Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 i3 version AMA

Discussion in 'Artists' started by Riku, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Riku

Riku Pen Pal - Newbie

https://www.reddit.com/r/wacom/comments/3l3yux/ama_just_got_a_wacom_cintiq_companion_2_i3/

I'll be more responsive if you reply to the reddit thread, but I'll check this post every now and then.

There aren't many reviews of the i3 version, at least I couldn't find much while I was researching if it was worth buying or not. So I just bought it anyway. It's actually pretty snappy, surprisingly. I've owned a Surface Pro 3 i3 version also, and this feels just as good as that one. The Cintiq actually uses a non-low power version of the i3 processor that the SP3 uses.

Fans are pretty quiet.

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have on it!

Oh and if anyone was wondering, you can totally hook up a PS3 to it and play games.

Also, if you are using it in Cintiq mode with a different computer, like a desktop, the USB ports on the cintiq become USB hubs, which is super super convenient.

When in Cintiq mode, it puts the companion desktop to sleep, or at least im 95% sure it does.

Attached Files:

2. andya147

andya147 Scribbler - Standard Member

glad you like it I could have got the surface pro i5 or i7 but decided on the i3 been very happy with it in general but am selling it due to n-trig I find Wacom so much better to sketch with ,I had the comanion i5 and the companion 2 but unfortunate for me they had dead pixels and it drove me mad ,how do you find battery life on it

3. Riku

Riku Pen Pal - Newbie

It's not so much better than the other companions, I get somewhere like 4-5 hours, depending on brightness, connectivity and what programs I'm using on it. I mostly use Mischief, Flash, SAI, Black Ink and Photoshop (in that order), although the little estimated meter likes to say 3 hours, which is pretty inaccurate in experience. I would imagine my sketching programs don't use nearly as much processing power. I will run some battery benchmarks and post results here in the future.

I couldn't find a high performance setting on it, but on the go I usually have it set to Powersaver.

4. donbartolo

donbartolo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Riku!

> Concerning photoshop and small brushes: Do you have lagging with fast strokes on photoshop when working on big files (A4/300 dpi)

This person made a nice video whit an i3, but the dpi of his documents are so low... ^^;

> Any experience with Toon Boom Harmony 12 ? Same question about lagging strokes. :p

Great thanks for your feedback! :)

5. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

where is the review? your link just goes back to this blog.
    do any life drawing? i kill a cc2 I7 in 2.5 hours, on powersaver, with the screen turned all the way down. i get more like 3 working. so you get allot better battery life.

6. Riku

Riku Pen Pal - Newbie

> Concerning photoshop and small brushes: Do you have lagging with fast strokes on photoshop when working on big files (A4/300 dpi)

I'm cutting together a video as per your request. *EDIT: stake that im just going to put a webcam video of it real quick*

It seems to me any brush under 200px on an A4, 300dpi document on photoshop has no noticeable lag. If you use a simple brush, like just a regular circle, the upper limit is about 245px. When you start going above that, it starts to get more laggy.

If you have specifics, let me know. I can download brushes and show you it at whatever size you want.

Let me see if I can find a download of that software and I'll test it for you also.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  7. Riku

Riku Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm more of a sketcher and I do graphic design and photos. I've been kinda busy lately, didn't have time to post a formal video review. I usually have the brightness set to about 50%. I get about four to five hours depending on the task and how much stuff I have open. Maybe I'll timelapse me doing a bunch of stuff on it for like five hours.

I think if you want it to operate better, you can set the resolution to 1080p, might help process stuff quicker. Seriously there's so much grain on the stock screen protector that its hardly worth setting it to the 1440p, especially if you end up scaling everything anyway, unless you need the extra screen real estate.

I think the main benefit of buying the i3 version as opposed to the older one is the ability to plug it into my desktop PC which is overpowered like mad. (6700k, 980ti)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  8. donbartolo

Hello Riku!

So many thanks for your speedy feedback (including video material!) :p

> This is the kind of images i make on my cintiq 13hd
    Following your video do you think it's okay for sketching/coloring this type of pictures without lagging? :)

Does intensive sketching under photoshop make the fans acting loud?

> Another question: Does the i3 take a lot of time to get fully charged? (I read that the i5/i7 took a crazy amount of time.)

ps: It's strange that people are so upset about the grain on the screen. It doesn't bother me at all on the 13hd. But maybe that 1440p really makes a difference! ^^;

9. Riku

Riku Pen Pal - Newbie

No problem!

It should work great for sketching and coloring without lagging. It really depends on the software and brush sizes you use.

I usually end up using SAI and Mischeif more than I do Photoshop for sketching. (infinite vector canvas ftw), but yeah, large files are fine as long as you don't hold the brush down too long or go above a 200-250px size brush.

You can optimize Photoshop with some settings. (I recommend not having a really large amount of history, I was working on something on my desktop in cintiq mode, set it to remember 999 steps of history and used 65gbs of a scratch disk)

I find that I'm noticing the fans more and more. It doesn't get hot, but the fans are always running, even with light web browsing and videos with just a skype browser open in the background.

I haven't actually thought about how long it takes to charge. I'll time it for you :)

1440p definitely makes a difference on an actual monitor, but there's so much grain that it looks like a 1080p screen honestly. (especially if you were to set it to 1440p, and then change windows scaling settings on it).

I wouldn't run gpu intensive stuff on this however. Black Ink is a fair bit laggy.

ALSO! The i3 version DOES NOT come with a case or a stand, BUT if you use the pen case, flipped so the flat side is facing the tablet and put in on the table to prop it up at a slight angle, it works really well and is actually really solid. Pro Tip. *nods*

For me the real limitations are the fact that it has such a small hard drive. 64gb is quite small, and PS takes a crap ton of space on a scratch disk if you set you history states high.

make sure set a touch on and off button, it helps to not have to worry about palm recognition not working (although it works really well), and in case you lose your pen, you have access to the touch screen

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  10. donbartolo

Many thanks for the info!

I was almost going for the portege, but your review make me doubt. :p

Did you had the chance yet to make a full charge? May i ask you how much time it took on the i3? :)
    If you have other remarks, please do! Very instructive. :)

Regards