Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Nice breakdown @Art_N00b.

Might want to also check out Brad Colbow's comparison to the XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro @7:12:

Interestingly, even though the Kamvas 24 advertises a laminated display, Brad couldn't tell the difference between the screens or the pen performance.

The XP-Pen Q&A suggests the screen on the Artist 24 Pro is not quite lamination, but close:

(XP-Pen)
    "Yes, our Artist24 pro adopts a new technology reduced amount of space between the display. It isn't a full-laminated screen, but it has the same performance as a full-laminated screen with almost no parallax."

This probably explains why Teoh noticed more parallax on the Kamvas 24 Pro too vs. true lamination on the 22 Plus.

All-in-all, I think this is evidence that both QHD models are sourcing the same panel and maybe even same digitizer (UC-Logic?). Huion talks about a new "PenTech 3.0", but they don't explicitly say they make the digitizer in-house.

In any case, the Artist 24 Pro supports a USB-C single cable connection which imo suggests it's got a more recent update to the logic board. At the same $899 price point, it's the better buy than the Kamvas Pro 24 imo.

2. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

In this youtube vid, I see pen problems with the XP-Pen 24 that I haven't seen in the Huion 24:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANWe6qJlLh4

Also, Huion is etched glass and I think the XP-Pen is using a screen protector.

I'd pick either Huion first.

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Into the field of alternatives - Lenovo's M14t portable monitor now has a price tag. You get the Active Pen with it.

Lenovo US

:confused::confused:

1080p at 22 inches? Come on Huion!

4. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know about Huion, but the IAF of my Gaomon PD156Pro is really an improvement over my XP-PEN 12 Pro. The Gaomon can always make mark consistently from a very light touch ( as light as Apple Pencil or Wacom S-pen). The XP-PEN 12 is usually a hit or miss at that lightness. But a review of the new XP-PEN innovator 16 mentioned that the IAF had been much improved to detect really light touch. The Innovator came out after the 24 Pro though so I don't know if that fix is applied on the new 24 batch ...

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Your US link put it in Singapore dollars. here’s the proper US link

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/access...fice/M14tA20140FX014inch-Monitor/p/62A3UAR1US

Looks like it came out a month early. As much as this will remain on my radar, with the world still mostly shut down and sitting indoors in public is still a no go, I really can’t justify this purchase at this point. My desktop is already maxed on monitors and doesn’t have USB-C, so it would prove difficult to repurpose this as a makeshift Cintiq for my purposes. I was also one of the first adopters of its pen predecessor the Lt1423p, and that thing was so poorly made and disappointing, I’ll will likely sit on the side of caution with this one. At least till Lenovo runs a decent sale or refurbished offer.

6. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

At 430$, this one is just 30$ more expensive than the 15.6" alternative offering, and it had the addition of touch. If AES jitters is not bad, this is a pretty reasonable price. I wonder if they could provide an usb-c to USB-A+HDMI backward adapter. Most of the adapter on the market seem to be only one-way.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I thought the same thing about it’s pen predecessor. 13-inch EMR Pen and Touch was a steal for $450, especially when the Cintiq 13 was still in the 1K mark. Of all the devices I’ve had over the years, the Lt1423p perhaps disappointed me the most, that’s just how poorly it worked. I’m hoping for the best with this one, but I rather wait till someone else can get their hands on it to confirm how usable it is for art.

8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One thing I never really looked at before was resale values and alternatives are just horrible for getting much back after you bought it full price, at least here in the UK they are. The big thing the M14t offers though is touch. I'm genuinely enjoying being able to use touch more and more after poo-pooing it for so many years.

Ooops! My bad. I can't tell the difference when I look at US websites I'm afraid.

Entirely reasonable approach I think. Apart from the Apple iPad, I've not really used an AES tablet in serious art mode so it's a lot of money to put down on something that doesn't work or is just made horribly.

9. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Toeh Yi Chie did a follow up video comparing the two more directly including placing them side by side:

Huion Kamvas Pro 24 vs Kamvas 22 Plus

- Most of the video was a recap of the prior videos
    - Two changes:
    -- He said that after using the pen on both displays he finds the sensitivity on both displays is the same (previously he said one was better)
    -- On the 24" he had some problems clicking in the far right upper corner

10. oratzo

oratzo Pen Pal - Newbie

https://twitter.com/hattersarts/status/1280839236237787138
    Heres a video of someone else trying light drawing on the innovator, is this worse than the Gaomon?
    I was considering getting the Gaomon now after seeing your observations about its IAF.