Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

1. wrongpassword

wrongpassword Pen Pal - Newbie

I didn't even know about the hardware fails of the first gen. The moment I heard Ivy Bridge and no ability to be used as a desktop pen display, I lost interest.

Gen 2 looks promising though. Still expensive but infinitely more functional. Hopefully this will start a trend of tablets that can seamlessly perform double duty as a monitor. Current streaming software is alright but CPU costs and the latency is often atrocious.

2. Yoyobuae

Yoyobuae Pen Pal - Newbie

With the hybrid the connection to PC is extremely simple: Plug in HDMI >>> tablet switches to monitor mode. Even in such a case the tablet heats up quite a bit when plugged in monitor mode, almost the same as when CPU is working hard in Android mode (ie. playing a CPU intensive game).

With the CC2 they keep refering to this "Cintiq Connect" or "Wacom Connect" app. Is this some app that needs to be launched to use cintiq mode? How does one gets back to tablet mode? How much CPU power is used while in monitor mode?

My guess about the hardware is that they added a sort of HDMI capture card. In order to display this input into screen it first needs to pass thru the CPU, because Windows "owns" the display (and graphic card) and won't just let something else to display on it.

Android (Linux) allows customization to have more direct access to displaying stuff on screen (ie. direct framebuffer access). With Windows they are probably more limited in this respect, and maybe needed to display stuff inside a program/app (hence the need for Cintiq Connect).

Remains to be seen how well this works when connected to desktop.

3. tabletartist4d

tabletartist4d Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey guys heres a new video posted, also I did a screen grab of the official Wacom spec sheet from the video, but im sure its the same as what was already posted.

[​IMG]

fishdavis and ATIVQ like this.
  4. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That Enhanced model is gonna destroy our wallets, but it still has WANT written all over it anyway!

While the Iris 6100 is still pretty weak sauce for graphics (integrated always is, doubly so on mobile devices), at least it's a full-fledged Windows Tablet PC that does happen to serve as an external monitor for once. Here's hoping it has adequate cooling to not throttle itself in short order.

darkmagistric likes this.
  5. tabletartist4d

yeah the Enhanced and Enterprise versions look amazing. The 16gb is great. I find it kind of odd that they included windows 7 pro on the enterprise, for stability maybe? Pros prefer it? If this were my only PC I would probably go for the higher end models, but since I plan on tethering it to a stronger desktop or laptop at some point im going for the standard. The bottom model could suffice for many but for 300 more you really get a good upgrade. Im chomping at the bit the pre order this thing, I even sold my cintiq 22hd touch for the funding.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well for the enterprise market, they tend to buy in bulk for an organization, and generally big organizations or companies don't really update their OS as frequently as individual users. My old job for instance used Windows 2000 way longer then it should have for alot of work stations. We even got new towers at one point.....that had "XP" stickers on them, but still ran windows 2000.....literally my work computers were rocking Windows 2000 until 2012 when we got Windows 7.....totally skipping XP and Vista. Windows 7 ain't going nowhere for a while.

Back to Companion, I'm conflicted as well as to which model to get. The Standard Model would easily suit my needs....but the Enhanced model would certainly future proof the purchase a bit.

I wish they would give us a release date though. If memory serves the original Companion was unveiled late August 2013, but buyers didn't start receiving them until Early October....so if Wacom opts for the same time frame from unveiling to shipping....I guess we can hope for a Late February/Early March period for these to start hitting the street.

7. tabletartist4d

Yeah I believe I read a few places that they were going to start taking pre orders in Feb. I also agree the base model would fit my needs fine as a quick sketching device that I could tether to more powerful workstations at home and with the tethering option and hi res screens these seem to be pretty future proof at least for a few years. The only reason Im considering the second model up would be the fact its substantially more powerful for a little more money. It has twice the ram, twice the SSD (which you can swap out at some point if you need), twice as powerful processor and better graphics card (albeit built in). The only real upside I could see to the base model would be twice the battery life as it runs at around half the wattage. I did some digging tho and found that the battery life should be about the same, strangely enough. Either way, Im pretty excited about this release, wish it were more compact but this is a professional niche device not an android tablet. Im glad Wacom is listening to the customers concerns and implementing suggestions.

8. vraylalne

vraylalne Pen Pal - Newbie

9. ThorntonArtStudio.com

ThorntonArtStudio.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like a great update. One thing I've learned from SP3 is I like drawing in portrait a lot of the time. Eventually, I think we'll see most tablet pc's adopt 2x3 or 3x4 screens. It's just better. Although Companion is clearly made for landscape with the express keys, 2x3 is still a big improvement in landscape. They need to stop using cinematic laptop screens and start making tablet screens.

10. tabletartist4d