Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think it's normal. If they were open, you might have received a order confirmation the same day by email, or even a phone call to verify information. Then it might ship in the next 1-2 business days.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. W.I.B

W.I.B Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, I ordered the i5. I received a confirmation saying I have a package coming from a shadowy group called the EXPEDITORS INTERNATIONAL. ;-)

It is supposed to arrive Wednesday.

3. Erik_wsh

Erik_wsh Pen Pal - Newbie

Welp, after much deliberation, I have decided to return my CC2 512. For the $2500, $2700 including tax, I couldn't justify it given some of my concerns.

Battery life: generally speaking each new iteration of tablet these days, battery life improves, not the case here. I was getting 3.5hrs in Powersave mode just browsing the web or idle on a 1/4 brightness, 1hr 45min in Balanced mode on a 1/4 brightness using Zbrush and Photoshop. Didn't bother with High Performance but we can assume it's not going to be better than Balanced mode. With my CC1 I was getting roughly 5 hrs on Powersave/Balanced and 3 hrs on High Performance, which was fine by me.

The fan: some people are fine with it, I'm not one of them unfortunately... not for the price. In Zbrush, every time I touched my stylus to the screen to tumble the fan would increase to full power and then back down to nearly silent once I stop tumbling. So it's a constant up down up down reving of the fan while working in Zbrush. Yes you can wear headphones to block it out, but just sitting on the couch next to my wife while trying to watch tv, this thing is a distraction. This thing is just as loud if not louder than my 12 lbs beast of a laptop which sports a 6 core 3.2ghz i7 (desktop proc), gtx 680m 4gb, 32gb of ram and has 4 fans. I brought my CC2 into work to show some people and it blasted away our desktop machines. The fan also would rev up in Powersave to almost full randomly when the display goes to sleep and the computer is idle. Simply launching Chrome the fan would rev up.

I also dislike the location of the bottom fan, it pumps some serious amount of heat out the bottom into you nether regions while running Keyshot. The bottom half of the screen gets pretty damn hot as well. From a design perspective it's almost as though they didn't consider this as a mobile tablet and that people might be using while sat on the couch.

I have lowered the CPU to 80% which helps as the fan doesn't rev to full, but you go from 3.4ghz to 2.4ghz, which defeats the purpose of buying the top end version in addition to the fact it still revs up and down like it's not sure what it wants to do. I also tried lowering the TDP, but I couldn't say I noticed a huge difference, really I shouldn't have to go through all this fiddling when paying top dollar.

I also ran into a graphics glitch twice when waking from sleep mode where the display starts flashing artifacts and the touch becomes unresponsive. I then have to shut down using the power button.

I called and emailed tech support, about the fan and battery life. They had me send in videos which I did. The video I sent, the battery dropped 9% in 1 min 30 sec during the test and the fan did it's thing. They responded with "Thank you for your patience and cooperation. The video shows the fan with normal noise especially with 3D rendering. However you did mention that it happens from normal browsing so we can set up an in-warranty RMA for you."

They didn't bother acknowledging my question about the battery life.

As it stands now, I don't see the 512 as very portable. With the fan, I'd be afraid I would annoy people in coffee shops, but then again they'd only have to put up with me for an 1 hr 45min before my battery died.

All in all the increased ram, speed and performance is great, but I'm disappointed and regret selling my CC1 for this. Granted I had to do an in-warranty exchange once for my CC1 because the fan was making a rattling noise, I also would get that Plugged In Not Charging issues sometimes as well, but at least I could use it on my couch or in coffee shops. I may go for the refurbished CC1, but then again I may wait for the Surface Pro 4 which is supposed to come out in a couple of months. With a matte screen protector, maybe the pen will be better and the weebly radial menu will have the kinks ironed out, the SP4 may be the ticket. Who knows, maybe they'll make some improvements on the CC2 512 in the coming months. I'll keep my eyes glued to this forum for updates. Back to my Samsung S7 Slate:\

4. gian-reto

gian-reto Pen Pal - Newbie

Hm... strange about your battery usage. I have set my standart version i5 to high performance mode (I don't care too much about the noise), and I get around 2-2.5 hours of battery time while working in Manga Studio. Granted, that is not ZBrush, and I wouldn't really try to run 3D Software like that even on the enhanced version of the CC2 (too weedy CPU and iGPU), still, the numbers you reported here sound quite low.
    Maybe you should have taken Wacoms word on that RMA and tried a second machine? Could be that the battery was faulty...

About the noise: I fear that is pretty much what every owner of the CC2, no matter the version (apart from the i3, haven't heard anyone owning that version yet), reports. I hope people continue to complain, because that problem might be an easy fix for wacom if they change the Firmware / BIOS of the tablet, and change the fan profile. As my CC2 for example doesn't get very hot, and the most annoying part for most seem to be the revving up and down instead of just the fan noise, they might be able to either block the fan from reaching up to the highest setting if thermals allow, and/or just stop the fan from changing speeds this fast.
    IF that could be solved with software, then Wacom might be able to fix it remotely... now, given how much Wacom seem to be relucant to aknowledge Problems with their devices, I think it will take still some time until they react, but given enough complaints, it might happen.

In the meantime, I might get me a fan tweaker and see if I can set the fan to a fixed run speed. I had to do that before with my selfbuilt PCs, and it works like a charm.

For me, I also used the Samsung Slate 7 before. And the CC2 is just so much better in most regards, I couldn't go back to it. I rather take the fan noise than the bad digitizer and windows 7 touch&pen expierience of the slate 7, as well as the just not as good screen, and battery life with the Slate 7 wasn't much better for me... maybe twice as much compared with the CC2 in high performance mode, but that is also not stellar.

EDIT:

2 things:

1) I started using the normal SD Card I ordered for my CC2 before I found out that the normal SD Card slot wouldn't "swallow" the full card, thus rendering the card unable to be attached permanently while travelling with the CC2.

No problems at all with the Card. Works like a charm.
    So I can now completly scratch OS or Software problems off the list, seems my woes with the micro SD Card are hardware related. And as I actually already tried 2 cards, and got corruption problems of some sort with both cards, I suspect the micro SD Card reader in my CC2 being bad.
    I will try it with a third card to make sure I didn't just got 2 bad SD Cards...

I am not sure if I should return the CC2... because other than the micro SD Card slot, everything else works like a charm. Even the fan noises and heat in my example seems to be pretty low compared to what others report.
    And then I am not sure if its just my example that got a bad reader, or if it affects other CC2 tablets too....

Also, the normal SD Card I use now is 3 times as fast as the fastest micro SD Card I own, the fastest available is still only half the speed of that full size card, and expensive as hell.
    I expect that the normal SD Card will not live as long as I will have to constantly disconnect it during travelling, but its almost as fast as the internal SSD, which is quite nice.

Did somebody already use the micro SD Card slot in their CC2 tablet? Any problems during its use?

2) Since using the CC2 more for about a week, the fan noise in my example has somehow "settled down"...
    Hard to explain, and yes, it could just be my ear getting used to it, but it seems that the tablet is not using the highest fan setting very often anymore, and is less often "switching gears" between different fan settings... seems to be on the lowest setting 80% of the time now, switching to the mid setting for a minute or so at times. Somehow the fans don't power up and down constantly anymore like they still did 2 weeks ago.
    Of course, my usage of the Machine is 90% drawing of high resolution images in Manga Studio, and 10% surfing the web. Nothing that should tax the machine too much anyway. Still, the fan was going crazy even over that just a week ago.

Ninja-fix by wacom or Microsoft over a windows update? Maybe after some time of use, the system gets "worked in" like good speakers? Just a fluke? My ears getting used to it? Something wrong with my machine? :)

I don't know, but I like it. Now the fan noise is like I expected it: constant, but low...

Anyone else seeing changes like that over time?

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Dex1 likes this.
  5. ryencool

ryencool Pen Pal - Newbie

What is the Standart version? I don't see it on the website? I got my order received Email for my 128gb (standard?) yesterday, hopefully it ships later today. I did overnight shipping so hopefully it gets here Thursday. Im thinking worst case scenario would be Friday. The only thing I have been worried about is the fan noise, people act like it makes the sound of satan constantly. I have had a few loud machines but I just let it not bother me. In the worst of cases ill just throw on my beats headphones and drown it out while I draw. If that kills that batter ill just hook the headphones up to my phone and Pandora or something.

I did run into some extra money this week, I Was going to call and upgrade to the i7, but decided not too. I don't think the performance gain and extra ssd space will do anything for me. If it wasn't an extra grand to get that and the 16gb of ram I would do that, but cant justify it as with tax its the cost of a whole other laptop.

Excited to get it and be able to draw on the plane for a bit for a few short flights I have coming up. If that doesn't work great just being able to travel with it sounds fun :)

6. AvatarSCA

Hi there. I've been following this thread and am currently on page 59. Great discussion so far. However while there has been lots of talk about how loud the fan is, I haven't seen anyone try to take a decibel reading.

In the videos the fans do seem pretty loud, but it's very hard to tell just how loud with no good comparison. Plus the it's hard to tell if the microphone is over exaggerating.

Thanks to everyone who has been posting about the CC2. Really looking forward to getting one (or at least a used CC1).

7. gian-reto

gian-reto Pen Pal - Newbie

that would be what Wacom calls the standart version. Its Value - i3 / 64G, Standart - i5 / 128G, Premium - i7 / 256G, Enhanced - i7 / 512G.

I was in your shoes, couldn't justify spending the additional money for my usecase, also got the 128G and have been happy using it for more than 2 weeks now.
    If your use case is digital drawing without using the most taxing Painter brushes (real watercolors), or very RAM and CPU hungry PS filters, the machine should cope with everything.

Fan noise is louder than with other contemporary tablets and ultrabooks, but not that bad. The weird fan control that constantly spins the fan up and down is, very annoying. That said, my example somehow settled down over the last few days, its now running at a constant speed during normal use.

8. Dennis11

Dennis11 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, so I got my companion premium this morning. I decided to go for the premium because I really need the 200 GB and dont want to fiddle with an sd card all the time and I got it tax free so the extra cost was less.
    Fans: not an issue for me. They were quite loud while downloading some programs and installing windows but right now I am just browsing with about 10 tabs and there is no sound whatsoever. It does go quite high but I think its okay in general. I am sitting on the couch with my family with the TV on and now I can hear the fan slightly but they definitely cant. Its indeed more the fact that it changes so much than that it is actually super high, the changes just makes you aware of it.

A weird thing is though that the machine and canyourunit say the graphics card is the intel 6100 and not 5100 like it says on the website??

Cant quite say anything about battery life, down to 92% now after maybe 25 ish minutes of browsing.

It is exactly what I expected from reading this forum so far, so I am happy with it. Will update if I know more or something weird happens.

9. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

I used my companion 2 (512) while traveling this weekend. First trip with it and I was very happy with the results. I draw with Manga Studio, and I had power set on balanced mode and I never noticed the fan noise. It seems to be calming down with time. Same thing happened with my companion 1. They were both noisy as hell the first month or so, then seemed to settle in and quiet down. One thing I always do is shut down with the power button rather than let it go to sleep. When it goes to sleep the fans cycle up and down and are at their most annoying.

I also tried out the expresskeys remote from my cintiq 27, but decided it really wasn't that useful with the companion in Manga Studio. MS is so easy to use with a stylus that I really didn't need more than the expresskeys on the side of the companion.

I was still on the fence about keeping the companion 2 but after this weekend, I'm definitely keeping it.

10. ggh4

ggh4 Pen Pal - Newbie

Great to hear PGross! could you remind us (me) what kind of battery life you experienced on your travels? Everyone seems to have a different experience so I am curious what battery life your workflow has.

I am still waiting for the damn thing to get back in stock so I can try it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.