Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

SO psyched for your review!

2. steph___

steph___ Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I just received a cintiq companion 2 premium (i7 256GB) this morning.
    I come from a cintiq 13HD coupled with a 13" macbook and was very confident this would be a perfect replacement as I am a very nomadic person. Turns out I am extremely disppointed and will return it. :(

I actually love everything about it except for one single problem which is a complete deal breaker for me : the fan noise.
    please understand that my macbook and cintiq 13HD were dead silent most of the time so you know where I come from, so most people will probably not be as sensitive to the issue.
    For me when I am in a creative mood I need silence to be into it. the companion 2 is always noisy.

so how bad is it?
    first I can't tell if it is any worse than the companion 1 which I never tried. I read on this forum some complaints about it so it may be similar.
    the most annoying for me is that the noise is constant ! even at idle state, very clearly heard but not crazy either.
    the fans will however regularly accelerate and get impossible to ignore ( low resources apps like sketchbook or even internet use).
    you can also forget about putting the unit right on your table without the stand (I like it myself) as the fan holes are oriented towards the bottom of the unit, so it gets highly amplified. In this situation I'm pretty confident anyone would get mad about it.

also both fan areas get pretty warm (under the drawing hand and on the top of the unit), so I am very concerned about that. I doubt this is a reliable machine with such poor cooling.

I am very curious of surfacepro artist feedback of the i5 model on this specific issue, i7 are supposed to heat a little more than i5 so if its not that bad I may actually downgrade to the i5 version. otherwise I'll buy another cintiq 13HD :(

to finish on a morepositive note, this is such a fantastic product for someone who don't mind a little fan noise.
    the screen resolution is perfect, it is very responsive even touch gestures seemed to work like a charm.
    but well, that damn noise, I just can't tolerate it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    fishdavis likes this.
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One of the reasons (besides price) that I've been very reluctant to go i7 with any of the devices I purchase is the additional heat generated and fan activity required to keep that processor cool. The noisiest device I own is the Core i7 Sony Flip 15A. But even my i5 tablets like the Surface Pro 3 will occasionally start whirring up like mad.

With most new Windows pc's, there's a period where they have to download and install a lot of updates, so unless you change those settings to manual, it's possible that the OS may be doing a lot of unwanted work in the background.

4. steph___

I actually disabled all these updates right away, I have heard similar feedback on i5 vs i7 but went for it anyway as a 128gb internal drive is a little short for me.
    I think it makes sense the fans are constantly making such noise given how warm the unit will quickly get no matter of intensivily you use it. it really looks like a deisgn flaw here, maybe poor quality fans.
    the noise they make is very constant from the moment you turn on the tablet.

5. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

@steph___
    Did you let stand for at least 2 days. In the first couple days the machine is indexing system files and doing lots of initial setup. So the poor thing is busy and it's going to get hot. Try keeping it for at least a week and let us know how it behaves under load then.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Odd that you would hear the fans constantly.....I guess that's one of the drawbacks with Wacom opting for a fuller voltage core, extra performance does equate to extra heat. But it is odd you would hear it constantly....it should have its quite moments.

Out of curiosity have you tried using your Companion 2 in Cintiq Connect mode with your MacBook yet? Since it will run off the MacBooks hardware....it should be as silent as your 13HD when used in that mode. Heat might still be generated because of the battery, but if the fan is still blazing, that could be a legitimate hardware problem with your unit.

7. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Any word on reviews yet? Specifically of the lower end models? Trying to contemplate if an i3 will be sufficient for my needs...

8. steph___

ron> thanks for your input, actually the unit is totally installed and I did run it for a few hours

dark magistric > I guess it is better to wait for other user reviews to see if that sound is normal or not, again coming from a silent laptop my judgement is probably a little hard on the issue, but it is a major problem for me.
    it also doesn't matter if it is plugged or not, fans never rest.
    I just tried it plugged in my macbook just an hour ago, and again I am very diappointed for a few new reasons.

- first the fan noise is exactly the same,
    I think what wacom did to make it work is they added a capture chip or software but windows is still running in the background. if you plug the tablet to your mac the tablet will turn on automatically, but when you unplug it you are right into windows without any loading time, which means windows was already loaded.

- the problem I just discovered is the quality of the capture is not very good, and I am being nice.
    let be specify my macbook is the model with an hdmi output, I am not using any minidiplayport to hdmi conversion adaptor. also it is the same computer I used with the cintiq 13HD without any issue, so the signal from the computer must be good, the problem can only be related to the capture/convertion on the cintiq companion side.

the image looks exactly like if you added too much of "sharpen" filter in photoshop to an image, or bad compression. typos and small graphics look too crisp, if I look at the identical screen mirrored from the mac it looks way better and softer on the mac.
    It is the same with images I open, it looks good on the mac, and like overly compressed image on the cintiq.

here is what I did as a test :
    - cintiq plugged to the mac > illustration opened on the mac and mirrored on the cintiq -> it looks way better on the mac
    - cintiq unplugged running windows 8 > same illustration opened -> looks good, I still prefer the mac screen but no strange artifacts happening.

this is a big problem for me as I intend to plug the cintiq on computers at work from time to time.
    conforts me to stick to the 13HD which had none of these issues.

- also another issue with the capture chip/codec, whatever they use :
    there is some remanence. if I move windows they leave a discreet but noticeable trace behind them, that only disappear when you move a window over again (exactly like a crashed windows except the trace is nearly the same color as the background color) It is noticeable on my full grey color desktop background.
    thing is it doesn't affect a document Im working on.
    for example if I create a white canvas in photoshop, fill a red square in it, and then move it around the canvas there is no issue at all. it just is realted to the OS windows.
    To be honest it is very discreet so not much of an issue compared to the crispyness of the image, but I thought it may be worth mentioning, it says a lot on the quality of the signal sent between the cintiq and the computer.

anyway I am sending back the tablet tomorrow, so disappointed.
    I don't count how many wacom products I have bought over the years that always perfectly delivered, I would never imagine I wouldn't be satisfied with what looked like the ultimate wacom tablet to me...

PS : sorry for my broken english, hope you can get to understand most of what I wrote :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    darkmagistric likes this.
  9. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

That's disappointing to hear, because I was seriously thinking about getting the 512gb version because of the Broadwell chip and extra RAM, which, in addition to the Cintiq-capability, would seem future-proof for me. But after reading about the HDMI compression issues, I'm starting to get a bit hesitant.

10. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

It is a major disappointment that the fans are the same as the companion 1. I have the original, and it always has a faint fan sound that ramps up quickly under intensive use. it does not annoy me, ill take the mobility and small size for my nomadic life- but i would prefer a quiet machine. Apple sure does build nice laptops. too bad their tablets are just toys....

Hopefully the connect issues get fixed for Mac's. It will be interesting to see if Windows workstations have similar problems.

Thanks for taking the time to post your experience, steph__