Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Artists' started by whazzup, Jan 6, 2015.

1. wowdoge

wowdoge Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your feedback. I actually have a nice custom built desktop to tackle any 3D work, but I was thinking of using cc2 for cintiq capability plus some minor 3d work on the go. Hopefully I made the right decision by purchasing the cc2 standard... I guess i'll find out in a few days when i receive mine.

2. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

got my replacement CC2 today! surprisingly they sent me a brand new unit. and another interesting note: this newer tablet is much more quiet than my last unit. even upon idle! im loading up all the software at a friends house and so far its only gone above idle once. im pretty surprised at this. maybe wacom silently updated the fans.

3. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone confirm if the CC2 uses the same 3-way (USB, HDMI, power) breakout cable as the CCH (the Android hybrid unit) for attaching to another PC in slave mode?

I have two of these cables: one for my desktop and one for my laptop, and if I were to get a CC2, it'd be nice to use my extra for more easily switching to a second workstation.

4. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

It might be the same port but cable it comes with terminates in a single HDMI
    Edit: and USB!

5. TruenoGT

TruenoGT Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting, thanks! So I assume you need to power it with the separate power supply connection in addition to the HDMI+USB connection for video/data.

6. Beautiful_cymatics

Beautiful_cymatics Pen Pal - Newbie

After following this thread for months I'm finally ready to make the jump. But I'm still hesitant honestly. After owning your cc2's how are you guys feeling about them? I sense a lot of mixed reviews still. Are the newly built ones any better, like have any of the bugs been fixed? Also I know a few other tablets at being released, is cc2 still the best bet for an artist or does anyone recommend something like surface pro 4 or any other one. I know it's all a bit subjective but if it helps I'm a graphic designer/ illustrator and will use my machine for drawing painting and vector work. Thank you in advance for the feedback :)

7. BobBee

BobBee Pen Pal - Newbie

I've owned a CC2 for about 8 months now (I7 512gb model). Here are my honest thoughts about the purchase:

In a nutshell: As a pure art device: Fantastic. As an all-around tablet PC: Bad.

If you are truly dedicated to the digital arts and see yourself using this tablet for that sole purpose, then yes, this is the bomb. I use Manga Studio 5 and it runs beautifully. My actual 'art experience' is smooth and seamless. Drawing is a breeze, express keys are great, art creation is fun.

So lets talk about the bad things now. If this is a device you will use for web-surfing, watching movies, and then to 'draw on the side,' then I absolutely do not recommend this device. Its just too pricey, especially when there are cheaper alternatives that could fulfill those needs.

The battery life is very poor, 2-3 hours.
    The fans run loud when using many programs.
    And...there is a weird 'auto-contrast' problem I've yet to resolve. If the charger is not plugged in and you are working with greys, the screen auto-contrasts to reduce the contrast of whats on the screen. I have not found a solution, which means I'm almost always plugged in when dealing with colour or strict values.

As for glitches, I just noticed that one strange glitch when on restoration from sleep, the display gets all glitchy. This doesn't bother me too much simply because it occurs so rarely and is fixable by a simple re-sleep or restart.

As for build quality, very sturdy. I have the CC1 too and I had that charger issue which I had to repair in a ghetto manner. My CC2 hasn't had that problem and it looks noticeably reinforced in comparison to the CC1. Even surfing around on forums, only about 1-2 individuals have reported a real charger issue. So far so good.

Despite all of these negatives, I don't want to create the impression that I don't like it. I do. (Seriously, reprogramming all express keys EVEN ON THE PEN is a godsend) But I'm part of that niche contingent of people who live and breathe art. I draw 24/7 and because of that, the CC2 fits me.

I've thought of other possible alternatives. Here's a good one I thought of:

The Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book look to give the CC2 a run for its money. Having dabbled with both, the drawing experience is slightly worst, but decent enough. The only problem is that these devices don't have express keys. But there's a solution to that: Buy a XKeys Stick XK-16 and just pop it on. Bam, now you've got a pseudo-CC2 for a cheaper price.

8. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

That's pretty awesome. It would be great if somebody made one of these that could utilize the magnets on the sides of the Surface Pro 4. Probably not very economical for them, but it would be awesome if the USB port was line up perfectly for it to connect and just sit at the side.

9. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

for the auto contrast, go to power options, then change plan settings. change advanced settings. open "display" tree, open "enable adaptive brightness tree". turn it to off for pm battery and plugged in.

note: you have to do this to each power profile you use

CC2 had the best pen tech ive ever used. but as a tablet its still not super refined. hot, loud, short battery life. once they fix those issues it will be ideal IMO. its the only tablet made specifically for artist. everything else is geared for productivity, with the ability to sketch.

10. BobBee

BobBee Pen Pal - Newbie

I've tried that Danijoy, no bueno.

The contrast is lowered whenever I use any program with a grey UI, or whenever I am drawing in greyscale. It changes the contrast so that blacks are duller and whites become grey. Color value is also lost.

But...when I plug the CC2 in, the autocontrast is instantly disabled. The CC1 does not have this problem.