Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trevor Dennis

Trevor Dennis Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, thanks for that. It's half past midnight here, so I'll get on it first thing tomorrow. It makes a change to be feeling hopeful about the CC2. :)

2. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes I fully agree with this, im mostly disapointed with the choice of processors. Full power processors eat up battery and rev fans while not showing much performance difference. I really wish they had thought out that aspect of the CC2. They should have kept the full power processors for the higher end models. I would even consider the i3 version at this point.

3. Lucidkizm

Lucidkizm Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all!
    I have been following this particular post since it was in the early 20 odd pages and must say it has kept me interested in the CC2!! I just received my i7 256 version and I am very impressed. I was expecting something close to a chainsaw sound from the fans based off everyone elses opinion on here but they aren't even as loud as my laptop gets sometimes lol There was a tiny bit of brush latency but after turning off open gl there is literally nothing. It is incredible to feel. I was using a Wacom bamboo fun for the past 3 years so to me this is upgrade is absolutely mind blowing! The sensitivity is insane and the overall feel is impressive. Only took an hour or so to get everything running and set up, Haven't tried anything huge on it but I doubt it will have any issues with what I do currently.

4. ggh4

ggh4 Pen Pal - Newbie

Every time I am ready to purchase a companion, these forums scare me away! Some one give me positive info haha. Is it worth it or not? Which model seems to be the most reliable in terms of battery and noise (other than the i3)? I have been reading every comment but there is always one that contradicts another.

5. Trevor Dennis

Trevor Dennis Pen Pal - Newbie

Ron, just to say a HUGE thanks again for this. At the moment I have unistalled a number of pointing devices, like Contour Shuttle, and additional keyboard, plus Lazy Nezumi Pro, and I have run CCleaner. I left Logitech Setpoint and the Wacom divers untouched though.

And guess what? The CC2 is running smooth as silk. Heck, it even does flick panning! Rotate Canvas is also working nicely. At the moment Touch is not working at all, and I have tried both Windows and Wacom Gestures, but I suspect I'll sort that out, and even if I don't, it is not a big problem when using it connected to the desktop.

So now I can reinstall things one at a time, and hope that it was not Lazy Nezumi causing the problem, because I am addicted to its smooth flowing lines, and I feel bad bothering Guillaume as he is always so busy.

ron2k_1 and Dex1 like this.
  6. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a CC1 512 and the enhanced CC2, and I haven't totally decided whether I'm keeping the 2 over the 1 or not. It's just an issue of the fan noise for me. If fan noise doesn't bother you, then go for the 2 for sure. With my CC1 the fan noise was annoying at first and one of the main things people complained about (until the charging problem), but the fan noise settled down after a while, and now it's very quiet. I'm hoping the same happens with the CC2. The most annoying part of the noise is when it cycles up and down with every change in the processor. When I'm just drawing in Manga Studio and it stays at the low speed it's totally ok.

I'd recommend you get one and try it for the 30 day full return period. It's really subjective as to whether it's bothersome or not.

7. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

I did extensive benchmarking all last night with the TDP bios settings. you might want to give this a try.

go into bios and under CPU options select TDPdown. This lowers the TDP from 28 to 23 watts. not much difference in benchmark scores. also select energy efficient under the performance/watt section. it lowers the benchmark scores a tiny bit more, but should lower heat levels also. i only had a little time today to draw, but with the same program and canvas size its seemed quieter. I will post more feedback when i test it out more.

from wikipedia:
    TDP down – when a cooler or quieter mode of operation is desired, this mode specifies a lower TDP and lower guaranteed frequency versus the nominal mode.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  8. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

ya man, i just dont understand why a fast processor isnt paired with a bigger battery, or a profile that turns down the CPU more. MBP's have bigger batteries to compensate for the extra power.

i think ill eventually get a profile that will let me sketch for a reasonable time on the CC2 enhanced, but its annoying i have to work so hard to figure it out. lol, early adopter issues.

tabletartist4d and darkmagistric like this.
  9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree the CC2 should have had a higher capacity battery. What Wacom did was reverse. The CC2 battery is only 50W, where as the original CC1 had a 65W and the more expensive of the two Hybrid's had a 74w. In using a more powerful CPU line for the CC2, they should have retained the 74w battery down the line.

Decreasing the battery to a 50W would have made more sense if they opted for a 15w ULV Haswell. Where as Haswell in general has better power management from Ivy Bridge, Wacom grossly over estimated the power savings gained from Haswell in lieu for the smaller battery.

I could also chaulk the battery up to Wacom's insistence that users wanted the CC to be thinner...which I find off.

Even if you did make it thinner....its got the footprint of a 15 inch laptop....making it thinner wouldn't really help with the portability since its still a big tablet to schelp around. For a device of this size, extra thickness and weight would be more then acceptable for prolonged battery life.

10. velkidormi

velkidormi Pen Pal - Newbie

Wacom overnighted my CC2 and upgraded me to the 512 after having lost my order and having me wait two months and change... which was really nice and unexpected!! After using my machine for a couple days now, I have to say the fan noise volume itself doesn't bother me at all, the only thing I find annoying about it is the fact that it is constantly powering up and down. I honestly wouldn't be as bothered if it was on constant high power. So far I've only been working in Paint Tool SAI, 3k square at 600dpi max, just a couple layers of lines, and browsing the net. I took it drawing at a cafe for 2-3 hours, in balanced mode, couldn't hear fans, and when I packed up it still said I had a little over 2 hours remaining. I doubt I will ever be anywhere for more than 3 hours without access to an outlet. I'll be excited to take it to life drawing class, luckily they always have music playing so I am sure no one will be bothered by the fans.
    Overall my very fresh opinion is I'm really happy with this thing. I still need to install After Effects and try out some hefty projects on it!! So far the only thing really upsetting me is the stand connection points... I've already managed to bend the metal back piece on my device :I
    And I need to find a daily carry bag to fit this thing!

Last edited: May 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.