Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This was the comment

"Hi Chuck, The pen comes with Ananta monitor that supports the MPP1.51 protocol and has 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity. The monitor supports up to 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity and supports the tilt."

To sort of break that down, The MPP physical Pens work in Tandem with the digitizer in the device. Like if you have a Surface Pro 3 Pen and use it on a Surface Pro 5-7, the pen will still work but not as well the Pro 5-7 pen. When I first got my Pro 5, I used my Pro 4 pen and I was upset with the performance, but once I got the proper Pro 5 pen, I saw a drastic improvement. So from their comment, I'm inferring the Pen that comes with the Ananta is more a generic Pen, but if you use a higher speced Pen, like the current gen of the Surface Pen, it would perform better.

2. darkmagistric

and whoa......that was quick, they drastically blew blast their pledge goal, the expected "delivery date" is September 2020. I'm still holding caution, far from the first kickstarter to reach is pledge goal and still never happen.

monitor pledge.JPG

3. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm surprised so many people jump the gun despite the lack of transparency of the people behind the project. Seriously we know nothing about them other than the "we are professional" claim, no people or background or past work, we only know they are from China which is not very reassuring here. 10k is actually a low bar to mass produce such an expensive item (anything>100$ on kickstarter is expensive imho), it's like they want to make sure to get the project funded no matter it would be enough for production or not.

Also someone on the comment section warned this could be a scam.

Edit:checked the link, same lack of transparency of the creator, same location based on Shenzhen China, same 10k $ starting number, lots of people trying to claim refund but they know nothing about the project owner. Shouldn't that kind of information be mandatory show to the public when they are taking a huge amount of money from investor?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Hey you know what's fun? Paying $400 now and getting an outdated pen display three years from now, or not getting one at all.

5. darkmagistric

I’m a little surprised as well, like despite how much I want that monitor, I still wouldn’t pledge any money if it wasn’t a sure thing. I’d rather just buy it for $600ish If it gets released.

ironically that other monitor , the Tahie Gemeni one.....I was following that Kickstarter for a while. Although it didn’t have pen support, it’s like the only USB monitor with a built in kickstand. I’m not sure I’d fully agree with the guy who comment that it’s from the same people, I mean a lot of tech products come from Shenzhen. And the concerning questionably nature of the company is honestly just par the course for kickstarters.

6. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

If the Ananta was EMR-based and had more to say about the quality of the pen, I would have rolled the $359 dice. :)

7. darkmagistric

At the very least it should preform no better or worse then the selection of MPP enabled laptops at your local best buy. Performance around the Surface Pro 3/4.

At the very best, it hopefully could perform (again hopefully) closer to the Surface Pro 5.

8. crazycat

Well, most kickstarter I have been interested in are at least more open about themselves: they would either introduce as a, b,c who had this certificate/graduated in field a, b, c or this group have done a, b, c. Or at least an actually name and face should be presented (so people know who to sue, or at least make sure that guy can't scam again/have difficult getting a job if they know they are scammed). Seriously asking for investment while staying anonymous without anything to prove yourself should be illegal.(my family member got scammed hundred thousand of dollars from "online investing" and lost his house so I'm quite passionate about this.)

If you are desperate enough to get a pen and touch monitor, you should look at the Yiynova 15.6 touch model. It still use battery pen tech that is not as good as the EMR one, but it is still a proved and legit pen tech with digitizer layer separated from touch layer, and It is from a reputable company who will provide you support. Or you can go more extreme and import a ready-made, EMR based touch monitor from China (if you back that kickstarter you will still import from China anyway).

9. darkmagistric

I wouldn't say I'm desperate, I just like having options. Even if I did get an ideal Pen/Touch monitor to replace my Cintiq 21ux, while I would use it, I still likely wouldn't use it as often as my more mobile options like my Surface Pro 5 or Mobile Studio Pro, especially if we ever get out of this Pandemic and my coffee shops reopen for me to camp out in. (I'm in the NYC area). Part of the allure of the Ananta is its more portable profile. Its kind of that right size that it could serve as either a Desktop monitor or Starbucks table hog monitor.

But I've seen both off those monitors you mentioned. I very much have considered the Yiynova one, but I'm somewhat skeptical of them....I feel like I'm ready to try a non-wacom option, but I rather opt for XP Pen or Huion they seem to be taking center stage and I feel like they have upped their game, where as Yiynova just fell behind. And that other monitor, every pic of it looks like a concept render, coupled with the language gap, I'm not sure that one would be worth the effort.

I'll probably get more serious about getting a pen/touch monitor when I finally decide to update my now aging desktop that I keep putting off. (Intel 4th Gen that I built like 5 years ago) Hopefully by then Wacom, XP-Pen, or Huion will finally get around to offering Pen & Touch Monitors. Well in Wacoms case, hopefully an affordable option.

10. crazycat

Not exactly a touch solution... but you can use your phone as a touchpad to pan zoom rotate in CSP via some app

If you have a spare phone, maybe you can make do with this until a reputable company put touch on their Cintiq alternative :D.

Marty likes this.