Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Trevor Dennis

Trevor Dennis Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just come across the Flyshark foldable Blu Tooth mini keyboard, and thought it would be good for travelling, but I am wondering if anyone has used one with a Cintiq Companion 2?

2. benjammin

benjammin Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone tell me how to change the boot order on the CC1?

3. BobBee

BobBee Pen Pal - Newbie

I opened up my CC1 to finally fix that stupid charging problem via soldering, look below. I'm currently uploading a video to describe the process. If you choose to open your CC1, your port could be in a different state than mine.

http://imgur.com/a/ayWHp

EDIT:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  4. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That was great BobBee. Thanks for taking the time to explain in such detail and for the still diagram to illustrate it. I am sorry you had to go through that. Has it been three years already for you? Mine is still working. I am on my third Companion 1 due to this problem. I hope some person from Wacom sees this and makes sure the Companion 3 has it corrected. I love the Companion but it still gives me the shivers due to the connectivity problem. I have to still learn how to solder too!!!

Thanks again for this post!

5. BobBee

BobBee Pen Pal - Newbie

No problem Michael. Yeah my warranty was up and I was fed up with the constant shipping back and forth and finally opened it. Actually wish I did it sooner, would've saved me a lot of headache.

My last fix was haphazardly taping and gluing the power jack w/ broken pin into a 'stable' position, but over time the heat got to it. The charge deteriorated and while my pin was in the correct spot, I found the port to be falling off from its solders. What's funny is that, even if there was no heat problem, just plugging in the jack can weaken the solders. So be careful when plugging the jack in.

I meticulously inspected the CC2 and concluded that it has a well-revised and improved port. The pin is way thicker, more heating vents, and larger female jack port. Still, for a CC3, if it ever happens, fan noise would be the next step. I haven't been keeping up, but has there been documented power issues like the CC1? I remember some people were confusing the two versions.

There is actually a way to clean up the wires and return my CC1 back into a portable state. But it works so well right now that I don't want to mess with it. It's been dead for 3 months and I'm just happy it's back.

Vlad1214 likes this.
  6. epic starzz

epic starzz Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone. Not sure if this forum is still active but i thought i would ask anyways. So i have a wacom companion 1st generation. A while back a set it down and the screen just went blank. Its still getting power but the video connection seems to be lost. I recently opened it up and found that when i applied a very slight amount of pressure to the board near what i believe to be the video cable, the display starts working again! (I can plug it into a external monitor and the actual computer works fine, just not the display. Anyways, i would really appreciate some help! Thanks guys!

7. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just got my Companion 1 back from Wacom. I sent it because the battery got to a point where it was not charging above 90%. The sheet enclosed said " Resolution Details: Main Control PCB Replaced." And "Component Details: CONA703."

That was it. I have written to Wacom to see if they can tell me what that means in terms I can understand so that I will know what was wrong.

Does anyone here know what that is? A Main Control PCB? CONA703? Is that the motherboard printed circuit board? I got nothing when doing google.

I am asking here because sometimes it takes Wacom days to reply.

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  8. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

I know that Wacom supposedly fixed the charging port design/material with units manufactured the July 2014.
    Is it possible to find the date of manufacture by looking at the box?
    And has anyone encountered the same problem with units even with the redesigned port after this date?