Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't miss touch on the Cintiq 22: I rest my hand on a keyboard placed in the tray under my desk. I can access zoom, pan, rotate, undo/redo, quick access, fav tools, brush +/-, modifier keys (ctrl, alt, shift)... and I never have to adjust my grip on the pen.

Throw in an art glove and I never have to clean my screen either.

#KeyboardMasterRace

2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Once you get used to touch screen on CSP, gestures like zoom, pan and rotate get so intuitive it's hard to replace with hotkey. The reason I recommended that touch emulation Android app is because unlike actually laptop touchpad which take over mouse, it would act as touch input and benefit from CSP touch input being separated from pen-> you can use one finger pan, zoom and rotate like an actual touchscreen.

With keyboard you would need to remember 5 key for those navigation alone, and you can't control the degree of zoom and rotate as intuitively as multi touch, adding several tool changing, brush size, select, transform and it get confusing fast. The scroll ring is a good alternative but you have to use an extra hotkey to switch between zoom and rotate, and another hotkey for pan.

Also off topic but just imagine working with one hand on top of the cintiq and another below the desk would make my shoulder and back feel very painful. When I have to use keyboard I would put it on the table so my shoulder could be even.

Art_N00b likes this.
  3. Art_N00b

You can even the shoulders out by putting the keyboard on the desk. If it doesn't fit well, you can use a numeric keypad with some key-mapping.

The "remembering" issue is merely temporary. Like playing a video game, you'll internalize the controls/keys and use them on autopilot.

I can see though how people would like touch controls.

4. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Am I wrong to assume multi-touch is extremely easy and cheap to implement by now, with billions of cheap smartphones having sported the technology for a decade?

I just don't understand what's taking so long.

5. Art_N00b

Maybe putting it on larger screens AND having pen input AND keeping parallax down AND keeping costs down all at the same time is the issue. Also the demand and competition for smartphones is so much greater than for display graphics tablets...

Just my speculations.

6. Art_N00b

Here's a review by Aaron Rutten of an XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro that he borrowed from a friend:

... the pen looked disappointing compared to Wacom

crazycat likes this.
  7. crazycat

To be fair, Aaron Rutten spent most his time working on the most high end Cintiq, so he is more sensitive when the pen experience few any less than his usual standard.

I actually agree with most of his comment about XP-PEN pressure feel less sensitive than Wacom. If I didn't have some old EMR equipped Samsung devices, I wouldn't notice it. After drawing on a Samsung tab note, drawing on the XP-PEN feel less natural, pressure and line come out somehow feel not as I expect it to be. The cursor trailing after pen a little also accounted to that unnatural feeling( that might be my PC GPU being outdated) , that's why I suspected software processing of lines being the culprit.

XP-PEN have come a long way since a few years back. It's battery-free, decent accuracy, has tilt, jitter free, high resolution, less paralax, good shortcut, affordable. It doesn't have many flaw that can be obviously shown on a video anymore and can only be noticed when you had tried something better.

8. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know if the same applies to the Artist, but I use the XP-Pen Deco 03 (their version of Intuos Pro). I had to adjust the max pressure to half (moved the top of the curve to halfway in the x-axis) in order to get the sensitivity to respond as I expected. Maybe something similar applies to the Artist line?

All reviews I've read say Wacom still feels more natural (both Cintiq and Intuos). But, coming from an Intuos 3, I didn't feel XP-Pen was a downgrade. That said, I'm also not a professional.. so I may not take advantage of the increased value Wacom brings.

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Weird, I actually like the pressure curve on my EX08 (UGEE version of DECO01) more than my UD EMR tablets (and what I remember with my old Cintiq 22HD). The Wacom pens I find tend to blow out the low end of the pressure curve, so it's difficult to draw wispy lines without flattening the first part of the curve.

Here my pressure settings on the EX08:
    [​IMG]

This give me precise control with fine line thicknesses and decent control with wider lines (mostly for eyebrows, hair, etc) by pushing a bit harder. All in all, it's a pretty good feel.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. crazycat

The unnatural feeling is most promiment on the new 12 inch laminated display version ( and even then it's still pretty good, only noticeable when I do very small line or circle). The non display version could be better probably because output not being interfered by the display above?

BTW, the reason I tried to buy the Gaomon despite all the risk is because of this little cute. It's just an impulse buy because of the cheap, but drawing on it feel great. The IAF is very low, even a feather light touch can be detected (lower than the EX08), and pressure curve felt really comfortable, pretty close to the Samsung S-pen stuff. I tried the Gaomon pen on my Ugee/XP-Pen display and the pen is detected, but it's in pressed state constantly even though I only hover. So I suspect Gaomon program their digitizer differently to archieve better IAF. If Gaomon monitor can have performance close to that graphic tablet then all the risk I took would be worth it.

Marty likes this.