Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dex1

Dex1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking forward to it and for your thoughts on the machine. Thanks.

2. carry86

carry86 Pen Pal - Newbie

i should receive mine tomorrow ! :D:D:D

Dex1 likes this.
  3. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

I received my enhanced CC2 yesterday and have been trying it out. It's a nice upgrade from the CC1 top end version, but the fan noise is definitely greater than on the CC1. I wouldn't say it's annoying, but it's definitely noticeable. And on higher speeds there's a secondary whine beneath the rushing air noise that sounds a it like someone vacuuming a couple rooms away, or like the neighbors running a saw in their backyard. Again, just on the edge of annoying.

It runs everything faster than the CC1. I ran the PCMark 7 test and got a score of 5980, but it didn't recognize the graphics card, so I don't know if that is a factor in the score. I tried to download PCMark 8 but the files won't extract properly and I don't have time to figure out an alternate method.

In cintiq mode with mac, Images looked ok, but there's a bad halo around text that makes it all look similar to when I tried to run a monitor through usb years ago. It also blinks out every few minutes like the old usb driver did.

1080p was the top resolution I could get with a mini display to hdmi adapter I had, but I ordered a newer active adapter that allows higher res. I have a windows partition with Boot Camp on my iMac, and I tried it in cintiq mode with 8.1, and the image was great. In windows I could only get 2 monitors detected. In mac, I was able to use all 3 of my monitors (iMac, cintiq 27, and CC2). No blankets in windows.

I don't have a windows version of photoshop so I can't let you know how that works but Manga Studio ran great, I got about the same lag with a big brush as I do on my high end iMac. Network connection is way faster than CC1 and everything runs noticeably faster. This could definitely be used as a desktop connected to another monitor or cintiq.

All in all, I'm mixed on whether it's a needed upgrade for me from my CC1, which now seems silent in comparison. If the fans were equal, I'd take the 2 in a heartbeat. But my processor needs aren't so demanding that I need the greater power of the CC2. Will use it for a couple weeks before deciding.

I honestly can't see any difference between the resolution go the CC1 and CC2. Thought that would be more apparent, but it's a meaningless upgrade. The increased number and better design of the expresskeys, power button and additional ports are great improvements.

At least now I can send back my CC1 to get the failing power port repaired and use the CC2 until it comes back!

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thank you for running that benchmark. Your score is very much what I was expecting.

My Haswell i5 CC2 scored a 4998 in the PCMark7 bench. (the lower voltage Pro3 got a 4992 for comparison sake)

The core I generations; Arrandale, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, I’ve noticed they initially tended to get a 1000-ish increase in score from the last gen to the next, Except for Ivy Bridge which had a larger performance gap, (but Haswell was then a far lesser gap). But your Broadwell i7 scoring a 5980 is very much on cue with the original trend.

I wouldn’t bother with PC Mark 8, I prefer Mark 7. But that’s primarily a CPU test, could you also please run the 3D Mark Benchmark? I’ve very curious to see the performance the Iris 6100 would give.

Here’s a graph I made comparing the 3D mark scores on a variety of my systems.

[​IMG]

Pixelated Traveler likes this.
  5. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

CC2 Enhanced 512:
    3d mark:
    firestrike: 1027
    skydiver: 3855
    cloudgate: 6537
    icestorm: 58060

i got less in pcmark7 5912
    but these things vary a bit ive noticed

cc1
    firestrike: 548
    skydiver: 1876
    cloudgate: 4310
    icestorm: 47487

i just benched my cc1 and cc2 side by side. they are the same noise levels while benchmarking. i have not used it for art yet, so im not sure if the cc2 ramps up faster (im guessing it will)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  6. nataku

nataku Pen Pal - Newbie

Those improvements in scores are very nice. Can't wait to get mine.

As for the fan noise, PGross, have you considered trying to install Windows 10 on it? Sanjiro said that when he upgraded to Windows 10, fan noise noticeably decreased. You can upgrade for free too.

7. Brian123

Brian123 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just received shipping/tracking notice for my CC2 512gb order, which was placed yesterday. Should be here Friday thanks to 2-day Air.

Also, Wacom sent out an April newsletter today announcing the i7 512gb is in stock this week and going fast. The email featured an "Add to Cart" button. Some folks are going to be upset since its been out of stock all day. But it has fluctuated the last 2 days, so check often.

Disappointing to hear fan noise hasn't been improved or that is not at least on par with the CC1. I imagine it's going to be loud no matter what with heavy use, but I hope it's more stable and not like those reports where simply touching the pen will ramp it up a level.

The performance and GPU do look good so far.

8. Axiom

Axiom Pen Pal - Newbie

Someone already ran the tests? fantastic. XD I didn't have the time today to do it.

I will say that I am pleased with the device. I do not notice the fan noise at all. But the area I've been using the CC2 in isn't a quiet one in terms of fan noise. (ceiling fan, floor fan, and pc) I also usually have music or podcasts playing.

Something I do want to say is in regards to accessories for the CC2. I would recommend you do not buy wacom's bluetooth keyboard and instead get the logitech k810. This thing is absolutely fantastic. I was worried it would be too small, but the keys are spaced out just like a normal keyboard and it feels good to type on.
    You can also have it paired with three devices at once and switch between them with the press of a button. Also, unlike wacom's keyboard, this one has a delete key, which was a must for me.

BATTERY LIFE. Obviously not as good as I know ppl would like. It seems like I get about 2 hrs out of it on high performance while working. But, I bought this thing knowing I would be using it near outlets.

9. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

I upgraded to Windows 10 but the noise is the same. Everything seems to run fine in 10 but if it's not an improvement with the fan in the next few days, I'll try to reinstall 8.1. Anyone know how to do a clean install onto the companion?

10. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

been playing with mine a little bit. the fans seems to ramp up quicker in high performance mode, but only slightly quicker than the cc1. the cool thing is, on powersaver, it paints very well and the fans have not spooled up.

i ran a torture test with cpu,gpu, and screen at 100 percent and it lasted an roughly an hour on high performance. lol. im really skeptical windows 10 will make any difference since power managment is in the bios. but, i could be wrong. maybe it is significantly more efficient.

but, the good new is, for everything except 3d modeling, i think i can run on power save mode because its so fast. im going to do more benchmarking at different power levels, and play with the bios settings at some point- to get empirical evidence.

all of this info is seat of the paints, i have not had much time due to school homework- so take it with a grain of salt for now.

velkidormi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.