Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My i5 CC2 has the same power drain. So long as you keep it charged the night before you use it, (or you just use it everyday) its not that much of an issue.....but it is annoying to have on any device that costs so much.

One reason for it that I can think of is that maybe it has to do with the Battery Charging Led on the CC2. There are times when I use it down to 20% Battery, shut it down completely, put it away in its bag, then when I get home hours later and I take it out of the bag......alot of times I notice the charging Led is lite up Red despite the device not being turned on. My guess is that the Charging Led is always on even when its not lit, and that may be whats drawing the power when the device is turned off. I'm not sure if thats fixable or not, but I haven't checked in bios yet.

2. AvatarSCA

The debate has really died down. Is everyone happy with their CC2 now?

I'm about to cut loose and pick up the i5 128gb version for ZBrush and illustrating in Photoshop but thought it would be a good idea to check in on how the device has been for everyone.

Thanks!

3. Scot Solida

Scot Solida Pen Pal - Newbie

New member, long time Wacom user here. For those of you considering the refurbished CC1, you may be interested in knowing that I got the flaky power connector issue within a few days of receiving mine. I will be calling Wacom tomorrow and arranging a refund. I hope they don't have the audacity to charge me for shipping it back to them. I have spent lots of money with them over the years (two Graphires, two 21Ux and a 27QHD Touch) and have, until now, always bought with confidence. I was so looking forward to a bit of portability and the ability to use Painter from the comfort of an easy chair or porch swing. Alas, the Companion has shaken that confidence. Would that I had seen this thread before placing my order. Fortunately, the Companion was not meant to be my main Cintiq (that'd be the 27QHD Touch), so I won't suffer any downtime. But what a drag. After reading this this epic length thread, I can't say that I'd feel too comfortable simply having it repaired. And I am none too sure about plumping twice as much moolah for a CC2 - though I see fewer complaints on that model. Still, it'd be twice the scratch for an equivelent second generation unit.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  4. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

I got 1 companion 1 refurb dead pixel then I got 2x companion 2 and they had dead pixels,,i was really angry so gave up then I seen the 27hd for £1890 to good to be true screen superb but dead pixel,,very very angry.quality control should be much better at this price point.anyone see this maybe a new 22qhd or maybe skylake ,,maybe nothing but with the ipad pro pencil and the surface pro 4 have Wacom got something up there sleeve.check back 21st september

https://twitter.com/wacom?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

5. AvatarSCA

That's an intriguing tweet by Wacom. Looks like I'll wait until September, 21 before making any decisions.

Thanks!

6. Scot Solida

Another couple of days trawling through various forum posts here and elsewhere recounting Companion woes. I am having serious doubts now. The Wacom support has in no way boosted my confidence. For a fleeting moment, I convinced myself to cancel the replacement Companion 1 and get the 2 instead, but Wacom had no way of simply charging me the $900 difference and shipping out the CC2. They could only issue a refund which I would then have to wait weeks to receive and then order a CC2 as a seperate order. Crazy!

So they are shipping the replacement CC1 out and they have assured me that it will be a post-August/2014 unit and has a different jack from the one I bought only a couple of weeks ago. Can this be true? And have those replacements actually fixed the problem?

Has anyone here had a replacement or new unit made after they were supposedly fixed in July of 2014? Has the power jack lasted on those units?

I have to say, my confidence is seriously shaken and I am considering throwing in the towel, getting my money back and buying a ten-year supply of sketchbooks.

7. AvatarSCA

Unfortunately the announcement was only a sale on refurbished CC1's. Nice deal but I still plan on getting a CC2. Guess I'll keep saving my pennies.

8. Scot Solida

Huh. I don't see the sale price yet. Not that it matters, I plumped for a refurb CC1 back on September 25.

Oh, right, I see. There is a Facebook announcement. $100 off. Yeah, that is a good deal, if the customer is lucky enough to get one that works!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  9. Scot Solida

I received my replacement CC1 today and so far it seems okay. However, so did the first one I got - for a few days, anyhow.

I will say, they did exactly as I requested, as far as I can tell. My first companion had a serial number starting with "3", and so too have many I have seen mentioned as having power jack issues. I specifically asked for a replacement unit manufactured after July 2014 when they were supposedly built with a better jack. I assume they honored that request, as this one has a serial number beginning with "4CAH". I can see no real difference. The power jack isn't loose (yet) but it doesn't quite fit in all the way. A bit of metal is still visible.

I am wondering: have any of you had the charging/jack issue with a unit with a serial number in this range?

I can't say that I am too confident that this unit will not fail. I'll play with it for a while and decide whether to send it back and spend the refund on a CC2 or just forget about going portable.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I think the chance of a failing power port is totally random.
    My companions, 2 machines, came both with a serial starting with 3 and none of them manifested any sign of charging problem.