Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rurifan

rurifan Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice side-by-side. The Surface Pro really puts the Cintiq Companion to shame in terms of portability. (Have to give Microsoft some credit, the Surface design is pretty clever.)

For me, portability isn't the biggest concern though; that's why I've been on the fence between the Cintiq 13HD and the Companion.

2. Nellyaa

Nellyaa Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah, I just saw that vid this morning. To be honest, the Surface Pro really has the advantage of a clever compact design. However the small screen in comparison to the companion puts me off.

It's the first time I hear bout the stand being crap - can other companion owners confirm this? Was the stand usefull or do you work without it?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  3. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm ok with the stand. It's not as clever or elegant a solution as the Surface Pro but it does have the advantage of being a separate piece. If you don't want the extra weight or size it can completely be removed and left behind.

The stand makes for a very stable base at each the three angles for the Companion. Which is the most important thing and why I've over-looked any shortcomings.

My two critiques:
    -It takes some practice putting it on. I was a little clumsy putting it together at first, but I am much better with it now.

-The folding pieces that lift up to slot into the back of the Companion are hinged by folding plastic. I wonder how long that will last.

4. pogues

pogues Pen Pal - Newbie

I wouldn't count on a price drop till they release a new version and want to get rid of any left over stock. There certainly won't be a price drop by January (especially since they can't even keep the 215gb model in stock as it is). I also believe that the companion is, at least for now, only available through Wacom itself.

As far as new models I would think Wacom will go with an 18-24 month release cycle simply because of the size of the company I don't think they can do it year to year, especially at such a price tag. Plus with all the complaints about using ivy bridge they will want to wait and see what intel's move is with the haswell or any new chip sets. Not to mention its gonna be hard to expect people to shell out 2k+ every year especially since the Companion will be viable for at least 18 months.

5. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

I ended up making a lap board and a folding stand for my Surface Pro. The kickstand was pretty useless for using on your lap--fine on a desk or table. The Companion stand is great for using on lap or in bed, or on a table. It does seem a little cheap, and it would be nice if it snapped in with magnets or something to lock it in. But it is surprisingly effective for how flimsy it seems.

justicejr likes this.
  6. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

Make a lap board?

This is one of the reasons I went with Companion over the SP.

The Surface Pro requires adaptations; new stylus, lap board and possibly a short cut key mod to work as well for drawing as the Companion tablet out of the box.

7. Nellyaa

Nellyaa Pen Pal - Newbie

This was my impression from watching videos about it too, good to have a confirmation from an owner. Because I guess the stand will work just well, even if it is looking a little flimsy, as you put it.

EDIT:
    Yup, I think so too. Until January there won't be a huge price drop, I expect 100€ at best.
    Bring out a new companion every 3 years will be not enough, though. After 3 years the hardware will be quite old and not viable for up-to-date graphic software, they wouldn't be able to charge you 1.900€ for it then anymore. I will keep an eye on it, however.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  8. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

So apparently is a very bad idea to buy the cintiq 13 HD when there's the companion hybrid, right?

Im having serious doubts between cintiq hd13, companion hybrid or surface pro.

9. Nellyaa

Nellyaa Pen Pal - Newbie

If you're certain you'll only draw at home, the 13HD would be your best choice I guess. No need to pay extra for a feature you won't use. Also depends on what you want to do on the go. Personally, if I had to decide between Surface Pro an Companion Hybrid, I'd go for the Surface Pro. Photoshop would outweight wacom in that regard for me personally. I guess you can only decide for yourself and try every device beforehand if possible. (Yes, getting hands on a cintiq before buying could provide itself difficult)

10. rurifan

rurifan Pen Pal - Newbie

The advantage of the Cintiq Companion Hybrid is that you can actually buy it. :p The Cintiq 13HD has been rapidly out of stock everywhere reasonable for months. I suspect Wacom is using all the parts to make Companions instead.

Nellyaa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.