Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just came across something that looks too good to be true. But I have a feeling it it might be sketchy in more ways then one.

https://www.ananta.to/

It a super slim 17 inch portable USB-C Monitor.....with Pen & Touch. No clue of the pen tech used, but they do list Pressure Sensitivity and Tilt. This is almost Stupidly perfect for what I've been looking for to replace my 21ux.

But I can't find anything about this company, and their website uses a " .to " which I've never seen before (the country of tonga?) and they will allegedly have a kickstarter page up soon but are trying to secure $5. Like most Kickstarters, I'm skeptical this will ever see the light of day, and the $5 vip thing comes off kind of like a scam. But still, this could be such a killer product. If this is nothing more then a clickbait scam, they certainly cast the right bait to net me in.

17.JPG

Art_N00b and Marty like this.
  2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

@darkmagistric that looked too good to be true. 17 inch super slim with thin bezel, single cable connection,with pressure pen with tilt and touch to boots :eek:? Resolution is unknown but it must be 1080p and up.

But the whole thing seem so sketchy. The to domain name is one thing but there is not a single thing about themselves on the page: no company name, address, support phone number, support email, name of founder, nothing. The whole website have no outside link whatsoever, just a single page with some flashy marketing and a single panel for us to input our personal information. They didn't even try to put a kickstarter link on the front page to make it more believable. It's like someone just make up a flashy single webpage and claim to be "a company with many years of experience " lol.

3. darkmagistric

yeah.....it’s sketchy no doubt, but I did sign up for the email notice with one of my dummy emails accounts, this is what they send. EFAAFB07-F3FA-4552-BED8-1D6C09F7CEE6.jpeg

Art_N00b likes this.
  4. crazycat

Now it looked even more sketchy... Most kickstarter project would try to promote themselves to get more backer, but they are keeping the details of their project a secret content ( which people have to give email to even know about) and people have to pay up 5$ to get more marketing email and be the first to invest (become a backer ) on a products that might not even exist yet?? It make the backer the one desperate to invest their money here. I doubt such project could be successfully backed with that marketing method (if the kickstarter can actually start that is).
    Edit: about the 339$ price lock, it's a promise make by themselves and not backed by kickstarter (they might not even have any connection to kickstarter at this point) so I will take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  5. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

June 9th seems a little too close for this to be a $5 scam. Well unless the date in the email is getting bumped. In any case, we only have 24 - 48 hours to wait and see if it launches.

I knew there were 15" portable monitors, but not 17". I checked and found a well reviewed one for $330 USD at:
    https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Monitor-FreeSync-Speaker-Nintendo/dp/B07ZLXCVPN/

Kickstarters are risky and hardware-based ones even more so. And pen tech based ones even more than that! I mean what are the chances that the pen tech is good (aka EMR) and well implemented?

But I'll still kick it if it launches, just to support this idea! Thanks @darkmagistric!

6. crazycat

Oh I misread the launch date to July 9th. You are right that these is only 24-48 hours to know if it's legit or not.

There are plenty of portable monitor right now, but touch feature is still a premium among them (400$+) , pen only monitor is often in specialized art tablet store (and it's best buying from them for art purpose). Huion, XP-Pen ... had covered most size from 12"-24" but somehow the 17" size is not available at all, probably the factory that mass produced digitizer panel for Chinese OEM had not created that size yet.

The only portable monitor with both touch and pen I have seen on Amazon is a 150$ 12"monitor modded from Vaio tablet monitor part with touch an Ntrig enabled. Build a new size without ready made digitizer supply in limited quantity would be really costy and difficult.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I gather that once you leave the Wacom compound, it's pretty easy to piggyback a pen onto a touch-enabled screen with off the shelf parts. I'm a little surprised something like this hasn't made an appearance already.

Well.., I suppose it has been done, just on older LCD screen tech, but the implementation was spotty and uninspired.

While this is interesting, (I love the super-thin quality), I'd probably just spring for an XP Pen or something in that price bracket simply because the engineers were directly addressing the problems involved with digital art. Something like this is going to be very hit/miss and not be that much more affordable.

But it IS cool to see the idea floated. I wonder how long it will be before Wacom puts out something along these lines?

8. darkmagistric

I'd rather see Microsoft try something like this, as much as many of us have been begging for a Surface Studio Monitor, something like this in either 15/17 inch will full touch and pixel sense would be perfect. All they would have to do is pop a kickstand on the back of the Surface Book 15's clipboard, replace the computer component with extra battery, throw a usb-c port or two on and mostly they could call it a day.

But with this Ananta Screen, its big plus its got going for it is having both Pen and Touch. There are no shortage of touch monitors, or pen monitors.....but for some reason Pen and Touch together seems to be this weird tech void.

Not counting the super overpriced Cintiq Pros, the only Pen/Touch Monitors I can think of is the Dell Canvas (which is basically a Cintiq in all but name), the Lenovo Lt1423p (which had horrid screen quality and was just a poorly made EMR device), and the 19.5 inch Asus P2201Q. I saw that Asus one on ebay not too long ago, but the corded pen and prospect of not being able to get nib replacements makes it kind of a no-go.

Bottom line, we need more Pen & Touch Monitors.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Remember this? Was it ever widely released?

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

10. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmmm, if Microsoft does this, don't we end up with MPP/Ntrig instead of EMR/Wacom?