Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Which model did you order?

I was so torn between the Standard i5 or the Enhanced i7......but hearing all this has certainly made it easier to hold out for the Enhanced...if only to see all the reviews......I'm really hoping these issues can be remedied by driver/firmware updates.....

2. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

I ordered the i5 version. Was going to order the lowest end model (which im glad they offer) but saw the few extra hundred worth it for double the ram, better processor and better graphics card. I couldnt see the 400 extra worth it for the next model up as it has the same ram, same graphics and almost the same processor. Dying to get it, as I have two pretty big projects planned for it, was expected friday but its been delayed the past 24 hours, getting pretty impatient. I will let you guys know what I think about it and do a full review when i finally get it.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That was exactly my rationale for ordering the i5, @tabletartist4d. Mine was due to arrive Thursday as well, but mine also got held up in Memphis.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

and on the reverse end....apparently the i3 model doesn't even come with the Adjustable Stand or the Soft Case...making the extra $300 for the i5 seem like the best choice. But I'm so tempted by that damned Broadwell model

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  5. tabletartist4d

Good to know im not the only one in this boat. Its pretty frustrating they waited until the last minute to ship it (5 days) and now its stuck in a snow storm. Ripping my hair out, was hoping to have it by this weekend to have some time to spend with it.
    I agree that broadwell model is damn sexy! espeically the 16gb of ram it was super tempting to me but i figured I would get a maxed out laptop or desktop that I can upgrade to 32 gb of ram at some point and just want something sufficient to travel with.

darkmagistric likes this.
  6. tabletartist4d

Yippie, we have movement again. It says it package has left TN about 20 mins ago. Hopefully this time it makes it past the blizzard and has a fighting chance to arrive on time if not a day late.

darkmagistric likes this.
  7. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting point - I imagine that if the difference between the i5 and i7 is merely a slight increase in clock speed, it would not translate to a noticeable difference in performance and I assume the i5 is still capable of running Photoshop smoothly, especially with iris graphics. Even better if the i5 doesn't suffer from as much fan noise.

Here's another consideration however; the i5 model has a 128GB while the i7 model has 256GB. I don't know how much SSD technology has progressed lately, but I remember reading about how they can become noticeably slower as they get past being around half full. If that's true then it could be a strong argument for the i7 model, right?

8. tabletartist4d

Yeah that could be an argument for the i7 but I opened my last one and would be comfortable with upgrading the SSD myself in the future, for the money saved you could get a super fast 512 or more when its time to upgrade.

9. steph___

steph___ Pen Pal - Newbie

actually I wouldn't say he hasgn't got the problem as he says it is super tiring, interestingly he speaks about the cintiq mode and not the companion (win8) mode which also is very hires, but with a much better image.
    I'll let you investigate with him if you like, I am now out of the discussion as I honestly am very pissed of my experience and don't want to hear about that tablet anymore.

also I hate to bring bad news again :) but apprently on wacom forum some people have had the same experience as me :
    http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21767
    also http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21748

I'll also add my contribution to that thread so it may be usefull to some other folks

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  10. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

I hadn't considered that. This thread is definitely pushing me toward the i5 model (assuming these 'cintiq mode' issues are resolved). 128gb might just be enough, after all does anyone really intend to use their CC as an outright laptop replacement?

(I'm also waiting with keen interest to see how the upcoming ThinkPad Yogas perform)