Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

I purchased the keyboard. The best benefit is that it fits in the slipcase that came with the Companion. You cannot change the battery and it comes with an included USB to mini USB cable for charging.

It's a decent enough keyboard for the price. I was just going to grab one at a local retailer but other Bluetooth keyboards were about the se price.

Nellyaa likes this.
  2. Thundersnow

Thundersnow Pen Pal - Newbie

Have any of you with the Cintiq Companion experienced "Squiggly Lines" with photoshop? Zoomed out you draw a line and if you zoom in it's squiggly, or normal zoom but the 5th line is squiggly?

How is the fine-line drawing?

3. rurifan

rurifan Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I got the Companion this morning.

My first impression is that it's very heavy, runs quite hot, and has loud fans! On A/C power, it gets uncomfortably warm to hold, particulary around the top right. The surface of the screen ends up fairly warm too. (keep the finger limber?:))

As others have mentioned, the build quality is nice; it feel looks and feels solid. Except for the power connector, that feels like it could break off.

Sadly, on my unit there's a fleck of "dust" in the center of the screen. Must be embedded in the coating, since it won't come off with any amount of rubbing. Guess I'll be doing an exchange if I decide to keep the Companion. :(

Cursor accuracy seems good, except at the edges of the screen it's actually quite terrible. I have trouble hitting the menus on Photoshop tool windows, File menu, and the standard window close X. I've heard that accuracy of Cintiqs diminishes at the edges, but how do people put up with this?

Other than installing Windows 8.1 and the latest drivers, I haven't done much with software yet. Note you have to install the available Windows updates, then you can find Windows 8.1 in the Store.

I briefly played with Photoshop CC and was very disappointed with touch support. I've heard Adobe is behind in this area, but it really spoiled the experience for me. I got pinch-zoom working (not smooth-zoom though), but touch-based panning is awful. It kinda works, but then goes crazy and moves the canvas all over the place. Palm rejection is also a bit iffy; you have to be sure the tip is always within range. I turned off touch and was much more comfortable.

Trying to work without a keyboard seems impractical. Even mapping the buttons, there's just not enough of them after the essentials. I don't know why they decided to downgrade from the Intuos4's buttons and wheel.

I got the Wacom keyboard, which is what you'd expect. It has no pgup/pgdn/home/delete keys which is annoying for me (I plan to remap some useless keys to them).

Anyway, I haven't given it a fair chance yet, but my snap opinion is that a Cintiq 13HD would be better in a lot of ways.

PS, that power button really is retarded. The very first time I unplugged the A/C, I accidently hit the button and turned it off...

4. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

There may be something wrong with your fan I am thinking. I wouldn't consider the fan in my unit to be loud at all, and it runs extremely cool. Unless our definitions of "loud" and "hot" differ, but I honestly haven't noticed the slightest bit of heat from mine even after using it for hours straight.

5. justicejr

All your issues are valid. Fan blows almost constantly and it does get warm. Though I wouldn't say unbearable so. Minor annoyances when compared to its utility.

Power button is the worst of the problems with the Companion. I haven't disabled it yet but am going to have to. I turned off the tablet last night accidentally again. Very frustrating.

There are a few notable design flaws but it still remains a brilliant device when compared to the field of Tablet PCs.

The desktop versions are much better though if you were considering going with one, I'd recommend a larger one. Overall drawing experience is superior.

6. Jcase

Jcase Pen Pal - Newbie

7. justicejr

Jonathan, I think you hit all the right points about the pros and cons of the Companion.

I still don't think the plug-in capability would be worth an increased expense and would not be used enough to warrant the effort to include it. I am in the minority on this one point.

Your reviews of the Surface pro and your work with DC were the only reason I began to research a portable solution. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Loved the work you've done on Batman '66.

Keep up the great work.

8. Yuureikun

I agree, I love your posts on the Surface Pro and really happy to see you have checked out (and enjoy) the Companion. Thanks so much for another great review.

As far as my solution to the ULV processor and inability to hook it up as a Cintiq to a host computer, I am just going to do everything I can to not sell my old 21ux and hold on to it as a back up unit with my desktop.

9. rurifan

rurifan Pen Pal - Newbie

What really surprises me is how the fan revs up to an overdrive speed at the slightest provocation. It will be fairly quiet at idle, then I draw a circle in Photoshop with a 200px fuzzy brush. Half way through the fan is blasting. Or, just now, I used Disk Cleanup to get rid of the Previous Windows Install. The fan was blasting so loud it was drowning out music from a stereo! It even had perfect ventilation against a smooth surface this time.

It's so absurd that I wonder if Yuureikun is right and it's a hardware problem. Poorly applied thermal paste perhaps?

10. Yuureikun

Mine has never gotten loud enough to drown out a stereo. I can definitely hear it power up and get moving, but nothing that ever strikes me as odd or distracting. But then again I play guitar in a metal band so maybe I'm not too sensitive to that kind of stuff, haha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.