Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah the Fan noise seems to be a constant issue down the board. But most everyone who is posting seems to have the Premium i7 Model
    The i3 model has a lower TDP
    The i5 should generate a bit less heat then the i7
    And the Enhanced i7 is rocking Broadwell
    I'm very curious to see if the Fan Noise is consistent with the other models
    And regarding Cintiq Mode, at least the WacomEu Forum member MartinNH seems to be having no problems with Cintiq Connect mode attached to his PC. Perhaps the display quality issue is Mac only....at which case its a safe bet its fixable by drivers.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I intend to use the Companion 2 primarily as a Tablet PC since I already have a good working 21ux that still works for home usage. Cintiq Mode is more of a bonus for me then anything. That's partially why I want the higher spec-ed Enhanced edition so it would have the longest life span. And being able to use it as a backup Cintiq would give me more ease if my 21ux ever broke.
    And once more users start chiming in...if the i5 model has better heat control....I may cave and get that one. Right now my mobile art needs are being met between The Baytrail Atoms in the TPT10, Asus Note 8, and the ULV Haswell i5 in the Pro 3......so even the i5 Companion 2 should be more then up to my tasks.

3. GFXmonkey

GFXmonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

My initial thought of the issue with the cintiq capture mode on a Mac with HDMI is that unless the device supports HDMI 1.4 or higher you would only be able to support 1080p, but the native res is 2560x1440, so perhaps that is the source of the artifacts? I'm curious to hear more hands on experiences with this device as I might be in the market for a new device sooner than I expected.

darkmagistric and balistic like this.
  4. balistic

balistic wacom jock

That would explain it. Good thinking.

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My Companion 2 is still stuck in Tennessee. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Pretty disheartening to hear about the fan noise, but maybe there's a possibility it will be worked out in a firmware update. I remember the Vaio Flip 15a having a similar problem on release.

Can't wait to read more reviews and hear how things develop since I've been planning to get the Enhanced CC2 ever since it was revealed the Vaio Z Canvas won't be coming until May, with zero evidence that it will leave Japan.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Honestly, if fan noise is the worst problem the CC2 has when the dust settles I would consider that a win. It most likely means one of the following things:
    -maybe they chose cheap fans
    -they aren't throttling the device much, so the fan has to do a lot of work (I prefer noise to hindered performance any day)
    -the fan settings in the BIOS will require some tweaking and a BIOS update will fix it.

Has anyone benched the CC2 yet? I wanna know how much thermals are intervening with performance or if the noisy fan is effective. I would trade performance for noise any day. That's what headphones and Songza is for!

8. surfaceproartist

The firmware update helped, but the Flip is still the loudest device I've purchased since starting the blog.

9. steph___

steph___ Pen Pal - Newbie

you may be right. but I wouldn't ever trust a I read from a single person on the internet,
    you need at least a few answers to make your mind or someone you already know as you never know who is writing. of course I speak for my review as well.
    thing is the person can be either over excited with the new product and barely tested it, or is not picky at all due to lack of experience.
    I have been a graphic artist for 20 years (professional for 12) and am very sensitive to how my work is displayed. Also the issue was actually very obvious, clearly not a matter of nitpicking but I can imagine an inexperienced eye might say that crispness is just there because of the high resolution, to me it clearly isn't.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    stoneseeker likes this.
  10. surfaceproartist

My Companion 2 is back on track to arrive today so I'll definitely try to corroborate @steph___ 's findings on Windows immediately (after unboxing pics).

stoneseeker likes this.