Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adaltis

Adaltis Pen Pal - Newbie

Was waiting for the 512 and saw it release at 1am yesterday, but it said it was sold out. Somehow it became available again during the day? Gaaah! Anyone know or have a decent guess of how long it will take for a restock? Or maybe if it's purchasable through another site?

2. Massimiliano1276

Massimiliano1276 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone I am Italian and my english is not ' perfect (I use the google translator ) so I ask you to forgive my mistakes , I follow very carefully this fantastic post on the companion 2 .
    I have a question to ask : is there a usb wireless that recognizes the pen and the touch of the companion 2 ?
    It must be something like this but with drivers for Windows 8, on google there are but not for windows 8
    The connection I want to do and ' this : desktop computer away connected to the transmitter hdmi companion 2 , so the companion 2 becomes your desktop monitor ( functionality cintiq ) and know how to do this , I miss understand where to find a usb wireless driver with windows 8 so as to control the companion 2 with touch and pen desktop away .
    How can I accomplish this?

3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Well, I have no clue what's the generation or type between the two, but I can say there's an enormous difference between the i7 of the first gen Cintiq Companion and the i5 of the Surface Pro 3. In favor of the Companion obviously.

4. nataku

nataku Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, this is going to replace my desktop as a design machine, considering my intuos4 is starting to die and my graphic card is wonky on my desktop these days.

In your case, would it not have been better to get the latest non-companion cintiqs to hook up? unless you already have one.
    I just want a device to draw on screen instead of the intuos style tablet.

5. gian-reto

gian-reto Pen Pal - Newbie

Thats the point, I already own a perfectly fine Cintiq 24HD hooked up to my workstation that will most probably not be replaced until it dies (hopefully not for a long while still)... the 27QHD looks great, but I don't see it as a big upgrade over the 24HD, especially as I cheaped out on the GPU (well, its a gamer GPU instead of a pro one) and cannot really use a 10bit screen at this point.

What I am looking for is a mobile workstation for drawing and sketching without being tethered to my desk... nothing against my home studio / office, but sometimes it would be nice to get out of it after some hours of nonstop work... you know, sit in the garden and enjoy the sun, or cuddle on the sofa.
    The cintiq companion 2 sound like it could give me the opportunity to do just that, while still being able to work on SOMETHING.

I might not want to juggle big 3D sculpting files on the CC2, or run world machine or any other CPU / GPU intensive task on it. But having the ability to start a numbercrunching job on my workstation, while then enjoying a drink in the garden while doing some concept sketches sound like a good idea to me.

Also, being able to do concept sketching in my holidays has proven to be a good idea. I often get good ideas while travelling, and my current, aging Samsung Slate 7 is barely able to keep up. It does the job, if I have enough patience, but its not fun, that is why it is not really used at home.

I don't think I could replace my current workstation with even the enhanced version of the CC2... I don't max out my current hardware often, but with intensive sculpting tasks I do need a good chunk of it. Any mobile hardware couldn't handle it, CC2 is no exception here.

Well, if you compared it to the CC2, that would have been hardly surprising...

Comparison between the i5 in the standard CC2 and the i5 in the Surface Pro 3: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4300U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4258U

1.9 vs 2.4 GHz normal frequency... less cache, but also less TDP. Which in turn explains why the Surface Pro 3 can last much longer on a single charge.

The i7 of the first gen CC is on the other hand not much faster than the i5 of the Surface Pro 3: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3517U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4300U

If there is such a huge gap in performance, it must come from other things. Maybe slower SSD speeds? Maybe a workload that favours cache size? Better cooling in the first gen CC (which means the CPU will throttle speed less)?
    My be is on the last issue. Seems that many mobile devices are only utilizing part of their CPUs power because of subpar cooling. With all the complaints about fan noise in the CC only, I guess Wacom did it right, at least from the viewpoint of getting max perfomance from the used CPU.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

In terms of handling brushes they are similar, the i7 being just slightly better.
    Touch input (the classic pan/zoom/rotate) is a lot more fluid and fast on the CC, while still being plenty acceptable on the Surface.
    The real difference then come in the long run: the i5 of the Surface throttle a lot, one second your stroke is very fluid and the next one it struggles. All still perfectly usable mind me, I'm in love with this little machine, but the CC on the contrary never misses a beat and the performance stays always the same during a session of work. ;)
    Battery life while working in Photoshop is similar: I get 2.5-3 hours on the CC balanced mode and 3-3.5 on the Surface, though I suspect others may get more since I installed the Intel video drivers.

7. nataku

nataku Pen Pal - Newbie

Right, it all depends on what you want to do. If I already had a cintiq, I'd probably just get a SP3 for mobile sketching and concepting. But since I'd like to be able to use the CC2 for most of my artwork (2D stuff, not 3D anyways), I'd like it beefed up as much as possible to last as long as possible.

ugh can't wait....anyone got a 'shipped out' confirmation yet?

8. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

Wacom has the slowest order fulfillment of anywhere I've ever bought from. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for your Companion 2 to ship.

9. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

LOL, and I was just thinking of asking if any of you had received your 512gb CC2s yet. Dying to hear about fan noise and battery life.

10. nataku

nataku Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my shipping confirmation!

Estimated to arrive in a week...which isn't bad considering I'm in Hawaii.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.