Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

What is cintiqs release date in Canada, anyone knows?

2. pogues

pogues Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks justicejr, although I don't know why ***** got bleeped out haha. I am still really torn between what to buy, the reason I was looking for mobile is that I travel for work and am often in a city where I know no one for about a week with nothing much to do at night and would like to be able to draw while sitting in the hotel. Thanks for the info. This thread (and especially those of you who have bought one) have been very helpful.

@Dream, I believe the Cintiq Companion is already available worldwide.

3. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

I typed s-h-o-e-s. Haha.

If you are on the road a week at a time I can totally see why you would want a mobile device. That might be enough for me to go with a mobile tablet as my primary drawing device.

It's a tough spot to be in. If it helps, you'll be pretty happy with a desktop cintiq or the Companion tablet. (You'll be happy with the Surface pro as well, I imagine.)

4. christians86

christians86 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the feedback :) I'll order a Surfacepro 2 when I see the student offering *can't wait*

5. rurifan

rurifan Pen Pal - Newbie

The 256gb model seems to be sold out online now for the US. :(
    Wonder when the next bach arrive; hope it's not like the Cintiq 13HD which they never have in stock.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  6. pogues

pogues Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh Wacom, what are we going to do with you? Not a good sign that it just says out of stock. If they don't get more in the store in a week they are only going to hurt their market. Hopefully by the end of next week it will be back in the store.

7. raphroberts

raphroberts Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi - just a thought - you could purchase a surface pro 2 and a cintiq 13hd for around the same price as the companion - if you dont currently have a cintiq for non-mobile use.

Edit - sorry just re-read your post, so you have a 13hd allready. If you go with the surface pro I would be keen to hear how you find the experience compares between that and the cintiq.

8. Nellyaa

Nellyaa Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello there, I've been lurking around this forum for years, I think I discovered it in 2009 and since I always used it to keep me informed about tablet pcs. I got interested in the matter because I love drawing digitally and always wished for a all-in-one-mobile-solution. For long I thought about a lenovo convertible, but just couldn't justify spending so much money on something I did not really need at that time and felt didn't fulfill all my artisty needs.

With the announcement of the cintiq companion, 4 years after I started prowling around the tablet pc market, I feel like I've found the gear I gladly want to spend 2,000 bucks on.

The long and the short of it, I wanted to thank you guys for participating in this thread, I'm checking it daily and found it really usefull so far. Now that I made an account I hope to join the conversation and share my knowledge, even if it's not that vast at the moment. I'm planning to purchase the device in January, hoping for it to be a little cheaper then. Also, need to scratch my pennies together first, being a poor college student and all.

That's a thing I'm wondering about - wacom products never really dropped in prices that much, because they did not get old as fast as a CPU or graphics card. You could always upgrade your computer and still use the old tablet. Now that the companion is out, I'm curious about the price development. How long will it be 1.900 €, and how much will it drop until it discontinues?* Also, they need to regularily bring out upgraded versions with newer hardware - they can't just sit around bringing a new intuos every 3 years - that's not going to work with the companion.

My two cents so far.

*e.g. the wacom 12wx went from 999€ to 750€ (new device), that's about 20-30% less, not that much imho. As far as I know most other wacom tablets were about the same.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  9. justicejr

pictogramax likes this.
  10. justicejr

I suspect Wacom is going to hold the price up as long as they can. Once a 2nd gen device comes out the previous will either disappear or be priced to move to liquidate stock.

I don't think we will ever see a sale on the Companion models from Wacom. Maybe a reseller that has a few in stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.