Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'd be surprised if it couldn't. I can't remember which brands per say, but for some of the Chinese Wacom competitors, PC sticks plugged into the back of their display tablets has been their "All in one" PC approach.

2. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

That was Yiynova, they added a small extra usb power port, but that is only good enough for Atom stick. In the XP-pen there is an USB-C port, if that one is high powered, then provide power for M3/M5 or those compact NUC will certainly be possible.

Speaking of PC stick, I had an impulse purchase of a 50$ off-brand Baytrail stick with 2gb ram, 32bit Windows10 (same spec as an Asus tab note) and that thing ran connected to an XP-pen 15.6 much more smoothly than a Wacom-equipped Jumper Ezpad with newer Cherry Trail and 4GB and Windows 10 64 bit. The cursor just crawl slowlyyyy after the Wacom pen tip on that tablet. I wonder if it is Wacom panel in the tablet being power hungry or Windows 10 64 bit being power hungry.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It was probably windows, I had both the Asus Vivo Note and the Thinkpad 10, they both have Baytrail, but where as the Asus Note was only 2GB and 32bit windows, the Thinkpad 10 had 4GB and ran 64bit windows.....in Photoshop I couldn't believe how much better and soother Photoshop ran on the Asus over the Thinkpad. Something about Bay/Cherry Trail did not mix well with 64bit windows.

On the matter of PC sticks....what happened to them? Chrome OS ones aside, the last one of real worth was the Core M one that was using a 6th gen core M. Its like Intel just abandoned that product line. I was actually looking into getting one for my TV, and kind of surprised they're haven't been any movement on that front in years.

Mesosphere and crazycat like this.
  4. crazycat

You might be right! I have the Asus Vivotab note too, and its pen flow much better than the supposedly higher spec Jumper Ezpad. I had considered "dowgrade" to 32 bit because the improved performance would outweigh 1 gb ram loss. But there is the issue of touch, wifi, sound... driver being 64 bit only... And I don't know if Windows default driver could deal with it.

The reasons for the disappearance of PC stick might be because Intel gave up on the mobile market. Most of their new chip are 15W+, even the lowest power Celeron, which required a dedicated power brick/plug. The point of a pc stick is a computer in your pocket and can power from the TV USB port, but it wouldn't be much of a point if it take up a whole power plug (two if it's big enough) and you won't be able to put that plug in your pocket as well. They are focusing more on small NUC since it doesn't take much more space( both a core M stick and NUC still need a dedicated power plug), SSD is faster than EMMC and RAM is replaceable, cooling is better..

I decided to order a GM156pro (Chinese ver ) from China and our forwarding service told me a bad news : the Gaomon seller said that their device doesn't work outside China. I think that's BS because it's just a monitor, without processor/GPS to even know where it is used, the device is powered by standard USB, so no special voltage frequently requirement here, and our electrical stat here is similar to China anyway. So I told the forwarding service to order anyway. They reply that the seller insisted that it doesn't work outside China, first they said it doesn't work on english computer, I said I can change system language, then they said some foreigners burned their device. I asked if I can buy any other monitor in their shop, they said their whole store doesn't work oversea, even though I checked and found some of their products is already being resell in my city. I still ordered it and they claim that no support will be provided if it doesn't work. In all it's an unpleasant experience. I will tell the forwarding service to check it when it's still in China lol.

Marty likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Woah, this is big news! Doesn't @crazycat always wait for the big sale? :p

I have say Gaomon really working the marketing on this, even the spec sheet looks like it's ripped from a Wacom page: :D

(Gaomon)
    [​IMG]

And they made a separate video just to show off the nifty touch ring (with Windows Dial API):

Fully-laminated, thin EMR slate, with simultaneous global launch too (available in Canada for $560 CAD with Prime shipping). Nice work Gaomon! :thumbsup:

6. crazycat

@Marty it's 618 sale, I ordered it for 100yuan cheaper. This is the most risky buy I have done though because:

-Gaomon specially said that the device doesn't work outside China, and while I don't trust their excuses at all ( it's usb powered so burning chance is not likely, and it would be scary if a monitor actually have location detection to deactivate itself outside China border), they took this chance to waiver all responsibility even if I might get DOA item. I don't expect to have warranty on imported item but it's another thing if they actually go out of their way to "deactivate" it outside China. This would be worst case scenario that hopefully won't happen.(I have seen their other products resell here)

- Due to pandemic, shipping time is slow, custom is stricter, and won't allow wooden reinforced parcels, so it will come with original packing only and if it shatters I'm on my own.

because the sale only last today so I rushed the order. Regret it a bit now.

Marty likes this.
  7. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Historically, how have XP-Pen and Huion compared to each other in terms of pen quality (such as IAF, sensitivity levels and wobbles), screen quality, driver quality and durability? Anyone have direct experience with both?

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about it. -The normal packaging these devices come in are entirely ship-worthy; I've never had more than the regular cardboard and styrofoam boxes which monitors from China (or anywhere else) come in, and everything has always been good. It's not like Chinese OEMs don't need to protect their items shipped within their national borders. China is filled with bumpy roads and over-worked postal workers same as everybody else.

As for region-specific electronics which deliberately shut down once they cross the border... I seriously doubt it. That would be a huge challenge to enforce, and I believe only DVD players really tried it. It would be a large added engineering cost which these little OEMs are loath to take on. Heck, just getting them to engineer a cable port to come out of the side of a device rather than the bottom is cause for freakin' celebration. And that's basically just a matter of turning a part 90 degrees. Designing and installing an entire extra computer system capable of sensing where it is on the planet's surface and locking the system up if it fails some kind of sniff test..? Not bloody likely.

I suspect the attitude you were facing was just a result of trade warring thanks to state propaganda on both sides of the Atlantic. China is all huffy about the West blocking Huawai from the 5G market (and the Western surveillance pie). -Many Chinese citizens are naive and whipped when it comes to swallowing state propaganda. They're probably just trying to not get arrested for making a sale to a verboten nation.

The era of "Cheap stuff from China" is looking like it may be on the decline, but I suspect you'll get your tablet in one piece and that it'll work just fine.

Good luck, anyway!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    crazycat likes this.
  9. crazycat

Or they just don’t want export order to hurt their international sale, I did buy it for only 2/3 of amazon price(shipping included). But Amazon price would include all shipping, insurance and warranty cost across the whole continent to the west (they still sell internationally, even in the US so I doubt they would get arrested selling to foreigners lol). And I live next to their border without any official store (and shipping cost to warranty would cost another device anyway) so it only make sense to import lol.

I have bought 3 monitors from different Chinese stores, are is still working fine, and this is the first time I get this treatment. Hopefully luck is still on my side with this one.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. crazycat

Of those who active on this forum, @MobileTechReview would be the one with most experience, she had tried Huion, XP-Pen, Cintiq, Ntrig Surface devices, Wacom AES ... I also saw review of Brad Colbow who mentioned that the pen experience on Huion and XP-pen are pretty similar, and that you should pick either based on what chassis/hot key type you prefer. That make me further convinced that they used same panel. No reviews actually talked about driver after long term use though. I have my problem with driver crashing that lead to freeze cursor, messed up express key after 1 month of use. Unplug/replug the usb-c side would be a quick fix, but still annoying.

And I still feel the XP-PEN 12 have a very small delay even at 0 stabilization (cursor trail after pen tip a bit that is easily visible when draw slow), that make line come out while smooth but feel not as natural as Wacom equipped Samsung device. I suspect it's delay caused by sofware processing in the firmware, and I'm also curious on how it's handled by Huion and Gaomon. I will make a comparison if my new Gaomon come in one piece and working.

Edit: @Art_N00b added video comparison of pen delay

We can clearly see the differences of pen delay in the Wacom digitizer at the end. I find the XP-pen 15.6(first release) have less delay but more jitter than the improved 12 Pro, so the improved diagonal line in the pro 12 might have come with the shortcoming of more software processing that lead to more delay. Wacom performed the best out of the three but I haven't actually use a Cintiq that plugged in via USB.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Art_N00b likes this.