared the Companion to other wacom based tablet pcs? I'm curious because the Companion is supposed to have 2048 levels of pressure, along with better technology and angle support? Does it make a big difference?

I've seen video reviews but people don't compare it to other wacom tablets except for the surface, and I don't get the impression that they get into the quality difference.

also is it a big deal that it's a 3rd generation intel processor? I usually leave my tablets plugged in, and I think the 4 is much better at power management.

3. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

Drawing in Fresh Paint with my finger works perfectly fine. Touch is completely unimpaired with my screen protector on. I can't say why you had issues, but everything is working as great as ever even with the screen protector applied.

4. Yuureikun

I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate still that I have compared to the Companion. The Slate is a nice machine, but isn't quite as nice in any regard as the Companion. The pressure level difference is very debatable, and seems to come down to personal preference. There is no visible difference between the different levels of sensitivity, if anything it would be more of a "feel" thing.

I find that, for whatever reason, the pen has to be about 1/4 of an inch closer to the Samsung Slate to be within range of the tablet than the Companion has to be. Which causes touch to be more finicky on the Slate than the Companion when using programs with touch abilities like Manga Studio. It makes it so I would have to be very deliberate about putting the pen on the screen before my palm when using the Slate, where as with the Companion I can just draw without thinking about it at all and have no issues.

Quality wise, the Slate is much more flimsy than the Companion, which feels much more sturdy and durable with its aluminum backing and rubberized plastic parts. It feels like a much higher quality machine in my hands than the Slate by far.

I hope this helps!

5. jbomb

Yeah, also do you notice the angle thing. I don't think the other tablets have this feature. My fujitsu T900 is about 4 years old and I'm thinking of my next one. I like the 13" size. I kind of like having the keyboard because I use the shortcuts a lot. Now I think my computer is 256 levels of pressure, and the newer tablets (aside from the companion) is 1024.

Looking at the chart on the boards it seems that there are less wacom based tablets and more n-trig. I like that the companion can come with 500gb drive. But for the price I'm sure the others may. Really the only other that size is the T904. If the Samsung Q comes back that may be better if it has more RAM. But I was considering the companion too.

6. Yuureikun

The pen tilt function is not something I've ever really used. It's actually something that works in conjunction with software that has brushes that use tilt sensitivity. For example, some software will have airbrush tools where, if you tilt the pen, the spray will fan out the way it would if you actually tilted an airbrush. So it is not something you will miss if you never used it in the first place, but it seems like a really cool feature to get more realistic results from certain tools.

7. jbomb

do you know what software uses the tilt angle stuff? photoshop? I've never used it either.

8. Yuureikun

I believe Photoshop has brushes that use it, and I think Manga Studio 5 does as well.

9. Yuureikun

I seem to be having a little issue now. I am getting the infamous "plugged in, not charging" message in windows under the battery icon on the task bar. Is it probable that something went wrong with my battery? I can't imagine anything is wrong with my power cable or the connector in the Companion, seeing as it is detecting that it is plugged in and is running off of AC power. This happened to me before with my Samsung Slate, but all I had to do was switch outlets to fix the issue with that, and it doesn't seem to be helping here. If anyone could shed light on any possible fixes it would be much appreciated.

Edit: False alarm. I wonder if the unit has a certain threshold that the battery has to reach before charging or something. It was at 95 and 96% when it wouldn't charge, so I let it drain down to 92% and tried again, and everything is charging normally now.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  10. turnways

turnways Pen Pal - Newbie

Yuureikun mentioned earlier they were going to add a hole to allow for the camera, so I imagine they did the right thing and took it off their site until they get the design updated. If not, I tried scouring the entire catalog and didn't see any mention of it, so no idea where it could be otherwise.

MikePHearn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.