Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

After a long thinking sessions, I ended up with these thoughts:

13HD is worthless when for a bit more you can have a mobile cintiq you can take anywhere. Id sure appreciate the freedom that would give me. And also, hybrid would also work with a regular desktop. 13HD out.

I need something mobile to run zbrush, so companion hybrid is out.

Regular companion would be the perfect choice, except the ridiculous price tag of 2k...So for $500 less Ill stick with the surface pro 2.

2. rurifan

rurifan Pen Pal - Newbie

FYI, Companion 256GB is back in stock at US store.wacom.com.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Although it would be a bit more of a awkward set up admittedly, the Companion Hybrid does have a major trump over the regular Companion. Unlike the 13HD, the Hybrid can act as proper Cintiq but off of its own battery. As an alternative to the Companion, you could technically just tether a Macbook Air or Ultra Book to the Hybrid and run both off their respective battery power. It would be more cumbersome and more expensive outright, but in a long term sense it would probably suit power users better since you could connect the Hybrid to laptops more powerful then the Companions ultra low voltage i7. And then when the Hybrids battery starts to crap out a year or 2 down the line, you could just keep it off AC power and use it as a regular cintiq with a Desktop.

4. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

You are right. If I didnt want something mobile and capable of running windows, Id probably switch my intuos5 for a companion hybrid. Maybe next year.

Just wish theyd merge companion and companion hybrid, leaving one single product running windows, acting as a regular cintiq when plugged in and, of course, keeping the price as high as the hybrid version.

5. Nellyaa

Nellyaa Pen Pal - Newbie

We all wish for this! Unfortunately we will need some major competition for wacom - otherwise we'll probably never see this.

6. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone use Mudbox or other 3D applications on the Companion yet?

7. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

My replacement Cintiq came in yesterday, and I spent the day giving it a whirl. So far, it has been incredible. I am thoroughly enjoying the machine so far, and the new Manga Studio 5.0.3 update on it feels like such a winning combination! Everything seems to be fixed with the cursor accuracy now, I have had no problems with it using the newest tablet driver. I made a large canvas (13x19 inch at 350 dpi) on both the Companion, and my desktop with my Cintiq 21ux and tried doing large strokes with 500+ pixel brushes, and was very surprised at just how well the Companion held up in comparison to my desktop setup. The strokes lagged on both units, and the Companion's strokes only took a fraction of a second longer to draw than my desktop, which has a Sandy Bridge i7 quad core processor.

The size seems perfect, I love the 13.3 inch screen so much, it gives me the little bit of extra room I need compared to the 11.6 inch screen on my Samnsung S7 that doesn't make me feel so cramped coming from my old 21 inch Cintiq.

I still have plenty of time to test it out, but my initial impressions are good, and I am really enjoying the Companion.

8. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

Industry needs to start redesigning interfaces for stylus/tablet interfaces like Autodesk has.

I've been running into shortcomings in the applications interfaces before I have in the hardware.

My favorite to use is Sketchbook Pro and Mischief for pure drawing. I'm having the most problems adapting Adobe illustrator.

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I find Flash way more intuitive and easy to use for just drawing/sketching in vector, if that's what you needed Illustrator for. Unless your doing graphic design or repeating patterns in vector, I find Illustrator frustrating and non-essential.

10. ForzaqC

ForzaqC Pen Pal - Newbie

For sure, using Illustrator is a very abstracted process compared to drawing with natural media. I've been using AI for going on 15 years and I still prefer SBP if I'm just drawing. Situations where I would use Illustrator are logo/graphic work, or for any piece that may need to be quite large and has strong lines (comic-style art, I guess you might call it). I really like the low file size and infinite scalability of vector art (and vector programs don't get much more powerful than Illustrator), but it's definitely not suited for some applications.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.