Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

To be honest, I would guess they are hammering somethings out with the batterylife/fan issue Im really disappointed with the battery life. I have to do some more testing, but it seems to get 4-5 hours idle, 1.5 real work. This is crazy low. I have a feeling something is wrong under the hood and they need to get it figured out. I would probably send it back and wait for the top end model if I hadnt already ripped it open. Im hoping its something that can be fixed with software updates.

2. Radium

Radium Pen Pal - Newbie

Right now on the European e-store, all the versions except Enhanced, are back in stock and ready to ship. Thats strange. I it means they dont work on any fix , or they already fixed it.

3. Radium

Radium Pen Pal - Newbie

I just talked to a Wacom representative on a chat. In China, the i5 and i7 versions will be available in 2 months ....
    And for the Enhanced version he didnt know yet. Also, didnt know anything about fan noise or fixing. But there is some good news. They have a real store in my city so i can go and test the products before buying. However 2 months is indeed a lot of time... Maybe i can improve my drawing skills untill then. Or maybe i will buy a Lenovo...

Illustrator76 likes this.
  4. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I really find it hard to believe that the delay in second round of machines is due to hardware fixes. The fans are loud, but they cool. Simply changing the cooling curves or RPMs via software would help reduce noise. I would expect a software update to do that. Likewise, battery life isn't something they can "fix" physically without drastically changing the physical layout of the device, which would require more than two months of testing. Like most niche devices, they simply do limited runs to not overproduce. Especially when Wacom sells primarily to large production companies who will purchase the i7 models and above. It only makes sense to limit production of the lower end models.

5. Radium

Radium Pen Pal - Newbie

Some guys said that maybe they could just replace the fan with a more quiet one. I wouldnt mind paying a few tens of $ more for this. But honestly i am not sure how many people do complain about this. I saw maybe 10 or so users online on various places.. If they already sold hundreds or more of items with happy users, that makes it insignificant. It must be really a massive wave of complaints all around the world in order for something to be done.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's on OSX? Even on Windows that's lower than the Ivy Bridge CC1 idle run times, somethings not right...can you run CPU-Z or (CPU-X on OSX) and see what the clock and temps are during idle/load?

Another thing you might try is to use the Intel XTU (Windows-only) to undervolt the CPU by adjusting "Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset" starting at -50mV and working down to -100mV (depending on system stability). You can also manually drop the clock multipliers, so under full load, the temperature is (hopefully) kept low enough to manage fan speed/power drain.

Do deal directly with fan noise, a more risky option is to use HWiNFO64 (Windows again) to manually control the fan tables (if the CC2 uses a supported fan controller). But since you said you don't mind the fan, it might not be worth trouble/risk.

PS. If you get the chance also run AIDA64 to get a listing of the internal components, which will help as reference for upgrading RAM/SSD and possibly give some hints to the solve the hardware issues.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

actually 1.5 Hours Real Work (Full Load) does make sense

The system can take 28w at max....and the Battery is only a 50w....so working it at full load, less than 2 hours would be a realistic battery life expectant.

If they had used a 15w ULV Haswsell, 3+ hours at Full load would have been possible, but that wouldn't offer the same performance

To that end I almost wish they offered a Core M Variant because that would easily get close to 8+ hours with the same size battery

I'd say give it another 2 tech generations.....when I hope Core M can retain the same low 6.5w tdp, but with performance rivaling the current Haswell/Broadwell gen of Core i's.

8. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey thanks for all the info. Im getting this all in OSX currently, but reinstalling windows 8.1 now to do some testing there, to be fair I should be in the recommended OS. The reason why this bothers me is, in zbrush doing simple things ramps up the CPU when I dont think its necessary. Doing the same things on my samsung ativ (2-3 years old ULV processor) it doesnt seem to require much power. I feel like the CPU is being told RUN HARD when its not needed. Im hoping this is some setting or way that I configured OSX will get all the info out of windows and return to let you guys know. Its crazy to me that a last gen ivybridge got better battery life, why the hell did they choose this proc/battery for the cintiq 2? I would much rather have the last configuration. That i7 would be friendly with the battery but knew when to kick into high gear, benched lightly better and still got better battery life.

9. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

I think I'll be hanging on to my Companion 1 longer than I expected to.

10. farground

farground Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the i3 really that terrible to settle for? For someone who plans to work with programs like SAI and Photoshop with a relatively low number of layers, is it even necessary to hold out for an i5? I wanted to get that one grade up for the sheer luxury of knowing I could do a bit more at once with it, but for fairly general use, will the i3/4GB be terrible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.