Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Scot Solida

Scot Solida Pen Pal - Newbie

I only wonder, though, because Wacom claim that no units after July, 2014 will have the issue. Not sure if I believe that. I would like to. However, I am just sick with doubt and suspicion that it will fail - after the 30-day period ends. I really don't want to get into a cycle of continually sending it back.

2. Scot Solida

I had a nice long Corel Painter session with the Companion today. If it weren't for the paranoia over the jack, it would be a dream machine. I had expected to feel constrained by the screen size (I like working big) but in fact the unit's compact size was a plus, allowing me freedom I don't have with the 27QHD Touch. I haven't tried charging it since yesterday... but yesterday the jack was fine, though if this thread is any indication it could flake out any time.

I am thoroughly sold on the Companion experience. And I will almost certainly ship this one back and buy the CC2. I just wish I could afford to do it without waiting for the refund. Now having tasted the sweetness of portability, I don't want to go without it for the three week refund processing period.

3. AvatarSCA

Which CC2 do you plan on getting?

4. Scot Solida

I'll be getting the i7 256GB. That seems the best model for my needs (mostly Painter and Toon Boom Harmony)

5. veniality

veniality Pen Pal - Newbie

WARNING: Long read. I hope I broke up the text enough. Sorry for the formatting with the questions, I've never posted here before, I had some issues.

TL;DR - I like cheese.
    I have a first gen 21UX and a Thinkpad Yoga S1. Yoga made me realize Touch is amazing, please give me opinions to move on from my 21UX to a touch enabled option.

Use
    I draw/paint on my devices. I used to use photoshop, but recently I cancelled my CC subscription and switched to using Clip Studio Paint. I received CSP as a gift, and I found it a lot cleaner and more interesting to use than Photoshop. Also it seemed to run a lot better with the same hardware specs. System Requirements.

Background
    I need some help with a decision for purchasing a wacom device. I will preface this with the following things: it will be about a year or so before I make a purchase, and I prefer wacom products versus other screen/device types.

I found what I've read here to be very helpful when considering your portable workstation choices, but my situation is more about juggling around portable and stationary workstation devices.

It's always been my dream since I was a munchkin and discovered those lower end wacom tablets that technology would release an all in one laptop machine with a Wacom screen. My absolute dream. As a result, I have a hard time thinking about the Cintiq Companion in a clear and critical manner. The little girl inside me is just screaming "I want, I want, gimmie gimmie gimmie." Considering I don't make much money, I want to make sure I make a purchase decision that should last me at least several years.

I currently have a first generation Wacom Cintiq 21UX that is still going strong with no issues. I've had that thing for who knows how long. Bought it new years ago. I've had no hardware or any difficulties with it. Around the time the CC2 was announced, I bought a Thinkpad Yoga S1 for like $500 or so online (or was it $600?). I considered this model thanks to this forum, and testing the possibilities out in stores. You've all been very helpful to read. I've been very happy with what it provides considering it's not designed to be a drawing device. I often prefer using it now over my Cintiq 21UX, primarily because of the Touch capabilities. I have absolutely fallen in love with being able to zoom, pan, and rotate using the touch interface. It is absolutely jarring for me for some reason to go back to my Cintiq and have no touch. I know a lack of touch capability seems like a silly complaint to have, but I never knew that having touch would change work flow so much for me. It really is an amazing thing.

I don't want to go outside the realm of Wacom, as I prefer their displays and express keys. I currently use a micro game controller with the buttons mapped for using on the Thinkpad Yoga, but this is annoying when I draw in my lap. It isn't really a problem when drawing on a table, but I really like being able to sit on the couch and doodle.

It's still my dream to eventually have an all-in-one portable wacom workstation, but it's hard to not be blinded by the dream and go for what is currently the best option for me.

Questions

1. I've never had any cintiq size other than 21UX, and my Thinkpad Yoga screen size has been completely fine for me as far as drawing goes. I find myself often only using the lower half (maybe 2/3) of the 21UX due to the size and cumbersome/bulkiness (short female, small arms).​

a. Anyone have any opinions on the difference of a 21in cintiq to a 13in cintiq?
    b. I see a lot of artists when it comes to the cintiq displays that BIGGER IS BETTER (holy crap they have a 27in cintiq now? What do you do with all that real estate?). Do you find this true personally, or is the smaller size plenty for you?
    2. I want whatever I purchase to last a long time. I'm trying to make purchases that will benefit me immediately and in the long run. As I said my 21UX has lasted me since they first started making the things, without issues.
    a. Do you find the CC2 to be a reliable workstation? It looks like it is having MANY issues (fan noise is not a problem for me), but it's hard to tell if it's confirmation bias because everyone reports there issues online, and those who have no problems tend not to say anything.
    b. Would it be better to hold off until the CC3 since I have to finish saving money anyways?
    3. The goal ultimately is to replace my 21UX in some form, since I am having silly issues of having no touch capabilities.
    a. Should I continue to keep my workstations separate? One mobile and one stationary?
    b. Do you find that having only a mobile workstation is a problem if your hardware fails and you don't have a good backup?
    c. I feel like some of my options include 1 or maybe a combination of the following, opinions?​

• 22HD Touch (keep workstations separate, worry about dream another time, and the current cintiqs look a lot sleeker and easier to deal with than my current 21ux)
      • Refurbed CC
      • Refurbed CCH
      • CC2
      • Wait for CC3
      • Selling the 21UX in combination with one of the above.
    d. I've considered just getting a refurbed CCH and use it for mobile and in connection to my desktop to see how I like the size. I have an art app I use on my Note 4 phone that I really like (Artflow), and feel like I could make a CCH work pretty decently. It might also be a good way to see how I feel with the size, and see if I can get away with having no 21UX. Opinions on an $800 doodle machine that can connect to the desktop? For that matter, is there a reason to get the 13HD Touch over a CCH?

Wrap Up
    I have a history of being a bit of an impulsive buyer. I'm not really anymore, but I still have a bit of that nagging in my brain. I don't make much money, so when it comes to purchases of this size, I have some unrealistic expectations on how long it should last (FOREVER it should last FOREVER). I'm also afraid of making decisions I'll regret (such as buying CC2, selling 21UX, regretting size differences, or exploding after a few months, etc). It looks like Wacom has a good return policy if you don't like it in the first 30 days, I just don't want to open a box and have them need to restock a device if I end up making the wrong decision.

I know I'm supposed to be the only one that knows best for my personal use, but I need some outside opinions to best educate myself to making the right decision.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY OPINIONS! Sorry for the wall, let me know if I should reformat or make smaller. :x

PS - I spent way too much time retyping this and staring at this in the submission window. I don't know why, I've been way too nervous to post here for months.

TL;DR - I like cheese.
    I have a first gen 21UX and a Thinkpad Yoga S1. Yoga made me realize Touch is amazing, please give me opinions to move on from my 21UX to a touch enabled option.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I know the feeling, been there before myself too...

you ẃill probably find the 13" of the companion perfectly fine to work with, somewhat it'll appear even bigger than what it actually is.
    but
    recently I felt the need of a bigger screen to work, maybe I'm only getting older and my eyesight is not like years before: I bought an asus 19.5" tablet monitor to attach to thé companin and I can say there's definitely something better, more natural in being able to move your arm on a larger device.
    so I use both depending on my mood.

potentially, a cintiq companion could eaily last you years. with wacom devices seems just a matter of luck.
    my first companion had some grey pixels in the upper left corner but was perfect in all the rest. my seond substituted that and has all sort of stability issues.

if you work and your work depends on a machine, my experience is that you MUST have some sort of backup machine, because you never know when your main machine decides to die on you.
    I felt myself safe having a cintiq companion as main machine and a surface pro 3 ad second device.
    now I sold the surface but I know if the companion dies I could just use my wife old laptop and attach it to the asus to get the work done.
    not counting the imminent ipad pro that will be able to manage the majority of my work too.
    even if it's slower, a second device may save you from total failure one day. ;)

regarding your options, if it was me I would simply go for a refurbished CC.

7. Scot Solida

As has been recounted above, I just sold my old 21UX and replaced it with a refurbished Companion 1 only to learn of the power supply issues after the fact. I now have a working replacement from Wacom, but will nevertheless replace this one with a CC2 next month. I have a 27QHD Touch as my main workstation and had been hanging on to my much-loved 21UX as a backup. The CC1's portability swayed me and I sold my 21UX to buy it.

I like the Companion's portability, but I like to draw big, so I could never use it as my only workstation. I am having some difficulty with its small screen, but I am getting used to it. As a portable device it works very well and I expect the CC2 to work even better. However, the 21UX is hard to beat... It was one of Wacom's best realized products (in my opinion) and I even like some things about it better than the 27QHD Touch.

If you decide on a Cintiq Companion, I suggest getting it and using it for a while before you get rid of the 21UX. You may regret losing the 21UX. And as noted, you have 30 days to figure out if you like the Companion.

8. veniality

veniality Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you both for your opinions. It has greatly helped me.
    Based on what you've said, and my own feelings, I'll hold onto my 21UX and get a refurbed CC. If at a later time I feel I no longer need the 21UX, I will sell it.
    Again, thank you!

Edit: On another note, I had no idea this forum had trophies!

Azzart likes this.
  9. AvatarSCA

I FINALLY pulled the trigger! My CC2 i5 128gb should be here by the end of the day. I'm SO unbelievably excited.

Once I've had some time to play with it, I'll post a a link to my in depth review. Probably a YouTube video, but I might do a text write up here as well.

Thanks for all the helpful discussion over the past year.

10. AvalonX

AvalonX Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder what is next for the Cintiq Companion. After seeing the SP4 and Surface book, I think Wacom is going to need to step up. I am hoping they ditch the 16:9 format. The next CC is going to be huge for them if they can get it right.