Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bordeauxcomet

bordeauxcomet Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had this problem several times as well on my 512 model, from a fresh power on and also waking from sleep. I've contacted Wacom and will be sending it in, but has anyone already gone through that? Did they fix/replace something or just send you a new unit?

2. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

This is a surprising development, and could be upsetting to those that recently purchased this model, or spent more on the enhanced model when they didn't need the extra ram and storage. On the site, when I was looking at the specs of the i5, the specs are shown for both i7 models and indeed they have the exact same CPU and GPU.

I ended up returning mine for a refund. The final straw was the poor image quality when connected to my Mac in cintiq mode. Now I have a Cintiq 27qhd on order at BHPhoto & Video, and recently got a Surface Pro 3 i3 for $386 to satisfy some mobility sketching. It was through a employee purchase program and the price was too good to pass up. Said a demo unit, but appears new.

3. WhisperPntr

WhisperPntr Pen Pal - Newbie

@Brian123 How is the surface pro i3? I am thinking of buying on and using the money I saved from not getting a premium to get something else. $386 is a great deal though what employee purchase program would qualify?

4. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

On a whim tonight, I connected my CC2 in cintiq mode to my CC1. It worked great and made some sort of cintiq paradox that blew my mind. I was going to take them both on a trip so my spouse could work on one too, but now I'll be able to increase my desktop space if I want, and use the same pen on both.

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For that, I think you need to CC2s slaved to each other. :p

6. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

pretty sure its just a driver issue. you can replace it- but the new ones will likely do it until they fix the bug. did Wacom admit its hardware related? ive found their support guys to be less knowledgeable than the average power user. you might try reloading the stock driver- - i never had any issue until i upgraded to the new intel driver. could save you the hassel of reloading and being without your machine for weeks.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  7. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

thats cool man! im thinking about getting a I3 cc2-i think would be cool to hook it up to the enhanced model as a slave monitor too.

hey , i fixed the plugged in not charging issue on my cc1- it was easy. i just took it all the way apart and bent part of the female plug a bit it makes a tighter connection now and charges perfectly every time. it was stupid easy to fix. im stoked- now i dont have to deal with wacom support.

benjammin likes this.
  8. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

yes, i felt a little bummed out for a second- until i remembered that the CC1 had the same price point on the same i7 processors. but back then we didnt get more RAM- just a bigger SSD. And really, the speed difference between one generation of processors and the next, is really small.

but, if i was buying today- i would just get the premium model and install my own RAM. i need 16gb ram for my workflow.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  9. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

i took the CC2 enhanced model outside yesterday for alla prima painting session with some oil painters. boy did they ridicule me - but its so much easier only having to hike in a little tablet and a extra battery.

the cc2 worked great- although it started getting really hot- like uncomfortable to hold hot. i had to run the screen at full brightness (which makes a ton of heat), and the CPU was on powersaver mode (with tdp down). i ran the battery out- plugged it into my external battery, and "plugged in not charging" appeared.

The battery was so hot- it would not charge! i turned it off for a few mins-to cool- plugged it in - and it started charging. It has been getting really hot here in northern california- but i was in the shade, on powersaver mode. so, that was a little bit disappointing- since i love painting outdoors.

IMO the processor is just too fast for the cooling system on the CC2. next time im going to take the CC1 and try it out. sometimes, i wish Wacom had just used the cc1 processor, updated the cintiq connect, and put more ram in the machine. CC1 is fine almost all my needs- but is so much quieter, cooler, and has a better batter life. and when i need to 3d model- the connect mode would solve any issue is have with lack of CPU power.

10. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

At my job, we're offered a few benefits and discounts. Nothing like direct Microsoft or Apple discounts, except we do have a login for a site called opstrack.com. It's a site you might expect your IT department to us. Prices usually have a small discount and come from many sources, but often you can find better on the web if your are a savvy shopper.

This SP3 source was from Synnex Technologies, with a SKU of HD6-00001. You can find it publically listed, without price, on this page: http://synnex.com/vendors/MICROSOFT_CORP.html . You probably need some business account for more details. Do you have an HR or IT department? Check to see if they have a program that lets employees make tech purchases using business discounts. Otherwise, I heard there have been good deals on Surface Pro 3s on CowBoom, but it can vary depending on each items condition and if they are missing chargers and pens.

As for performance, Win 8.1 runs great on it so far, very pleased. I rarely ever hear the fan come on, so it's essentially silent with normal use. Only time was when I tried to draw in ArtRage while charging a low battery, which generates extra heat. I was able to run Modo on it with a quick test today. Sketched a bit in Photoshop. Though, when I used the pencil preset, the size variation from pressure would stop, while opacity pressure would work. Choosing the preset fixed it each time. While drawing, keep in mind the ongoing wiggle issue with slow diagonal lines on SP3s. Then comes 3D software, which can be a deal breaker. The two pen buttons can't be changed, so this means no right or middle mouse clicks using the pen. There may be a third-party workaround, possibly Radial Menu.

Overall, the Cintiq Companion 2 had a much more natural experience, from surface feel, pressure curve and just more believable results in your favorite software. The SP3, depending on software, I have to use more pressure than I'd like, not fun on smooth glass. No pressure curve controls. In Photoshop, it might go from light pressure to hard too fast and show an abrupt change in thickness, possibly depending on the preset brush and how you draw.

The SP3 only has one calibration, so if you rotate to portrait or flip the device, the cursor will be offset. While the CC2, when I rotated it, it would pop up a message asking to calibrate, so I think it saves separate calibrations for every orientation. The SP3 disables touch while using the pen, but it doesn't disable the touch windows button on the side. So your palm will constantly activate it while writing or drawing near it, opening the Windows 8 Tile Screen and accidently opening an app. Oh, and while the pen does have hover ability, the range seems shorter than Wacom. Just enough difference that I found myself activating touch with my palm more often that it would occur on a CC2.

The SP3 kickstand is much better integrated than the CC2. Though, while it has unlimited positions, the more flat you make it, the more likely the weight of your hand or pen pressure will cause it to sag down to the lowest position.

Considering the retail price of the SP3 i3 at $799, before any sales, you'd still have enough left to get say the Hybrid or 13HD for home use VS one mid-range CC2.

Despite the shortcomings on the SP3, it sure wins for portability and general use. I suppose you have to ask yourself what you plan to do on the go. Even if you need the power of the CC2, will you be discouraged to take it with you due to poor battery life, size and weight?

WhisperPntr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.