Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

Okay, I'll do my best then. Unfortunately my house has crappy overhead lighting, but maybe I'll be able to get a decent example in my kitchen. Or I could even just take them both to lunch somewhere and sit next to a window and get some shots.

2. pogues

pogues Pen Pal - Newbie

That looks awesome. I will have to check this app out. Thanks for the tip.

Has anyone installed 8.1 to their Companion yet? Are you having any issues? I have heard a few reports the update causes the CC to crash/freeze.

3. Yuureikun

Well, I just colored a whole piece using the iPad as a second screen and everything worked perfectly. No crashes or bugs, it actually worked exactly as I wanted it to. Picking colors can be a tad difficult at times, but if you are like me, you end up editing colors later on anyway so it isn't a huge deal. Plus, you can always lay down a little swatch of a color after picking it to make sure it is what you want. All in all, it is an excellent way to get the tools off of the companion's screen, and on to a separate touch enabled screen so that you can use the Companion's display entirely for the canvas you are working on. And the best part is it is still pretty portable. I have a nice messenger style bag I picked up for the Companion, and there is more than enough room to be able to pack an iPad as well. So it would be a great way to have a portable dual monitor setup. Which is great for me, since I have worked with a dual monitor Cintiq set up for years. So this just makes the adjustment that much easier.

4. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you have to have a wifi connection for the display app to work?
    I set three finger tap to tab and that works great to hide the palettes. I do use my iPad to put my script or other reference on, but I haven't needed to use it as a display for that.

5. Yuureikun

They do need to be connected to the same wifi network. Though I saw a tutorial from someone using a similar app that you can make a network from your computer and have the iPad connect to that as well.

Tab works just fine too, this just allows me to skip hiding my tools at all and pick them with my non drawing hand. It also allows me to move the image I am working on over to the iPad to see how the colors look on another monitor as well, which is always pretty cool. I have used a dual monitor setup for such a long time that using a single monitor can sometimes feel a little small for me. This allows me the versatility of using the Companion by itself, or using it in conjunction with an iPad as a second monitor, or just pulling up a picture right in iOS if I am just using it as a reference monitor. It offers a lot of options.

Edit: Wow, I didn't even notice all the multi touch gestures you can configure in the Wacom properties. It is crazy how versatile and customizable this device is.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  6. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

Picked up the Wacom Bluetooth keyboard for the Companion.

Well made and best of all, it fits perfectly in the case. It also has a built in rechargeable battery that connects/charges via USB.

Yuureikun likes this.
  7. rurifan

rurifan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the info! I am really worried about scratches so I have been tempted to try some protectors...

Are you sure there's really a protector on it from the factory? I wonder if it's something wacom could replace at reasonable cost.

8. Yuureikun

There is a screen protector adhered on to all Cintiqs. My old (first generation) Cintiq 21ux had one as well, but I think they may have changed the type of protector they use now, as this one seems much more durable. I fairly recently had to rip off the screen coating of my old 21ux due to some severe scratching on it that was driving me nuts, after removing all the adhesive underneath it yields a perfectly scratch free (and seemingly scratch proof) glassy surface. I seem to recall (but don't quote me on this) that Wacom offered some users to replace the screen cover on the old 21ux for something like a $500 fee. So people who didn't want to spend the money, such as myself, either dealt with the scratches or removed the coating entirely. I imagine replacing the coating on a smaller unit would cost less.

Again, the coating on the Companion so far is still pristine, and I have a pretty heavy hand when I draw. And I have also heard on numerous occasions that they have since improved their screen coating to be much more durable than it used to be on the first generation Cintiq 21ux models like mine and that the scratching problem was isolated to the old Cintiq units. So I get the feeling these will hold up much better than my old Cintiq did. Something tells me that adding a screen protector won't do any harm though. They are usually static cling type deals that just sit on top of the screen without any adhesive, so I don't see how that could mess up the coating that Wacom puts on.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  9. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

If I had any concerns at this moment about the companion I would say its the battery and the screen being damaged.

I'm not keen on using a screen protector since Wacom recommends against it, but a good scratch would ruin my day.

10. rurifan

rurifan Pen Pal - Newbie

That price is kinda horrifying...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.