Wacom Cintiq Companion Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Steve S, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count Vertsalot

Count Vertsalot Pen Pal - Newbie

I got lucky while searching. This for a 13HD, but should work for a Companion.
    http://www.fantasio.info/2013/05/setting-up-wacom-cintiq-13hd-with.html

GFXmonkey likes this.
  2. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

This isn't exactly what you are looking for but I have my Fujitsu 13 convertible with its dock on an Ergotron in my office. I just made a piece of wood (maple plate) that attaches to the Ergotron with wingnuts through the VESA holes.The base of the maple plate has a little lip that supports the Fujitsu and is a bumper when I drag it down onto the desk. I velcro'd the Docking station to the front of the maple and it stays there (Velcro makes it easier to take off for service and gives it a little bit of play for wedging the tablet against the base lip). My Fujitsu comes and goes every day. Most of the time its up in 3rd screen mode well off the desk. I can even drag it around in tablet mode to be right in front of the big center monitor You can see there's an ugly bit of cable routing channel on the back side but the back is never exposed and it makes rerouting and maintenance very easy and keeps the cables well out of the way in the front. The whole whole setup is very versatile and took about an hour to build.
    IMG_2261.jpg

3. GFXmonkey

GFXmonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this... I had seen this before but forgot about it. I stopped in the art store today for some other items, but took a quick look at mini easels to see if I could retrofit one for the companion. I'm still debating what would work best for the companion.

4. GFXmonkey

Thanks, this is a nice setup and still looks pretty neat despite the custom solution. For connecting to the vesa mount, did you use wood screws, or do you have a metal plate for the Ergotron back to connect to? Also, which model Ergotron arm is that. I am not sure I am familiar with that one.

I'm guessing this is going to be a weekend project to source materials and construct something.

5. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

Ergotron LX . They are robust. In another office I have a Cintiq 21UX on one of these with an extension. That one will rcach 30" across the desk. A bit bouncey until I pull it down to rest on the desktop.

To mount my maple base for the Fujitsu:
    I dont recommend wood screws. I'm using a high quality, black, socket head (allen key) machine screw that goes in through the front and is wingnutted in the back. small washer in the front, really big washer with small pass through hole in the back. All common hardware store stuff (Home Depot if you're in US). Counter sink the socket head and washer in the front so that it doesn't sit above the surface of the wood. The socket head makes it easy to hold with an allen wrench in the front while tightening the wingnut. The reason I used the 3/4" maple vs something thinner is because I wanted to countersink the screw heads.

GFXmonkey likes this.
  6. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been getting the plugged in not charging problem intermittently for a while but was waiting to send it in until it's really bad. I was till able to get a charge if the cord was positioned just right. It got bad enough to get the RMA and I was about to send it in, but I had a second charger I had bought and I plugged it in on a lark. It fit way more snug and is powering the unit in every position. Going to wait until this is acting up, but I wonder if something worn in the charger play could be causing some of the failures. The new charger takes a bit of force to unplug, whereas the older one pulls out with little resistance.

7. Nellyaa

Nellyaa Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys!
    I know I've been quiet for a long time - I've been skimming through your posts a bit but didn't read them all.

I was one of the buyers of the first Cintiq Companion (bought about a year ago) and wanted to give a small update for anyone interested, even though most are already at the fence for the second gen. ; )
    The charging problem still did not appear on my unit (yet)~ it seems to be one of the good ones! Lucky me. Been using the CC frequently for college and on trips and am still very happy with it.
    It lasts depending on what I do: e.g. browsing the net for ~6-7 hours, sketching and coloring medium sized files (A3) for ~4 hours.
    Big poster sized illustrations I haven't done yet without it being plugged in, but hardwarewise it starts sweating a bit when the files get this big. However, it's still on a level that's not yet cumbersome or annoying to me (maybe because I've been working on poster sized illustrations on a far worse computer before) so I can really live with that. That said, I hardly use my CC to do draw files this big outside - mostly I use it for sketching on the road, showing and working on my work at college, do presentations, play hearthstone (guilty for that I admit 0 : ) ) and use it at home (mostly plugged in) for more "finished" works on my desk.
    I don't have a desktop cintiq, so that's why I usually use the CC at home when my desktop PC is occupied with something else (e.g. picture references or a movie).

All in all, my decision buying it was a really good one. I also don't regret buying CC1 instead of waiting for CC2. The hardware is enough for the work I do at college and on tour, because the Companion lives up to my drawing habits fairly well. I don't need a higher res when I can't even count the pixels on my current CC - the only really nice thing about the new one is you can plug it in into the desktop computer (but that won't be enough for me to get through the hassle to sell my old one and invest in a new one) so I don't even feel bad for getting the first gen. However, if I should give advice if to buy CC1 or CC2, definitely go for CC2 now. The ability to choose the hardware is also really awesome. (Since I'm really satisfied what was chosen for the first gen, I don't mind that much, but people who want more powerfull or cheaper Companions will finally get adressed).

Now, I only wish I had money to buy the new Ciniq27HD... ; )
    Hope I could help a bit with my review after owning it for a bit over a year.

benjammin and thatcomicsguy like this.
  8. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Has anyone put Windows 10 on their companion yet? I have had to reformat my Companion three times in the last couple of months...due to a malware bug and for getting scammed on one malware fix. Aside from that I have encountered some type of bug when it comes to Windows 8.1 updates. I get the notification to "Upgrade and shutdown" which is normal, so I go ahead. It downloads the upgrades and shuts down. Then when starting the tablet it tries to install the upgrades. It takes time (grrrrrr) and then tells me it failed to install the upgrades and is resetting back to where it was before. This takes even more time (GRRRRR). then...a session or two later it repeats this process and repeats the failed and the resetting process. So I tried installing manually and I get most of the parts installed. I cannot remember which parts failed. I did google those numbered parts once or twice and saw that I was not alone with this problem and it is not just with the Companions. I then changed the install procedure to manual and now mostly ignore updates...which I know is not good...but I cannot solve what is keeping my machine from successfully updating and I am now unwilling to go through the frustration of watching it fail and revert back again.

Someone mentioned if I had tried the Windows 10. I do not want to compound my problems and I am no computer techie who can troubleshoot the more complex problems one can get into when changing operating systems. And I use my Companion A LOT and cannot afford down-time on it.

So I am asking on this forum. I did post this question on a new thread here under the Artists/Professions category but so far no replies. I have posted many comments on this thread back when I had the "charging/not connected problem with my first two Companions and there was pretty quick feedback...so I thought I would post the Windows 10 question here also.

Thanks for any info on this topic.

9. GFXmonkey

I haven't tried Win10 on actual hardware yet, but have been running it in a virtual machine on my desktop. While it has been making progress of late, I still think there are too many bugs for production hardware. If you want to run it on production hardware, then I'd wait for the first release candidate to come out. One of the people I've worked with put it on his Surface Pro and it has a number of issues still including problems with power management, which is not ideal for portable hardware.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

ok, I'm noticing a weird power issue with my CC2

I'll have the device at 100% charge, shut it off, then unplug it

The next day (15 or so hours later) I turn it on, and its at 94%

I take it home, charge it to 100%, shut it off, then unplug it

I don't use it for almost 2days/35-48 hours, and now its at 85%

So completely shut off, my unit seems to consume (or loses) 5-10% Battery life every day if not used.

Has anyone else noticed this with their units, or ideas how to resolve an issue like this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.