Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

1. donbartolo

donbartolo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello guys!

I bought a CC2 Core i7 /16GB/ 512GB/ windows 8.1.
    I tested the tablet during a drawing session in Toon Boom Harmony with a fully charged unplugged battery.

Here follow my observations:

> battery life:
    - i get around 5 hours in balanced mode while drawing in Toon Boom Harmony (latest version)
    - I did no render nor did i used effects
    - always set in full open gl mode
    - i did nothing else than freehand-drawing in Harmony + keyframe toggling during 5 hours
    - no wifi activated
    - drain didn't seem abnormal to me. (Compared to my Samsung Ativ Pro 700-t)

> fans : nothing more than my Samsung Ativ Pro 700-t. No bother at all.
    (The only single time time till now i heard the fans very loud was a few minutes during the 2 hours installation of the creative cloud + making renders full of effects in TB Harmony. No problems of that kind here. )

> Wacom stand
    Outstanding when taking the plane or drawing in bed. The aesthetic of the stand can surely be improved but it works per-fect-ly for my nomad needs.

> Resolution
    Perfect! More than 1920x1080 is cool for making animation, because you can always check @ 100% on your Full HD projects and still have tools on your desktop!

> Screen Protector
    The grainy surface is very visible on the yellowish wallpaper from Windows 8.1 but except that it doesn't bother me at all. Most o fthe time i do not even see it.

The drawing feeling is identical to the 13HD (I draw exclusively with flex nibs)

I must admit that the grainy texture looks more visible on the CC2 than on my Cintiq 13 HD.

> Weight
    No problem when walking around if i put it in a bag that rests on my shoulder. I am not sure i would like to take it on a bike. ^^

When drawing in a coach/bed the stand rests on my belly, so i don't feel the weight of the tablet at all.

> Built
    Seems very solid.
    Even the power plug seems cool to me.

> Calibration
    Not perfect on the edges but very accurate on the rest of the screen.
    (I can be wrong, but i think it's a really tiny less acurate on the borders than the 13hd, but i could be wrong.)
    Distance contact pen on the glass and line is same as on the Cintiq 13 Hd: around 2 mm (= noticeably less than 27 QHD / 22 HD)

> Equipment
    - Alimentation brick is too big/heavy.
    Is it possible to get a thinner one on the market with the correct plug for the companion 2?
    - bag is extremely thin which is cool because you can put it in a larger 15" bag without problems but... The little bag alone is not enough to feel secure against unwanted collisions.
    - stylus. Too big/fat for me. The Classic Pen is perfect for my needs. :3

Conclusion:
    I couldn't be more happy. Now i just hope it will continue to work flawlessly.
    Drawing without using a keyboard is so amazing cool.
    My personal advice for 2d artists: stop watching at other nomad devices. This is the real stuff! :p

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. Vlad1214

Vlad1214 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there. maybe someone can help me here with this ..
    one of the reasons I didnt bought CC 1 was because it didn t had the possibility to turn it on as a stand alone cintiq .. anyway now .. now that I have the budget ...
    can anyone confirm or tell me about this on the CC2 ? ..
    I mean.. CC2 can work as a stand alone cintiq .. without depending on the cpu ,mobo,ram etc.. ..
    maybe its a silly question but .. my doubt is .. what if the "laptop" hard on the cintiq cc2 stop working .. lets say ram or cpu ..or motherboard.. I still will be able to work as a citntiq ? (hooked up to a laptop or desktop pc of course. )

thanks .

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes I had the same issue with the CC1. You can definitely use the CC2 as a Cintiq and as a result I'd advise you not to purchase the highest end model unless you're absolutely sure you need all that horsepower on the go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vlad1214 likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

thats.....a very good question. I seldom use my CC2 in Cintiq Connect Mode....in the event of a complete motherboard/cpu/SSD failure........I think their's a good chance the Cintiq Connect Mode would not work.

That assumption comes from the fact that the CC2's loud internal fan still activates in Cintiq Connect Mode....comparatively the 13HD Cintiq...from which the Cintiq Companion borrowed its design and form from heavily does not have fans and is silent in operation. Also when users initially updated from Windows 8.1 to 10.....updating broke Cintiq Connect mode from working until Wacom came up with a fix for it.

Both of those heavily point to the theory that the CC2's Cintiq Connect Mode.....must still rely on the Tablet PC mode in some degree to operate.....like under Cintiq Connect Mode....the tablet PC mode is still operating....even if at a reduced capacity just to run the software/firemware/drivers necessary for Cintiq Connect mode to work.

Vlad1214 likes this.
  5. LunaP

LunaP Pen Pal - Newbie

Just put in an order for the 950 Pro 512gb, intel 7260 A/C MW.R adapter and 16gb Kit for Mem. Was debating between the Haswell 4xxx variant since it was slightly clocked higher, but I think the Iris 6100 will do me better w/ the 256model 5775U.

Curious if anyone here had issues when upgrading their drives? I've heard some have had to clone their M.2's to get things to work properly though haven't had any issues in the past so just verifying.

6. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

well my CC2 512 warranty is almost up. with no CC3 announced im getting a little worried. has anyone in the USA been able to get a extended warranty? My CC1 and CC2 have both suffered total failures, im not convinced that this is a good machine anymore. i love the drawing performance and features (its so hard to go back to Ntrig), but the extreme heat and noise of the CC2 are cause for concern. getting stuck with a 2000$ brick would really hurt my freelance business and art school performance. Ive had good service on my warranty replacements once i complained and made allot of noise on wacom forums- so i guess i could rely on repair- but this would take valuable time away from work. i no longer have the option of using a desktop if my portable solution fails because i am living nomadic right now.

Anyone know of any solutions? ive considered selling by six month old brand new replacement unit and purchasing a new unit, but this seems like a expensive solution to a tablet that only does drawing better than the competition that offers much better warranty programs. I really hope i can get an extended warranty from wacom.

7. LunaP

LunaP Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd try sending it in for a board replacement if possible, the heat issue sounds like you have a bad model, I've read/ seen many others with perfectly fine models. Mine doesn't ever get hot, just warm for the most part. Unless you're in a heated area or out in the sun usually. If not there are 3rd party warranty sites that will assist. Not sure about outside of the US, though I've seen some w/ laptops that service all types of things. I'll try to pull up some links.

My CC1 has been doing amazing for the past few years now. As for the CC3 you should see information @ CES 2017, since its every 2 years they do a release ( according to Wacom directly) that's part of the reason I ended up going w/ the 2 early on.

8. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

I guess it's possible I've had 3 bad companions, but I think the odds are slim. Perhaps the difference is our painting styles and environments. I usually have my screen brightness at 100% and use the upper performance mode. All my cc2's have had similar heat and noise levels. It only gets hot painting outside in the shade on a summer day.

Glad u lucked out on the cc1, I had one with plugged in not charging issue. The cc1 did have much less heat and noise though.

I can live with the heat and noise levels, the extra performance is worth it. I'm just worried about getting another fried companion. I'm going to call Wacom and see if they have a program with a better warranty. If not I'm going to have to consider jumping ship to another brand, I have to figure out some kind of back up system. I learned the hard way what happens when I only have one workstation.

9. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

Time to slice it open and get a 1tb ssd and 32gb of ram! :D
    On a side note, I doubt Wacom would extend the warranty or replace parts unless it has something wrong with it. I'm pretty sure they would need to make it serviceable for a while though. As in you should be able to send it in to be fixed for a cost for at least 3 years. (I hope)
    With cars there are laws for this iir. Not sure about electronic products though.

I've always seen the Companions as a bit more of a time bomb than desktop Cintiqs. I just hope I won't care when that day comes...

10. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

haha yeah 32gb ram would be nice!

All my companions have been time bombs. the wacom service is great , i just wish they had a better warranty. last time my companion failed, they just sent me a new one in 10 days or so. something like apple care would be great. i really do like my companion despite all the flaws.

i usually have two computers with cintiq's at all times (learned this from a freelance illustrator i had worked for last year) just in case of a software or hardware failure, but the expense of renting a place is really adding up my student loan costs. even coming from poor family with zero aid, 3.8 GPA, full scholarships, i still have to get loans. im lucky i found a cheap illustration program at the state college level, but California cost of living is killing me. i only eat a meal every other day. I'm thinking about living in my truck next year to cut costs, but i wont be able to keep my desktop cintiq backup system in my truck. Just trying to think ahead.