Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

I do a mix of stuff, but Adobe Illustrator has always been my bread and butter program. Just working on some stuff this week and realizing how many shortcut keys I use in my normal workflow for Design stuff. Ha.

Love drawing with Sketchbook Pro though. Doing mockups and using that mirror drawing mode is great. Love the interface also.

ForzaqC likes this.
  2. pogues

pogues Pen Pal - Newbie

Mischief works on the Companion well? I have been really wanting to check this software out and the idea of being usable on the Companion is great news.

3. justicejr

Mischief works extremely well. Very lightweight and fluid. Free 15 day trial on their site.

Downloading Windows 8.1. I hope it's not too soon to install it. Couldn't resist.

4. justicejr

Ok. Looks like Windows 8.1 messes with the Wacom driver on the Companion. Sketchbook Pro seems unaffected but other applications are not responding well. Mischief and Adobe apps are doing weird stuff when I touch the screen.

Not even sure how to roll it back. :(

Edit: I reinstalled the Latest Wacom Driver and rebooted and all the issues seem to be fixed. Whew!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    pogues likes this.
  5. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I am already really close to saying this thing is a keeper. I just about wrapped up a piece for Halloween and using Manga studio along with all the touch features on the Companion has just been the best drawing experience I have ever had with any digital device. Being able to move the canvas, pinch to zoom, and rotate all with my fingers while drawing is just incredible. The Companion handles these features so much better than my Samsung S7, which seems to be much more finicky when I rest my palm on it. The smooth touch features, along with the 13.3 inch screen is just perfect for me. I am thoroughly enjoying this so far. Now that Wacom fixed the driver so that cursor accuracy is normal in Wintab programs, I have not seen any issues or glitches. Everything has been smooth as butter and works incredibly well.

6. pogues

pogues Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences with the Companion. I just put in an order for one and hopefully will have it by middle of next week.

7. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone know a retail store that sells companion/hybrid rather than an online retailer?

8. valiant

valiant Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I am new in this forum but i was reading you since some days ago because I am wondering which tablet should I buy, this Wacom Companion or a Surface pro 2; maybe you can help me to decide 

I am looking for a laptop replacement but with pen input, I already have a Cintiq 24 with a workstation and I was using a MBP (2008) as laptop till last year when I bought a galaxy note 10.1; at the end I decided that android is not for me.

I want a tablet with pen input to use manga studio, sketchbook pro and some lightroom use (I also use PSD but that work will be done mainly in the workstation); but I also want something I can use to surf internet(read blogs), check emails, … that why I think the surface pro is better option, but the size of the screen could be too tiny for drawing (on the note 10.1 I am not feel comfortable drawing… It can also be that android apps are a bit chunky ); Ativ Q was a good option before became vaporware. Do you think the companion is a good tablet besides drawing experience?

After read Yuureikun's feedback i just want to order one :)

(sorry for my english, i'm spanish:))

9. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

there is no retailer, only wacom sells them through their online store.

10. jarman65

jarman65 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just received my 256gb companion yesterday! Here's some of my impressions coming from a Samsung ativ 500t and then a Sony VAIO Duo 13.

-build quality is excellent. The materials and constriction feel really high end
    -the pen is a dream to draw with! The combination of the screen texture and the pro pen are much better than anything I've used so far
    -i was worried about the pen accuracy compared to the ntrig in the VAIO duo 13 but so far it hasn't been an issue (ntrig has the sensor closer to the pen tip). I'm also glad that there is no cursor lag when moving the pen across the screen like with the VAIO. There is much less of a gap between the LCD and touch panel than on a full size cintiq.
    -the touch controls really surprised me and work really well with SBP and PS.
    -im really looking forward to getting into digital painting in PS soon. So far I've only done a few product design sketches with SBP.

pictogramax and Yuureikun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.