Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

1. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

When I first got my Companion 1, I thought the fan was noisy but inoffensive. Over time I don't even notice it. But I do shut it off (at least I think I'm shutting it off--maybe it's just deep hibernation?) when not using it because the fan kicks on and off while it's sleeping. With the flash drive it starts up so quickly it doesn't really matter.

I was intending to upgrade to the Companion 2, but really waiting for a bigger review sampling. Hoping the fan noise is no worse than on the 1.

2. MartinNH

MartinNH Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, great to see an in depth discussion like this on the Cintiq companion 2. I recieved mine, a Premium model, a few days ago. I've had some time to work with it, and I have mixed feelings toward it. Without the fan noise, it would be an awesome product. But the fan noise is there, and its worse than on the first companion. And even with the first one, it was annoying to me. It spins up and down all the time, which constantly makes me aware it's there. If it was at a constant rpm, it would be less intrusive. In the daytime, when theres more background noise, it's not a big problem, in fact I barely notice it then. But when I sit here in the evening, when it's quiet outside and my daughter is sleeping, it's loud. A very unscientific test using my phone, says the DB level is between 30 and 45 which is a lot I think. The device also feels warmer under my arm when I'm drawing than V1 did.

That being said, you can get used to a lot. I got used to the noise of the first generation, so I'm hoping I'll get used to this one as well.

I also noticed a stuck white pixel on my screen which falls under warranty and can get me a replacement unit. But having to wait for a new unit sucks.

Havint the unit lay flat on the stand is a worse experience than V1. When I press down on the side of the device, it shifts noticeably on the stand which makes the device wobble a bit. Not cool. This is not a problem when the stand is raised.

The drawing experience is very good, the device seems noticeable faster in photoshop than V1. Battery life seems a bit worse under heavy load. I'm guessing this is due to the fans working so hard, and the increased resolution.

Cintiq mode works great with my workstation which is a PC. Haven't tried it on a mac. The fans are less aggressive in Cintiq slave mode luckily.

The increased resolution of the screen is nice. The new carry bag is much more premium than the old one. The speakers are lightyears ahead of the old ones. I like the new SD card slot and the added express keys. They seem to have a better tactile feel to them.. easier to press than V1's. Also, the device is slimmed down a little and feel less bulky than V1.

If it wasn't for that damned fan noise I would be one happy camper. I hope Wacom finds a better solution for cooling in future revisions, because with such a premium product, something like this means a lot.

Attached Files:

GFXmonkey and darkmagistric like this.
  3. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm really hoping it can be fixed with software updates. The noise at least. My i5 is shipping, so I'll add my experience when it gets here.

GFXmonkey likes this.
  4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Been playing with mine for about an hour. Really nice premium product. I'm in a noisy office so fan noise isn't bothering me. The companion is pretty warm in my lap. And it's surprisingly heavy. Luggable vs. portable. Testing Cintiq features will have to wait until later.

GFXmonkey and Zeelobby like this.
  5. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Glad to hear! Mine is somewhere stuck in a ditch I guess. It said dispatched again from memphis over 24 hours ago, then no more shipping updates, only updates telling me about bad weather conditions and delays. This is getting pretty frustrating. Let me know what you think.

6. GFXmonkey

GFXmonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

Are there any settings in the bios to adjust the thermal settings? Also, does anyone know if the non-broadwell versions support VT-x extensions for running virtual machines?

7. MartinNH

MartinNH Pen Pal - Newbie

I checked the Bios settings (turn the unit on while holding volume up), and there weren't any settings regarding cooling to play with.

GFXmonkey likes this.
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Thanks for your in depth thoughts on the product so far! These all sound like really good things to me, aside from the expected noise increase from CC1. I say expected and highlighted some of your sentences since they all speak to the compromise involved with making a more powerful machine in a slimmer form.
    Essentially, Wacom listened to us. They heard people say "we want more power!" -- "we want slimmer!" , and they delivered --amazingly!
    But with a higher voltage CPU comes less battery life, and with a slimmer unit plus more power hungry parts packed inside, comes higher thermals. We can't have it all. If we want a silent device we have to sacrifice power to keep thermals in a balanced state that doesn't run the fans constantly. And we have too many of those anemic machines available these days that aren't ideal for power hungry artists.
    The fact the fans kick up a lot means that Wacom probably did not put a custom thermal cap on the CPU like some manufacturers will do, hampering the performance when you need it.
    Perhaps they could have used higher quality fans with more noise-deadening blades or something, but most likely its just that its working hard to cool a more powerful unit, which thrills me.

A solution would be for users to use throttlestop to create 2 power plans: one that sips voltage and limits CPU performance for when your CC2 is just surfing and sitting... another plan that allows it to go full blast for when you need it and fans will rage.

With that said, have you tried making custom plans within windows power settings to see if there is a nice happy medium you can find for your needs to keep the fan a little quieter?

9. GFXmonkey

GFXmonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

Bummer... hopefully they find a way to tune it more in a future bios update...

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Found another semi-review on Wacom Europe's E-store. It was in German, so I google translated it. No idea which model the user purchased, and I do have to take a slight pause at the idea of purchasing it for any other purpose beyond a creative drawing tool, but its still interesting.

Not intended for the business sector ...

The below rating refers to the view to use as a business tablet and not as creative drawing tool !

Pro:
    - Solid workmanship
    - Powerful device
    - Wacom Pro- pin
    - Can also be used as a pure pen display on the PC
    - Many connections
    - Solid position on the table : Very good for pen use
    - Starts very quickly
    - Bag of gummy bears

Cons:
    - Font appear blurry on your screen : blurred representation
    - Fan runs continuously and rotates under load highly annoying !
    - It is heavy
    - Battery life only 4 hours .
    Wacom pen will need an unusual amount of pressure on the screen until a line is drawn -
    - Pin jumps in the corners ( old problem )
    - Stand is cumbersome to install on the Tablet
    - Pin must be worn in case: No holder on the tablet
    - Very large unit for 13 inch Screen: Thick frame looks outdated
    - No WAN module

So another complaint about the fan. What troubles me most is that down the board the Fans will just run at the same (high & loud) speed no matter what. I'm curious if throttlestop and power saving plans would have any effect on the fans.