Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pogues

pogues Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think most people were upset with your rant on the businesses practices of Wacom (which are frankly very similar to a lot of companies, especially tech companies), I think they were more offended that you basically said anyone who wants or has bought a Companion is an idiot. Perhaps this isn't how you meant it, but this is how I (and it seems a few others) took it. When coming to the forum to get information on this device you certainly don't want to get the feeling you are stupid because of it.

What I am curious about from anyone who has bought is have you used a Surface Pro and how does the Companion size up against that? I have had limited experience with the Surface and was waiting for the Pro 2 to come out when Wacom made their announcement about the Companion. Now I am debating between the two. I have been saving up for a few years to buy a Cintiq as I am not a professional artist, just do some freelance stuff on the side and art is mostly a hobby I do (webcomics etc). I have found with using my Galaxy Note II that being able to work digitally mobile is important to me, especially when traveling since I don't have a laptop that I could hook a Cintiq too.

Any information is appreciated. I am also wondering if the menus are hard to navigate with just touch/stylus? Have any of you added custom brushes in MS5?

pictogramax likes this.
  2. rurifan

rurifan Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody have an opinion about screen protectors for the Cintiq Companion? It does not have Gorilla Glass, so I am kinda worried about scratches. POSRUS makes a protector for the Cintiq 13HD which I assume would work...

3. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

The Surface Pro 2 definitely sounds like it would be perfect for your uses. The Cintiq is ideal for a "use anywhere" main unit, but in your case where you just want something ultra portable to use on a bus and what not, the Surface Pro 2 should be better and cost a little less at that. I think it's your best option.

4. justicejr

justicejr Scribbler - Standard Member

I had not yet considered a screen protector. I'm hesitant to use one though, because the drawing surface is so nice already.

5. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

The surface of the companion is a film. I called Wacom to get a bit more info about it, to see if it was easily replaceable, but the question was beyond the service tech. I told her I liked using the felt nibs, knew they might scratch the film someday, and wanted to know what the replace me process for the screen film would be. She could only say that it wouldn't be covered by warranty if I used those nibs. Basically, the companion is too new for them to know what would happen if it needed a film replacement. She did say that they do not recommend a screen protector.

I did buy one from photodon. I've had good luck with theirs. But I think I'm just going to take my chances with the one it comes with. I love the texture of it, wish I could get a similar one my cintiq 22. If it scratches, I bet you could remove it entirely and then use an aftermarket one.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  6. ThorntonArtStudio.com

ThorntonArtStudio.com Scribbler - Standard Member

I've used desktop Cintiqs for years, never had scratches. I don't necessarily draw lightly. Had a buddy with the original gray 21ux who drew aggressively and scratched it, but the surface material was updated with the black version. Currently I've used a 24hd touch everyday for over a year, plastic nib and normal pressure, no scratches. As long as you don't draw like a psycho and keep the screen/pen free of debris, it won't be a problem. Plus the surface is so nice to draw on! I tried a photodon screen protector on a Samsung s7 slate and did not like it or the glass. Wacom knows their materials.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Wait, felt nibs have a greater chance of scratching the screen than plastic ones?!? But felt is softer, isn't it? I LOVE my felt nibs, and would be shocked if that was really the case... For them to tell you that the warranty would be voided if you used felt nibs (that Wacom provides for their pens) on their screen seems ludicrous to me!!
    Is there something I'm missing here? I had no idea felt nibs posed any threat, and since when are wacom product screens susceptible to damage from them??

8. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

Wacom has said they no longer recommend the felt nibs on cintiqs because there's a chance grit can get picked up by the felt and then scratch the surface. Presumably not as big a concern on an intros tablet. They only recommend the nibs that come with your unit.

I've kept using the felt nibs with no problems, but if I drop the pen on the floor or something, I clean the nib off with my fingers. I think with a tiny bit of caution you'll be fine. I also use the more rubbery nib (can't remember what they call it) and that works fine too but sometimes leaves a bit of eraser like smudge on the screen that cleans off easily.

All that said, I do think with the companion being more mobile and not having a cover, it is going to be more likely to get some gritty things on the screen and stuck in the bezel. I'm going to be cleaning it more often and more carefully than I do my desktop cintiqs.

justicejr likes this.
  9. justicejr

Draw like a Psycho. This should be on a t-shirt or a sticker.

10. justicejr

Comic artist Jonathan Case has had wonderful results using the Surface Pro 1 and Manga Studio for Batman '66. His experience was one of the reasons I decided on searching for a tabletPC for myself.

Either the companion Tablet or the Surface Pro 2 would work for webcomics. Surface Pro 2 will be easier to use on the go, but you'll have to adapt a few things to get it ready for doing art.
    I would recommend some method of performing shortcuts and a new stylus if you went with the SP2.

After having drawn on both devices the Wacom feels nicer to draw on. I did like the smooth glass on the SP2 but now having drawn on the textured screen of the Wacom I like it more.

Take this opinion for what it's worth: If I were in your *****, I'd spend my money on a 22 or 24HD desktop Cintiq before considering the Companion or SP2. It is a much better value and nothing can compare to drawing on the large drawing surface those provide.

If mobility is that important it's a very close race between the Companion and the Surface Pro 2.

pogues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.