Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

1. ggh4

ggh4 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone purchased a refurbished CC1 from Wacom? I am curious how well they are refurbished and if it is almost like purchasing a fresh new one

2. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My third Companion is acting up. I returned the first two with the "plugged in; not charging problem" and the third one, now about six months old, is not always shutting down. I use the normal "power>shut down procedure and then the screen turns off but the fans continue to whirr and the little light on the side stays on, either amber or green. I let it run this way for a while thinking that maybe some background process is unfinished...but after about ten or fifteen minutes I do a forced shutdown by holding the power button in until the fan stops and the light goes out.

Anyone experiencing this? Should I notify Wacom and be ready to return this one also? I am quite certain that they will not consider it under warranty even though this third unit is less than 6 months old.

Any advice or opinions from those better qualified on topics such as this will be welcomed.

Thanks...

3. BobBee

BobBee Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had that problem too, but it went away after awhile. I also held the power button to get the true shutdown.

But I don't think this is a power issue. I recall having a ton of background processes on such as the Apple updater thing, Spotify etc. I remember disabling a few of them that were useless through Task Manager and the problem went away.

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

my second has all sorts of little problems:
    -sometimes it doesn't shut downlike yours
    -other times I want to put it in standby only to discover the next day it only turned off the screen
    - other times again it's blue screen of death without any apparent reason (at some point I started to take pictures of this, maybe one day I'll zip the whole collection and send them all to wacom along with a fiery email)
    -you set it to go standby after, say, 15 minutes of inactivity? Obviously it will just turn off the display
    -take a break in whatever you are doing and go away for 10 minutes? Once you come back you'll find it magically restarted itself.
    aaah how I love this little machine, it does everything possible to make my life less boring...

I'm still undecided if I want them to swap it for another refurbished machine and face the hell of Wacom Europe customer service or if I prefer to simply endure all these little failures. I usually lean to the latter.

5. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you both for the replies. Makes me feel a bit better knowing that I am not alone with this problem and that it might work itself out. I will check task manager to see if there are unnecessary tasks running. Thanks again...

6. Plognark

Plognark Scribbler - Standard Member

I did a full teardown of my Companion to clear dust out of the screen over the last couple of days. Very, very different machine than my old T902. The screen isn't held in place with any adhesive, which was a surprise. There are a couple of points where the wires connect to the screen that aren't sealed as well as they should be, so the cooling fan will eventually start forcing dust in along the bottom edge. I closed them off a bit with some captan tape; hopefully that will minimize the problem.

7. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

i did a full tear down the other day for fun on my CC1. Pretty easy to do- nothing to void warranty wise. the hardest part is removal of the plastic screw covers. I have had plugged in not charging issue for a while that has gotten progressively worse- so bad it can only charge once in a while while holding the cable a certain direction. I fixed it! it was stupid easy. wish i had taken pictures- all i had to do was bend part of the female plug down for a more firm connection, now it charges perfectly every time.

8. BobBee

BobBee Pen Pal - Newbie

How on earth did you get the black rubber corners off?

Glad you fixed yours man!

9. Orda

Orda Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello fellow CC owners,

Posting for the first time after lurking for 2 years :D.

A question!

Is there a way to remap the hardware Volume Up and Volume Down buttons on the left side of the Cintiq Companion to +brush size and -brush size? (In Photoshop the shortcuts are "[" for +size and "]" for -size)

Preferably it should be holding the volume up button makes the brush size get bigger continuously until it is let go of.
    Same for volume down but the brush size gets smaller of course.

This would make the CC perfect for digital painting, much much better than pressing a button 10 times to re-size a brush to desired size.

Thanks in advance.

10. Orda

Orda Pen Pal - Newbie

Forum member Danijoy provided me with an excellent tip, in Photoshop I can hold Alt + right click and slide right to left to adjust brush size very quickly, if anyone else did not know, and the cool thing is the pen does not even need to be touching the screen for this, so you just swing the pen midair close to the screen, how cool is that!!?

Now I have a new question, has anyone had to purchase a connector tip for the CC1 charger. I need one to make a cable so I can charge CC1 with Poweradd Pilot 32000 portable battery while painting outdoors.

I have tried the below which is a 3.0mm 1.1mm tip and it goes into the CC1 fine, but there is no power and it seems very slightly loose.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Power-S...sbs_469_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1N1VFEP8BMZ00NV372QG

Does that mean its a 3.0mm 1.0mm tip? I have searched locally in Australia and all over the internet, so far no luck, only a few generic chargers and Wacom CC1 charger comes up but they are expensive options when all I need is just a tip.

Anyone got any info on this?

benjammin likes this.