Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gian-reto

gian-reto Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I think you make the power difference between the different CC2 models look like more than it really is... let me explain:

I am really interested in the CC2 so I took the time to really compare the different models. The outcome of that comparison was that from where I stand (will be using the tablet mainly for digital painting, maybe some 3D work though I have powerful workstations for that, so mostly on-the-go and sitting-in-the-garden phtoshop and manga studio work), the standart version is the most sane CC2 version to choose.

Why? Lets list the reasons:

1) CPU Power
    A simple power comparison shows that there is quite a power gap between the i3 and i5 CPU, but the power gap between the i5 and i7 CPUs is really not that big.

The premium versions i7 is about 5-10% faster than the i5 in the standart model. Both are 2 core CPUs with Hyperthreading, the i7 is just slightly higher clocked and has 4 instead of 3 MB of cache... it adds up to about 5-10% more power, and benchmarks support that.

The newer i7 in the Enhanced version now is about 20-25% faster than the i5 in the standart model, and with the newer architecture MIGHT bring additional things to the table (altough battery improvements are not really that impressive, I will explain below).

The i3 in the value model is much slower than the i5 in the standart model, like 30-40% less power... its the only model that SHOULD get you better battery life though, as the CPU has a lower TDP, thus on average sucking less juice out of the battery.

2) RAM
    Standart and Premium both have 8G.... while 16G are nice to have, 8G should be fine for normal usage. 4G would be too little for my taste, so clearly the value model was out of the question just because of that.

3) iGPU (graphics cores of the CPU)
    Both the Standart and Premium version have the same iGPU, and AFAIK with the same speed. The newer i7 in the enhanced model has a better iGPU model, though the improvements were not that impressive as far as I remember, and of course, no intel iGPU so far is a match for even a midrange dedicated GPU. Enough to get usable Framerates in ZBrush or other modelling apps, not enough to play modern games on high settings.

The i3 iGPU was a little slower as far as I remember...

4)Battery life
    If you want to get the best battery life out of the CC2, the i3 variant, as long as the battery is the same (AFAIK it is) will be your best bet. TDP of the i3 is much lower than the other CPUs... not halved, mind you, still, could be enough to net you 10-20% additional run time (while giving you about half the power of the i7 variant, mind you).

The newer i7 in the enhanced version seems to have a special energy saving mode, that clocks down the CPU to bring down battery consumption. As far as I remember, its power would sink below i5 levels while netting you the quoted 20% saving in energy consumption. That might be great when you don't need all that power, but then you can have a low power version sucking less power off the battery for 1000$ less by getting the value variant.

So when it comes down to it, the only REAL difference between the standard and premium variants are doubled SSD size, 5-10% more CPU power and Windows Pro instead of the standard edition.
    And let me tell you, if you don't work in a big corporation you usually don't need the Win Pro features... and with Win 10, these features might be free in the upgrade, who knows?

If money would be no concern, I would of course just take the enhanced edition, which certainly is most future proof of the bunch... not to mention most powerful, if only by some %. But if you are looking for bang-for-the-bucks like me, the standard variant sound like the winner here.

Of course there goes a lot of theorycrafting into my assesment above, and if you are lookign for precise numbers, I don't have them anymore... I just memorized the rough differences. And I guessed anyone interested enough in the exact number would look them up and compare them themselves. And of course, theoretical speeds have little to do with actually using the device. It could be that the additional 5-10% speed are exactly what you need to prevent stuttering in a certain app, or to make the difference between getting a coffe while a filter in PS runs, or also beeing able to roll a cig to go smoking after you started the next filter :p
    Just don't expect devices that are theoretically 5% faster or slower to be worlds apart.... they are not.

2. nataku

nataku Pen Pal - Newbie

Well up to you, sometimes power % isn't the only factor when comparing different processors. I've had people swear by the i7 over the i5 in performaces in certain programs. Then again, I've heard complete opposite as well.

By the way guys, THE ENHANCED VERSION IS RELEASED FOR THE US STORE!

its sold out now ! good thing i got mine ;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  3. JEFFREY

JEFFREY Pen Pal - Newbie

Just placed my order for CC2 512GB It is finally available to order!!

4. Axiom

Axiom Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow it sold out already? haha. Glad I ordered mine few hrs ago.

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Look forward to your review of the fans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Dex1

Dex1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking forward to the reviews of the Enhanced 512!!

7. nataku

nataku Pen Pal - Newbie

it sold out but now its available again...hmm

anyways grab it while you can!

8. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

I was going to wait, and then figured they'll be sold out for months and I'll regret it, so I ordered one. Now I see they are out of stock again. Once I see how I like the new one, I guess I'll have to sell the old one.

9. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

shoot i was in school all day and its sold out now.

10. gian-reto

gian-reto Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, of course I made the whole complex story look very simple, but fact is, the mobile i5 and i7 CPUs are pretty close in power.

The people who saw good increases in power when comparing i5s to i7s where most probably comparing mainstream desktop i5 and i7 processors (where the top i7 most of the time not only has a small speed bump, but also HT enabled vs no Hyperthreading on the desktop i5s... 8 against 4 threads in heavely multithreaded workloads that do lots of IO and other waits can speed up things a lot!) or mainstream desktop i5 processors against enthusiast i7 (which are basically relabelled Xeons and come with 6 and 8 core variants, hyperthreading and up to 150 Watt TDPs!)...

The mobile variants of the Intel CPUs are much more similar, at least the core family.... 2 cores, 4 threads. The only difference is speed and cache. Apart from the iGPU, which in this case is the same (Apart from the newer generation i7 and the i3). And seeing how the i5 and i7 variants are very close both in speed and cache size, there is no way to see big differences in use (apart from some exotic scenarios)

But hey, I am by no means saying the enhanced version is a bad choice at all. On contrary... its always good to get the latest CPU generation, even if the current generation only brings evolutionary upgrades over the last one, the large SSD is nice for people that do not want to use SD cards for saving their data, and you never can have too much RAM (I have 24G in my workstation and 16G in my gaming Rig... seldom max it out, but RAM was cheap when I built these PCs, and rather have too much lying around than ever have my machine bog down because of paging).

That is why, if I could justify the price, I might also get the enhaned version.
    But seeing my use case, and already owning a powerful workstation for heavy workloads with a cintiq attached, I can hardly justify throwing 2,5k$ at wacom for a machine that is still 3-4 times weaker than my 3 years old workstation, mobile or not.
    1,6k$ for an almost as fast machine, that has just about enough disk space if an SD card is inserted and has ample memory for normal workloads sounds like the sweetspot for me.
    Paying 50% more for 25% more CPU power, memory and disk space I will not need and a potential 20% better stamina, IF I drop down the CPU power to i5 levels again just sounds hard to swallow for me... call me cheap, but I am not buying this as my sole machine, and I have other uses for the cash

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.