Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

afaik the price for screen-scratches repairs on the old cintiq 21ux was something around 340€, which today translates to 469$. The reason for the high price simply being that the whole glass front with the AG-coating was to be replaced, not jut the AG-coating.
    Most scratch-problem-discussions stem from experiences with early 21UX-models. The DTZ-version which had the AG-coating on top of the glass, towards the user, and a only briefly available followup version with a plexi-glass-front on which of course the scratches had nothing to do with the AG-coating but with the soft screen material itself.
    On all following models as well as the revised 21UX DTK-models the coating was applied on the inside of the solid glass front. And that's the way it has been since for all cintiq models - afaik. There should be no need to use a third party screen protector.
    However i've only briefly worked with other models than my first generation 21ux on conventions, artists gatherings and such and didn't take a particularily close look. In a few days i should get my 24hd touch so that i could investigate possible scratch issues at least on that device.

As for the companion... i can't give you any advice. But a friend of mine had his companion "investigated" by his cat right after unpacking, even thrown down the desk, and happily reported no scratches. ;)

2. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

They will probably replace the entire device, refurb and then resell it later. So the price could be much lower. (Hopefully).

This and battery replacement is going to be the big make or break issue for Wacom and the Companion in the coming months/years.

3. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

My plan after I get scratches(if I do) is to just call Wacom and talk to them. They have good customer support. If the cost is too much to replace the film, I'll remove it myself. Then I'll clean the bare screen and put a Photodon screen protector on it. Then just replace the SP as needed.

4. valiant

valiant Pen Pal - Newbie

After check the surface pro 2 and Companion; I decided to buy the companion, the screen size was the main factor (plus I love Wacom pens and expresskeys); I cannot wait till I have it (next Tuesday per UPS); thanks a lot for share your experiences and feedbacks, they were really helpful :D

5. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

I was talking to wacom support about a separate issue with a Cintiq 22 touch, and I asked them about the film on the companion. They said it's a film that's permanently fused to the glass and the whole glass would have to be replaced--no way to remove the film. It's a harder film than they've used in the past and should be less prone to scratches. They don't know what the glass replacement will cost and usually don't get that info until about 6 months after a new product comes out. just

steven likes this.
  6. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

Them not knowing what a repair cost is going to be after launch launch sounds kinda fishy. Corporate knows what the price is, they just haven't distributed it to the operators.e

7. gmoneyphx

gmoneyphx Pen Pal - Newbie

Returned a surface pro 2 today. Nice machine and it ran manga studio 5 very well. Screen is quite small though. Due to the aspect ratio the screen is shorter (in the 1080 direction) than an ipad. So unless you REALLY value portability I can't recommend it. Also even though it's only 2lbs the smaller size makes it feel dense and heavy.

Ordered a 256gb companion to replace it.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  8. gmoneyphx

gmoneyphx Pen Pal - Newbie

Also surface pro 2 actual run time seemed to be between 5 and 6 hours in mixed drawing/web use. Even though it has haswell it also has only a 42wh battery vs the 62wh in companion.

9. pogues

pogues Pen Pal - Newbie

Well got my Companion today and plugged it in to charge and while I installed all my drawing apps. Once it was done I checked the battery and saw it at 98% so I unplugged it and it immediately powered off. Now it says it doesn't detect a battery and is not charging. Guess I'll play around with it this weekend and then contact customer support and hopefully get them to cross ship me a replacement.

10. Nellyaa

Nellyaa Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone purchased the wacom keyboard to the companion yet? I'm wondering how they justify the 50€ for it. What are the advantages over other bluetooth keyboards? Build quality? Also on the wacom store site it says it's battery powered. How do you charge it? By plugging it into a computer via USB?
    I never used bluetooth keyboards before so bear with me. I'm trying to figure out if I should buy the wacom keyboard or get a cheaper one elsewhere for my soon-to-have-companion.

Please keep us updated! I'm curious what wacom has to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.