Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It almost sounds like they're using Windows software to do the external capture and it may be having trouble rendering the resolution/ratio that the Mac is providing via HDMI. I had really hoped when in Cintiq mode, windows had not turned on at all... I'll wait for more reviews, but I'm almost tempted to consider purchasing a Cintiq 13HD if that's the case.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

...this is starting to sound worrying.

I could see Wacom still f-ing up the Tablet PC part since they are still relatively new with that.....but the Cintiq Mode they should have down no prob....that's the one area where they have do alot of experience in. It troubles me greatly to hear of these issues.

Before you return it Steph....just to help better rule out other possibilities....Did you still have the normal 13HD drivers installed when you installed the drivers for the Companion 2? Sometimes Drivers could cause interference with each other, perhaps the 13HD driver being installed concurrently is causing the video problem?

Also, your MacBook....is it one of the newer Retina Displays or is it the older non-retina 13? Perhaps if it's the non retina, the difference in resolution output to the Companion 2 is to blame for the quality decrease. By chance would you have any other other Macs or PCs you could try pairing it with?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. steph___

steph___ Pen Pal - Newbie

I guess the sound must be very similar to the companion 1 as a reference then, it seems like they use the same fans.
    It doesn't sound like the fans are not working as they should or overactive, these are just noisy fans. if you already changed fans on a pc to reduce its noise you know what I mean, quality fans make a HUGE difference at same rotation speed.

darkmagistric > actually on OSX you can't uninstall a driver, so yes I have both cintiq13 and companion drivers installed but I doubt that is the issue. the macbook is a retina one 2013 model I guess.
    I will bring the tablet to work today before I send it back so I can test it on a macpro with an hdmi out, we'll see.

4. steph___

ok so I tried it on the mac pro, it is exactly the same, awfuly compressed image.
    latest drivers were installed on the mac and on the companion windows side.
    I can't tell if this is osx related but I highly doubt it is, really looks like very bad signal compression issue on the tablet side, so I doubt a pc would do any better with it.

what a stupid move from wacom, their clients are graphic artist how could they possibly imagine people wouldn't bother. It seems they heard people want the windows companion to be used on an external computer, so they just thought that would be the right way to get more sales and did it, no matter how the quality would be.
    That is so disappointing from a company especially known for the high quality of their products.
    I now have to buy back a cintiq 13HD... luckily wacom did at least take in charge the return shipping cost but I still lost 200€ in the process. hope my quick review could then save someone else some money.

So as a conclusion, let me say if you don't mind a little fan noise and if you don't intend to plug the machine on an external computer, this is still an fantastic product, it has been a blast to sketch on this thing on the couch, it feels absolutely fantastic and I especially think the resolution/form ratio is ideal.
    Now if those two issues I encountered are important to you this is a crappy product, it is nowhere near the quality of the cintiq13HD plugged on a computer and those fans turned to get excited a little too often to my taste.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  5. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is there any Windows device you could plug it into? That would at least narrow down as to whether the hardware is the issue or whether it's software and osx specific. If it is software specific I could only imagine theyd release an update to resolve the issue

6. steph___

sorry I don't have access to any pc.
    It is indeed most probably due to software failure, so I imagine a software update could fix it, unless the capture relies on a chipset. I have no idea how these things work but video capture cards can get very expensive so it might rely on a hardware chipset, I can't tell.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In the return process, have you discussed with Wacom the Fan/Capture issues? At least with the capture problem, I can't imagine Wacom could offer any advice or suggestion beyond a potential future software or firmware update. At least if they would admit to that it could leave leave at least a glimmer of Hope. Sorry if this feel like we're grasping for straws......but the biggest selling point of the Companion 2 is the Cintiq Connect mode....the omission of that is the primary reason why I skipped the original. But if it's Subpar on the Companion 2, there are going to be a lot of unhappy campers on this board.

8. steph___

I actually haven't discussed anything with them as I have a lot of work coming I need a working tablet asap so I didn't want to get into any discussion with them, I just asked for a refund by email, the tablet is now gone.

9. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

10. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Well this is super depressing. Mine is stuck in Tennessee due to the weather! ugh... After hearing all this Im not even sure I want it to show up. I sold the previous model because it didnt seem quite ready. It was nice but didnt fit my needs. I hadnt planned on buying this one until i heard it could slave to a better PC which to me made it more future proof. I dont really mind fan noise so much but if the ability to act as a normal cintiq for other computers is crippled I might have to send it back as well. What the hell were they thinking.