Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, financial worries suck. I'm getting around it with government benefits and loans along side living with my parents. (and paying them a large part of those government benefits)
    It's enough to live off of but nothing more. I purchased my PC and Cintiqs prior to quitting my supermarket job and moving back home. I really need all the time I can get to study at the moment before I decide to sell myself.
    I'm currently at CDW studios studying to become a concept artist. The dream is inhouse studio work at a games studio.
    At least we are both lucky we have decent art/design schools in our respective states.

2. Kitkats

Kitkats Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone have any experience of using a high-quality matte screen protector with the SP4? I hate glossy monitors, and when I played with a Surface in store, the drawing on glass just killed it for me. I recently bought a Cintiq 27QHD which is now going back due to dead pixels. I think it's too big for me anyway so I'm back to comparing the CC2 and SP4. But drawing on the QHD with the felt nibs was the kind of tooth-y feel I want. I dunno if that is even possible with the SP4.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Does anyone have any experience of using a high-quality matte screen protector with the SP4?..>>

...Wouldn't it have made more sense to post this in the Microsoft forum? Anyway, see the "Best Screen Protector" discussion thread in the Accessories forum. In addition to offering a range of film types, Photodon offers custom-cut screen protectors for many different brands of tablets...

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/the-best-screen-protector.21750/

4. Kitkats

Kitkats Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry. I guess I was hoping for someone who specifically had experience with both the CC2 and the SP4 with a screen protector.

5. Steve S

<<...I guess I was hoping for someone who specifically had experience with both the CC2 and the SP4...>>

...Try visiting SurfaceProArtist at his site: www.surfaceproartist.com He's always happy to share his experiences with different tablets...

surfaceproartist likes this.
  6. Jayjapanb

So, turns out Wacom pens are pretty volatile to water.
    I accidentally left my common sense behind today and when my pen had something sticky on it my instinctive reaction was to just "wash it off"
    I know they have a circuit. Just a dumb mistake.

Dead pen is dead. That's a good $120 down the drain.

tldr: Don't be stupid also make sure to get enough sleep.

7. Steve S

<<...Dead pen is dead. That's a good $120 down the drain...>>

...You may still be able to rescue your pen. Enclosed electronics can sometimes take days to dry out, but it's also a race with possible corrosion. Try leaving your pen on a sunny counter for a couple of days or, if you can control the heat, in a very mildly warm oven (not more than 100 to about 110 degrees F) for at least several hours. Your pen should come back to life...

Good luck.

8. Jayjapanb

Thanks, Steve.
    It's in a bag of rice at the moment. I hear that helps.

I have a backup pen from my 24HD. If the pen is dead I will probably order another though so I'm never without a pen.
    Where I live I'd have to order one so I like to keep a spare so I'm never without.

9. Steve S

<<...It's in a bag of rice at the moment...>>

...I don't recommend rice. Mild heat is more effective and faster.

There was an interesting discussion of the rice method on one of the forums months ago. IIRC, a scientific look at the method concluded that it was no better than drying in air (but I may not be remembering that accurately)...

10. PGross

PGross Scribbler - Standard Member

I recently had a pro pen run through the washer and dryer. Can't remember if I pulled it apart and used some compressed air on it or not, but first day it worked but one of the buttons always registered as on. After a couple days it worked fine again.